KTM 790 owners thread

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by wozzamatta, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I often go to ride road but end up offroad .. I actually bought 790 for road bike but it felt too good in trail so now it's step by step transforming into 'BigFat AdvEnduro'
    windblown101, TrailTrauma and gsuks like this.
  2. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    the R
    that I am ordering
    will be equipped with the high windscreen
    2 part ergo seat(heated)
    90/10 road tyres
    heated grips
    cruise control
    and suspension set up for road and urban riding(pot holes, speed bumps etc)
  3. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to stiff IMO. I have 8k miles on it since July. Mostly hwy, but also CDT in New Mexico and Montana. I weight 155-160 without gear. In the dirt I have about 50-60 lbs more in camping gear. I think the S suspension is just right for me. I don't race, I explore and ride most dirt at between 20 and 40.
    Seferus likes this.
  4. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @kaertner, I'm with TT on this. I own the R, amd have Motoz Rallz tires (90/10), so you know I am always looking for dirt unless I'm going to work. That's said, the bike handles like a dream on the highway too. The low cg, the responsiveness to peg inputs and weight transfers all come together to make a great handling bike on the road as well as the woods. While I have never ridden the S, the minor geometry tweaks and tire selection may make it handle marginally better on the street, but I don't see that difference being so large as to recommend it as a first choice.

IMO the rule of thumb when considering which one is - Absolutely get the R, Unless;

1) You know you will never ride anything unpaved except a grassy driveway or road under construction.

2) You cannot get at least one toe on the ground while maintaining full control.

3) You have already borrowed and scraped together all the money you can and there is NO WAY you can get the extra grand for the R

That's it - otherwise get the R. And even if all 3 of these things are true for you, do it anyway, because

1) Once you begin ADV riding offroad, you will never regret it and the R is the perfect tool to learn on

2) Unless you are really inseam challenged, there are techniques to use to safely compensate for that. It's really a matter of conquering fear and learning techniques - like all bike riding.

3) if you are gonna spend $12500 for a bike, then you can surely spend $13500. I mean, yes they're good, but not good enough that someone considering this purchase is going to be spending their last penny to get one.

Now go ride
    ramirin and Seferus like this.
  5. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks guys. I think i can handle the r with a bit of practice. Looking forward to seat concepts adv r low comfort. Hehe.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plenty of reasons to save $1000 or more and buy an S model rather than an R model for those who dont need or desire the extra ground clearance and extra bells and whistles on the R. Two more (though temporary) reasons would be lack of availability of the R and the as of yet unresolved shock issues on the R that for whatever reason dont appear to be affecting the S.

For me the R made better sense but if I had shorter legs and only wanted to run gravel roads the S would have been fine, perhaps even overkill.

What precisely makes the S more capable than the R on pavement? I'm genuinely curious because I follow this type of stuff and find it interesting. I'm not talking ergos or tire choice differences because when it comes to ergos everyone is different and tires are a short lived wear item ( I'm on my 4th set in 5 months).
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Nah, few months and you will be here posting how the tall powerparts seat doesn't really feel tall at all and should be standard for R.. :ricky
    Seferus likes this.
  8. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deposit put down this weekend on a 2020 R model! Dealer says delivery is looking like Mid November.
    Luckily Georgia still has plenty of good riding days in November and December. :ricky
    CaseyB and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    The S also has 24 month warranty rather than 12 and no blown shock issues to my knowledge.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    That's a good point regarding the warranty. I'm probably going to spring for an extended warranty as mine is almost expired which adds to the cost. As I understand it the 12 month 12k mile limitation on the R only affects north American owners.
  11. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder what'll happen if warranty expires and then we encounter any one of those issues (like rear shock leak, etc)? still 6-7 months out I think on my bike but curious
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    If the part in question is not the the subject of a recall then getting it repaired for free becomes a matter of a goodwill repair authorization which does happen in some cases but is completely separate from the warranty.
  13. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Curious which model you own that leads to this statement ?
    And have you ridden the other model that you don't own to be able to compare ?
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    R makes driver look better
  15. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a 36 mo extended warranty because "first model year"
  16. ssmv650

ssmv650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I bought an S because the dealer dropped it another 1K plus threw in the Rally mode install. 24 mos warranty is a big deal to me on a really new offering. I also now have a bike that I have been riding for 2 months instead of waiting. I am not good at waiting.

Waited 12 months for a 2004 FJR1300 (ball cooker). God I loved that bike but the heat.
    ibgary likes this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    As I get older the ticking of the clock gets louder... Not wanting to wait was the reason I rolled the dice as well. As a result I racked up 11.5k miles of awesome memories this year on a great bike. Now I have all winter to give it a good going over, get a few issues addressed, make a few more mods, and have it ready to rack up a bunch more miles next year. All that before its main competitor ever hits the showroom floors here in the USA.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  18. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a KTM 5 year extended warranty; 6 years coverage on my R. Peace of mind on a first year model.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Did everyone have these discussions with their dealer? My 790 was parked outside, no one said a f'ng thing about it in terms of a briefing, and after unceremoniously paying the bill, I was handed the usual KTM folder and thats all she wrote. No talk about extended warranties .. just a wise crack about my probably knowing more about the bike then they did already. A dig at the fact that *gasp* I'm one of those freaks who spends time online. The dealer detests the internet...
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    My dealer advised me I was going to be their Guinea Pig before the bike ever arrived since mine was their first one. They were on the ball though. There was some good natured ribbing back and forth about me buying a first model year bike before and after delivery though... lol.

My dealer is not a fan of the internet due to the amount of hysteria and misinformation that gets tossed around when it comes to his industry but he acknowledges there's good info, just a lot of BS to shift thru.