KTM 790 takes a few tries to start

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by doctorblanco, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think that matters. The ecu just “listens” for that initial press.
  2. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Quick press with indeed finger, no touching throttle. It turns over on its own and fires up quickly. Then the rpms fall immediately down and it dies.
  3. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are any of you new posters reading the thread from the start or just posting???
    chippertheripper and fiascoj like this.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first got the bike I’d turn the key on and hold down the starter until it fired. It fairly consistently took three tries to start.

When I clued into it being fuel injected I started tapping the starter and it fairly consistently took two tries to start.

When I noticed the fuel pump would run for a second or two after turning the power and ignition on and I started giving it time to prime the fuel line it fairly consistently took one try to start.

Sometimes it still takes two times to start, but I’m also getting single starts at temperatures down to -4. I think the hard starting in the morning has less to do with temperature and more to do with fuel delivery, particularly if the pump has no time to prime before ignition.
  5. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Been watching/reading this thread since the first post, thank you.
  6. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had it start first time and after four attempts on the same tank of fuel. Our fuel is generally good quality and 95 octane.

Tried all the different starting techniques, quick push, waiting for 30 sec before starting, starting as soon as the dash lights up etc. etc.
    I've even had the bike start up first time in the morning and then ten hours later when leaving work it needed a few tries.
    Mine started soon after I got the bike and the only thing I could think is I bought the bike at a higher altitude and I live at sea level but I'm pretty sure the ECU should compensate for the difference in altitude.
    Later this week I will disconnect the Booster Plug and see if the issue has returned, will report back.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont have a 790, but do you wait for the pump to ramp up or just do it?
  8. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wait for the pump, have tested a few different methods but none worked consistently.
    This is why I believe its due to the lean idle (Euro 5) as soon as I fitted the booster plug the problem went away and all it does is make the mixture a bit richer.
    It has no bearing on the fuel pump, how the start button is pressed etc.
    Just for the sake of giving all the details I have removed the catalytic converter but the problem started before it was removed.
  9. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it’s a combo of lean mixture and fuel quality.
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  10. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve done 5 stone cold starts since installing the Booster Plug and all were first start. At this point I’m going to say the BP solves the multi start issue.
    Motopumps likes this.
  11. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    I installed the Booster Plug I had for my 1290 SA last night. (I removed it when I put on Rotteweiler fueling dongles)

Two starts, worked first time for each. Rode to work this morning. Smoother low RPM partial throttle drivability. Bike pulls better from low RPM in upper gears. Will see how much this affects MPG. Definitely a noticeable difference.

Rob
    Tool.Nerd and windblown101 like this.
  12. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed the booster plug the other day. At first I was a little disappointed; when I went to start it, same ol crap - it died quickly. Started it up again and let it run for a bit. Let it sit for another 8 hours or so and checked it the next morning. Fired right up, idle sounds wayyyy better, not like it's choking and revving up and down. Holds steady. Two more tests with another 10+ hours between and same results.

Will get out and ride it this weekend to test throttle response, but so far loving it.
    Venturer and Thumper Dumper like this.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All these poor / intermittent start issues are intriguing... I’ve never, ever had a false start from day 1, hot, cold... not one. Mine has started every time after TFT has done it’s ‘ready’ cycle, fuel pump actuation...
    Have a BP now to install and evaluate the idle characteristics and fuel economy, just for shits and giggles.

Maybe our air is thicker down here?..
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  14. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Where is down here?
  15. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Yes, please tell us about the mileage hit.
  16. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Ask Men At Work and they might give you the answer with a smile and a vegemite sandwich mate :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Buggar had to edit my poor spelling :fpalm
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheers Mate! :)
    kzeb likes this.
  18. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    went to visit a lady friend in NZ, she feeds her kids that Marmite crap. BARF
  19. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also very curious what yhe booster plug does to fuel economy. I have beem very much enjoying 54 to 58mpg!
    Venturer likes this.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    One of my favourite bands in HS. Saw Collin Hay live here in a small bar yrs ago.

//

My bike, too, used to take 2 or 3 tries until I started doing 2 things, one smart and one dumb. First I changed from a hold to a tap on the red button, and second I blip the throttle quickly a second later. haha. Works like a charm...