KTM 790 owners thread

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by wozzamatta, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thread should be renamed to 790 Duke because the 790 Adventure is a completely different bike and doesn't belong in the road warriors section.
  2. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    It actually feels much lighter then that even.
  3. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    Oops, my mistake, thanks for pointing that out, Smashy
  4. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I made the swap from a 5 year Striple 675 ownership to riding it 150 miles in flash-flood thunderstorms to trade for the 790 S. It was NOT a mistake. Really, however, you need both. You'll have the same fun corner carving on the 790 though....just maybe not pushing yourself as hard but definitely just as fun!
  5. rdnman

rdnman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 790 Adventure One week ago. I went 60 miles on a highway and when I got to the breakfast spot the rear brake disk was a blue color, the caliper was very warm to the touch. I noticed a rubbing sound when I pushed the bike as well. I took the tension off the caliper and the noise went away. After removing the caliper I found there was no lubrication (DRY) on the the caliper pins. The caliper was not able to center itself after the brakes were released. If you find your brakes are binding check the caliper pins for lubrication. Now that the pins have lube all is normal. Good riding.
    scfrank likes this.
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're lucky you caught it; if it gets too hot it fries all the caliper components and ruins the rotor.
    ibgary likes this.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. The original 790 ADV thread may have begun as speculation, but it soon became populated by the first wave of owners, then the 2nd wave and we 790 ADV owners have been jibber jabbering in that thread ever since.

This is hilarious .. :mulie
    SoilSampleDave, Vargubau and braaap! like this.
  8. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I saw that the other day haha
  10. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this the correct thread? Im at a loss wether to get the s or r version. Some say the s is too stiff but has lower seat. Can someone give a feedback? Is it really too stiff? The r in the other hand can be adjusted. But too high for my 28 inseam. But i think i can capt morgan it.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Don't be a sissy, get the R...:D

Seriously, if you want to push harder and harder offroad then get the R. IF the seat is too much for your 28 IS then buy a lower seat from Seat Concepts etc. If you don't want to push really hard offroad and want an equally awesome ride, then buy the S. As far as stiffness - suspension bits had be swapped for whatever is appropriate for your weight, riding, and gear etc but the most adjustability is in the R. Some out of the box riders have, I believe, swapped in a WP Pro suspension into their S. How deep are you pockets?

You could always settle for the F750...:raindance
  12. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol i do want the R. but if i can get the s version some adjustable forks. That'll be sweet :D
  13. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    S is better looking and still very capable off road. However, it's much more capable on the road than the R, which is where nearly everyone will ride most of the time. It's also cheaper to buy.
    scfrank and Seferus like this.
  14. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden both
    which one is nicer to look at
    is obviously a personal preference,
    I prefer the stance of the R
    and the orange graphics of the Standard adventure
    maybe I should put the orange stickers on the R.

I believe a properly set up R with road tyres
    will be better in the road than an standard adventure.
  15. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the s version really that stiff? Or will i be fine on pot holes? Seats can be easily solved by seat concepts.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thats a bold statement, and erroneous for some. My 790 has seen far more kms in the woods than the kms on the blacktop getting me to the woods. I would MUCH rather have my 790 set up for backroads/woods riding in terms of suspension, and tire choice, front-rear geometry, low fairing etc than have it become compromised because I may be a bit uncomfortable in some rare instance as I head further afield to find those more remote trails. To me it's an adventure bike/light enduro bike. If I wanted a street bike, I can think of far more (street) capable, comfy, stereo'd, gigantic wind screened bikes out there which could probably carry a pit or trials bike on a rear rack to boot :D
    CaseyB and ramirin like this.
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy answer. How important is off road? If it’s #1 then get an R. Otherwise S.

Costs a lot more to update an S. Hard part is finding an R.
    windblown101 likes this.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    If you buy R and consider it too high - post here and tomorrow you have swapped suspension with some S rider. Buy S and only choice is to buy xplor Pro or hunt someone who wen't from R to Pro and buy used - no one pays you money for S susp.

All other differences (seats, windscreens, etc.) can go either way as they can be fitted with each other parts.

Edit: 790 adventure R is not an offroad bike, it is very good road motorcycle that can do also offroad with proper tires.
  19. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said "nearly everyone", so not "erroneous" at all.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Still erroneous pending a poll ...