KTM 790 takes a few tries to start

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by doctorblanco, Sep 10, 2019.

1. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I had trouble starting my 790 after purchase, then threw a booster plug on it for a a few days to try it out but did'nt like the MPG loss, however it solved the starting issue. I took it off and went another 300 miles with it starting only after 3-4 tries.
    For some reason, around 500 mile mark it started firing up with one hit. I always let the pump cycle first.
  2. hcd

hcd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine seems to have cured itself.
    No-Fret likes this.
  3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    My bike was fine for ~3k miles then started having starting problems. Dealer reset the learning and then I had no problems for a week or so but the starting issues came back. (2020 model).
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Is your bike all stock? Any mods?
  5. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I have the power parts off road filter and UniFilter snorkel pre-filters. Still waiting for the Rottweiler airbox cover which will replace the snorkel situation. Otherwise it's stock from a motor perspective.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. Nobbster

Nobbster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I began experiencing the "cold start" issue about 300 miles in on a new 2020 790 ADV R. Didn't happen initially. Followed proper starting procedure, using high octane non-ethanol gas...etc.... Just took the bike in for first service and brake recall repair and explained the "cold start" issue to the KTM tech. He reset the "adaptation valves" and said that 90% of the time the reset corrects the problem. Since the reset, the bike starts first press of ignition every time.
    BobcatSig likes this.