KTM 790 - Rekluse TorqDrive .Vs. KTM OEM Clutch pack

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    isn’t this frustrating? I mean the whole second-to-neutral-only. Do you think the factory pro arm could help or worsen the situation? and lastly, how come you don’t use the camel arm in addition to the Magura? I was really disappointed with clutch pull when I installed my Hymec kit, it was harder to pull than the cable+camel arm combo, so I ended up keeping the camel arm. It feels like butter now!
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For whatever reason I've found this trait to be very common with KTMs once they get some miles on them. Getting to neutral from 1st when stopped is tricky so I tend to either avoid it or just shift from 1st to 2nd and give it a light tap down to find neutral without even bothering to try to find it coming from first. I'm so used to it I rarely think about it anymore. The "why" it happens has always been a mystery to me.
    Orfeas likes this.
  3. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well the OEM setup was like butter and easy to find neutral from 1st. Rekluse said their clutch has a bit more drag which impacts finding neutral. They said it should get better with time and it has improved a little bit but not close to stock. The clutch pull with the stock KTM arm and the Magura Hyvec is fine for me. Not hard at all.
    Orfeas likes this.
  4. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    i find from neutral from 1st with the OEM very easy also the clutch feel is very light
  5. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    something strange I've noticed with rekluse.
    When in 1st gear, the clutch cable is really tight. When in 6th, there is more slack on the cable.
    I can shift up with no clutch use, but can't shift down, the cable seems too tight. I've adjusted it, and adjusted it,...... maybe its due to the cable itself... thinking about getting a hydraulic clutch setup.

Any suggestions?
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I've never noticed a differing clutch slack between 1st and 6th. Can't imagine how that would be possible. You say the cable seems to tight to down shift? I don't understand what you're saying. Are you running the Torque Drive or one of the Rekluse auto clutches.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Rekluse auto clutch or Torq drive Rekluse? I am assuming you are talking auto clutch. Something sounds wrong; have you called Rekluse yet? I once had a plate in the wrong place and they diagnosed it over the phone!
  8. SteveO

Oddometer:
    It's the RADIUSx auto-clutch (P/N RMS-6313100B 'Rekluse RadiusX Auto Clutch - KTM 790 Adventure / Duke'), that features the technology of EXP (I'm guessing it stands for 'expand'), and the TorqDrive (more friction plates).
    Yeah, I'll be calling them about this, as it's just plain weird. I've had the Rekluse in my 500EXC and it was magical. So, I know about the technology and how to tune it.

One thing I found interesting, is their instructions have you put the (EXP RP Base, number 13.1, 85, 13) in into the clutch basket first.

[​IMG]

This video shows a different installation process, and layout. Seems There are serious discrepancies in how this should be assembled.

Go to the 10:41 mark on this video and he shows a different installation pattern.

Definitely need to call Rekluse about this ..
  9. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    That is weird; I don't remember putting the EXP disk in first. I went by the video and mine seems to be working well. I just tried to pull down the instructions from their website and the link is broken. I at first assumed this page was from the installation instructions, but I see from their website this is just the parts fiche. I'll bet somebody did it wrong.
  10. SteveO

Oddometer:
    Yeah.... somethings not right.
    I've reached out to Rekluse, and I'm waiting for a response.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  11. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200908-185745_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Here is the installation diagram.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  12. BHoward

Oddometer:
    I have the latest install instructions.
    If you want them PM me your email and I'll send them to you.
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yep, parts fiche got reversed by the intern most likely.
  14. SteveO

Oddometer:
    HA, yeah, most likely this is the problem.
    Thanks BHoward. PMed ya.
    BHoward likes this.
  15. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Sent.
    Yep, gonna bet this is the problem.
    Good news is you will be very well EXPerienced in the 790 clutch.
    Dan D. likes this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Clarification; you assembled your fancy aftermarket clutch using the parts fiche instead of the instructions or the video? You have made all men everywhere proud of your go-getter “Who needs instructions” mantra!
    comradecasey, Dan D. and BHoward like this.
  17. BHoward

Oddometer:
    The EXP clutch can be seen in these pics about 3 disks back.
    Screenshot_20200908-205755_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200908-205723_Gallery.jpg
  18. BHoward

Oddometer:
    There's a video?
    I have installed a few Rekluse auto clutch's so I did most of the install from the drawing. Then with the cable adjustment, I had to read up on that.
  19. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thought I would stop in with a brief update...

I have about 4kmiles on the TorqDrive clutch pack now and decided to take a peek at it before an upcoming ride across the country and back to see how things are holding up. A good chunk of those miles are off pavement as no work commuting or long trips so far this year.

I was a little concerned how well the inner hub and basket would hold up with those thin steel plates. Seems to be fine. I do have some light chatter marks on the inner hub but they do not appear to be bad enough to cause any issues and had some light marks from the stock clutch pack as well. (15.5k total miles on the Basket and hub at this pont). Oil flow seems sufficient and I'm still running stock oil jet. When I installed the TorqDrive clutch pack the thickness measured 36.68mm. I measured again today and cant detect a change.

Still a bit tricky at times to find neutral but I've gotten very adept and getting it on the first try with a light tap down from 2nd. I rarely can find neutral coming up from 1st. No big deal though.

((Yes, I run Motul so the oils looks a bit dark and red) 20200918_124022.jpg 20200918_122613.jpg 20200918_124816.jpg 20200918_124854.jpg
    No-Fret and BHoward like this.
  20. BHoward

Oddometer:
    In a time of most complaining it is refreshing to read a great post. Just a update packed full of useful and helpful information. Great pictures as well.
    Thank you for the great post.
    Do you have a thread on where your going on your trip?
    If your riding any where close to Dallas I got plenty of room and great food.
    No-Fret likes this.