KTM 790 takes a few tries to start

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by doctorblanco, Sep 10, 2019.

1. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Seems like every KTM I've owned with electric start does not want to start if you initially press and hold start button; especially if cold and been sitting more than a day or two.

But, if you turn on the ignition, allow the fuel pump to build psi, then just bump the starter for a mere second or less...than pause a second...than press the start button it will crank right up. Just seems to be one of those quirks with a KTMs.

If you have a lithium battery, when parked at home, best to have a lithium specific battery maintainer attached 24/7/365. I have a Shoai Lit battery and maintainer and no issues starting, even when cold. My maintainer died out-of-warranty and Shoai replaced it at no cost. That's customer service!
  2. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The instructions for my Shorai charger say you can leave it on, but once charged, if it's kept in a temperature controlled environment, it can be detached and left as is for up to a year.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there is no parasitic drain from the bike on the battery I'm sure this is true. Lithium batteries have a very low self discharge rate. Problem is that some bikes, especially ones that have alarm systems, always hot USB adapters or other items improperly wired up do discharge the battery of an idle bike in a fairly short period of time.
  4. kubcat

Oddometer:
    true, in fact, the instructions did specifically say as long as there is no parasitic drain...
  5. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I don't see that info in the maual for the BMS-01 charger. I keep the charger plugged in all the time in the shop and use STORE mode. Charger manual here.

My shop, while enclosed, is not climate controlled other than a dehumidifier.
  6. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Printed right on the charger, but NOT found in the instruction sheet.

Attached Files:

7. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Imagine that! Never thought to look there! Thx for posting!
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Being as you're in the coastal low country, I doubt it would ever get cold enough for long enough to worry about the battery if there was no active drain on it. It does seem like the charger is smart enough to just leave it connected all the time, but when I connect mine to the fully charged battery, both lights flash and it doesn't want to go to steady light on storage mode, so that made me nervous and I just disconnected it.
  9. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Whenever I plug mine in, both lights flash and I simply select STORE. I keep it in store 24/7 and the light stays steady. It is pretty rare for us to stay below freezing in winter once the sun is up.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Every time I press store, both lights flash, but if the battery needs a charge and I press charge, the charge light goes steady. Maybe the charger is defective.
  11. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Could be...call Shorai out in CA. I don't recall the guy's name (their only tech support person), but, he was extremely helpful.
  12. CC Ryder

CC Ryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that for 2020 they have not addressed this issue.. I picked up my new bike yesterday.. It currently has 0 miles on it. Walked out to the garage this morning (34*F).. it took 4 attempts to start and keep running.. then it surged from 1600 to 2000 rpm until it got to the first bar on the temp gauge.. Is this what everyone is seeing? And the booster plug eliminates BOTH of these problems? This combined with no owners manual.. makes for a not so great first impression.
  13. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't had any stalling on mine but it's probably only been down to about 45 in my garage so far. Mine flairs up on start but settles back down pretty much right away.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Once the adaptive values have had a chance to adjust you may find it gets better. It seems to take some time. Mine almost always starts on the first push now. I seem to recall 1090 owners reporting similar issues when it first came out.
  15. Robinwm

Robinwm n00b

Oddometer:
    I
    its not about battery from china. I found its bcz gas pump on ur end of left tank, open it take it out and if u found some white cover ur gas pump ,clean it after that it will fixed I do it twice in 5000KM now its never happen again.
  16. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2020 doesn’t seem to have any problem. Starts right up in even 30 degree weather. Are you all waiting for the screen to boot up and fuel pump to pressurize before hitting the Starter button?
  17. VessG

VessG n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party here but want to note that I just bought the 2020 390 Adventure (zero miles) and it also does that, from a cold start. It did it twice in a row. The third time I opened the throttle slightly to have it stay alive.

Also, I rented a 790 a few months back and it had the same issue too.

Fuel quality is fine, shell V-power.

And yes, I always wait for the fuel pump sound to stop.
  18. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    No horse in this game yet...but hopefully soon! I would suggest a crank position sensor if this were a car it is a classic cold start problem symptom. Any way to troubleshoot?
  19. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are excessively lean. There is no hardware issue.

I installed a BoosterPlug I had laying around that I took off my 1290 SA when I did Rottweiler fueling dongles. It has not happened a single time since installing the BoosterPlug. No commercial interest, not a dealer, etc., etc.

Rob
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    This doesn't surprise me. Though as I mentioned, the bikes do seem to eventually adapt the fueling tables to eliminate the cold start issue, but it takes awhile... 13k (miles) on mine now. Somewhere around the 5k mark was the last time I had to hit the starter button twice. Completely stock motor/intake/exhaust with the exception of an Ozzie UNI airfilter.