1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 takes a few tries to start

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by doctorblanco, Sep 10, 2019.

1. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I had trouble starting my 790 after purchase, then threw a booster plug on it for a a few days to try it out but did'nt like the MPG loss, however it solved the starting issue. I took it off and went another 300 miles with it starting only after 3-4 tries.
    For some reason, around 500 mile mark it started firing up with one hit. I always let the pump cycle first.
  2. hcd

hcd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine seems to have cured itself.
    No-Fret likes this.
  3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    My bike was fine for ~3k miles then started having starting problems. Dealer reset the learning and then I had no problems for a week or so but the starting issues came back. (2020 model).
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Is your bike all stock? Any mods?
  5. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I have the power parts off road filter and UniFilter snorkel pre-filters. Still waiting for the Rottweiler airbox cover which will replace the snorkel situation. Otherwise it's stock from a motor perspective.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. Nobbster

Nobbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I began experiencing the "cold start" issue about 300 miles in on a new 2020 790 ADV R. Didn't happen initially. Followed proper starting procedure, using high octane non-ethanol gas...etc.... Just took the bike in for first service and brake recall repair and explained the "cold start" issue to the KTM tech. He reset the "adaptation valves" and said that 90% of the time the reset corrects the problem. Since the reset, the bike starts first press of ignition every time.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. Dustycowboy

Dustycowboy Cantine

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my bike to the dealer in about a week and have the cold start issue too. Do you have more info on the "adaptation valves" thing? A quick google search didn't yeild anything about that...
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that was a typo, or perhaps a hear-o. Adaptation values. The bike learns as you ride. Sometimes it learns the wrong stuff and takes a while to slowly adjust to current reality. Resetting the adaptation (learned) values to factory defaults can speed up the re-learning process. But the bike may not run as well as before the reset until the adapted values stabilize.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  9. Dustycowboy

Dustycowboy Cantine

Oddometer:
    It makes sense! Thanks for your help. I can't wait to see what the dealer will have to say. The problem seems to be getting worse every week. The bike started just fine in may when I bought it, then in june it began to die every now and then unpon cold start up. Now it's almost every cold start.
  10. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the booster plug and it solved that issue.
  11. Dustycowboy

Dustycowboy Cantine

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I red somewhere it could solve the problem. Personnaly, I'd prefer that my bike runs correctly by itself before modding it.
  12. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. It was plug-n-play and solved my issue. Ha.

Reading previous posts, not sure where they'd find the "values" - software reset ?
  13. Dustycowboy

Dustycowboy Cantine

Oddometer:
    Probably! Not something someone can do by himself, in his own garage, with his own tools. That, I really don't like.
  14. Foogie

Foogie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is hard to start when it's hot outside with the engine cold, when it's cold outside the ecu will make the mixture rich and it's starts the first time. It's been starting first time, every time until it got hot out, but it's still doing better than when it was new.
    Dustycowboy likes this.
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may take special KTM software or maybe an off the shelf OBD II device with appropriate software can do the job. I had a third party diagnostics tool for my last bike, a beemer. It let me do things like reset adaptation values, exercise the ABSm, etc. I haven't played with the 790 OBD II interface so am not sure what, if anything, it can do.

As for the subject of this thread... my "took a few tries to start" issues went away on their own. I suspect the bike adapted. I think it took 3 or 4 K miles. At some point I realized it had been quite a while since it took a second push of the starter to get the bike going.
    Dustycowboy likes this.
  16. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the adaptive values store in volatile memory (aka, are they reset when the battery is disconnected)?

Like others, last year I had issues with it taking two to three starts when cold (initially, I was holding the starter down as I didn’t realize it just needed a quick push, and then I was flicking it from kill to start without letting the fuel pump prime).

This year, after having the battery pulled and stored inside wall winter, I haven’t had a single issue.
  17. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Mine continued to have to cold start issue through 14k miles. Several resets of the adaptation, multiple weeks left at dealer on multiple occasions, eventually got sick of 2-3 tries and did the booster plug. By that point, I had to. It's a great bike and I love every part of it but the unreliability of the starting was scaring me.
    Dustycowboy and No-Fret like this.
  18. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fact is they start reliably. It may take a few presses on the button, but no one has said every now and then it just stalls each time, so I couldn't get it running. It will start every time you need it to.
    Dustycowboy likes this.
  19. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    About once every 2-3k miles, I stall the bike in traffic. More frequently if I've been riding the other bike recently. Brag all you want about how it starts every time on every third time, but for idiots like me, that won't work.

It'd be different if it was just a cold start issue.

Go ahead and tell me I don't know how to ride. I'll be the first to admit I'm a klutz at everything.
  20. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're the first I've heard of that won't start when the engine is warm (i.e. stalling while riding). That is a different story. There may be more to it than the typical 3 tries to start in the morning most (including me) have experienced...