1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 950 ADV Low fuel sensor replacement

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rogtek, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rogtek

rogtek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone!

I own a KTM 950 adv model 2004 which had a problem with the fuel reserve sensor. The problem was that the sensor did not monitor the fuel level and the low fuel light and the F trip meter didn’t came on so there was no warning that I was running out of gas! :confused

I decided to replace the fuel sensor and post the procedure for anyone who might have the same problem. It’s very easy and low cost.

Note: Before replacing the fuel sensor it’s better to check if indeed the problem is a faulty fuel sensor. For checking the problem follow steps 1 to 11.

Let’s start! The fuel level sensor is located in the left tank.
    What we need:
    1) The toolbox that came with the bike
    2) The replacement part (GAS FUEL - LEVEL SENSOR ADV. 2002 Part. No. 58207080000) at a cost of 48$ (ktmtwins.com, cyclehutt.com)
    3) Allen wrenches
    4) Approximately one hour time

Steps:
    1) Remove the seat
    [​IMG]

2) Remove the left crash bar (if installed)

3) Remove the glove box between the tank (six Phillips (crosshead) screws)
    [​IMG]

4) Remove the left top of the fairing (five allen screws), being careful to remove the turn signal cable and the cross over hoses
    [​IMG]

5) Close all three fuel taps and remove the fuel lines from the left tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7) Remove the three allen screws holding the left tank without removing it from the bike
    [​IMG]

8) Carefully pull slightly towards you the right side of the tank (as we see it) so you can remove the fuel sensor cable and the pressure equalization hose
    [​IMG]

9) Then raise a little the tank and remove it from the bike

10) At this point we can check if the fuel sensor is functional. Cut a small piece of electrical wire and short-circuit the fuel level cable coming from the ECU.

11) Turn the ignition switch on and if the low fuel light and F trip meter comes on then the problem is in the fuel level sensor. Otherwise it is a problem in another part of the bike and you should visit your mechanic. Repeat the test procedure a couple of times just to be sure.

12) Once we confirmed that the sensor is damaged, we proceed to the replacement. Lay the tank on it’s side and unscrew the two allen screws which hold the fuel sensor
    [​IMG]

13) Install the new fuel sensor in the same way, being careful not to forget the rubber sealing

15) That’s about all! :nod For assembly follow the reverse procedure, checking for any leaks
    Akh01 likes this.
  2. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Good guide, thanks.

Right...........

We need a confession box......

Hands up, how many people have taken the left tank off and forgot to unplug the sensor?

I know someone who has, its not me.. honest :cry

So anyone successfully soldered a wire back onto that sensor?
    alongat likes this.
  3. superhak31

superhak31 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently ran out of fuel with no warning. Bummer. Luckily i was in town and 2 blocks from fuel.
    I followed the instructions you post and BINGO. Bad sensor. Ordering a new one right now. And a spare fuel can.:D
    Thanks for the post.
  4. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pay attention to the position how the sensor comes out of the tank:) And install the new sensor that way also.. Not upside down:)
  5. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I intentionally installed mine upside down. Was sick of it flashing when I still had 80km to go. Upside down it comes on with about 50km to go. Also carry a 1 gallon (US) Rotopack on my wolfman racks for insurance. It can be a long way between drinks here in Oz.:1drink
  6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    So I think flashing when reserve is less is the correct mounting.
    Cheers.
  7. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm the position of the sensor? I believe mine was pointing up.
  8. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Standard they point up

But I'm putting mine in down. What a great idea............ Thanks Mate
  9. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to buy a fuel sensor for my SE, but haven't gotten around to it. I discovered the wire was torn from the sensor when I had the tank off one day. I couldn't figure oiut why my reserve light wasn't coming on. Previous owner must have forgotten to disconnect the plug when chnaging to Safari......anyway, anyone have a spare one they wanna sell...?:D

I have other goodies i could maybe swap for it.....Or I guess I could just swallow the $40 - $50 for a new one
  10. multistraddler

multistraddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you smart guys and gals know how to test the sensor directly? My bike is in bits and the battery is in the basement on a tender. I'm an electrical idiot, but suppose there is some way to test impedance in the sensor to see if it is working.

The low fuel sensor on the bike was working when I bought it used, but on a recent trip through CA I ran out of fuel on 395 near Mammoth Lakes. I don't have a Rotopax (need to rectify that situation...). I thought my morning was fubar since I was 5 miles from a gas station, but just as I was about to trundle down the hill towards the last little town I had passed, I saw a state trooper headed north towards me and flagged him down. Super nice guy, Officer Chavez, gave me a lift to the gas station, back to my bike, then even returned the empty gas can to the gas station for me! What a guy!

From that point forward I've obviously been paying closer attention to my fuel usage, but might as well fix this while the bike is apart.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any one have a photo of the other side of the sensor? I've never seen one out of the tank. Does it have a float or just electrical contacts?
  12. Hiatus

Hiatus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just electrical. Nothing mechanical.

[​IMG]
  13. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    All,
    it's a typical low-cost level sensor using a thermistor... and yes they do break occasionally, but they're easy to fix if you're prepared to do a little soldering.
    If I remember correctly there was a thread on this forum some time ago covering the subject. A new thermistor is pennies.

Cheers... Paul
  14. rafaelgimenesleite

rafaelgimenesleite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
  16. multistraddler

multistraddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Just tested my old one on the bench. 10.25 ohms at 20k. That's off the charts toast compared to the results in the linked thread.
    New $46 unit ordered from cheapcycleparts.com. I'm too lazy to solder for $...And I needed other parts to complete the rebuild.
    My bike: '04 950A @ 35k miles.
  17. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thermistor, got it.
  19. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the helpful thread. My fuel light was also 'broken' as I found out the hard way! I learned how to short-circuit the fuel level sensor from the ECU because of this, and confirmed my sensor has indeed gone bad. Thanks again.
  20. cowells

cowells Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd do this the other day. No worries, it's just an hours work plus I can get in and have a good look around and clean up at the same time so all good.
    Take guard, plastics and tank off, eh so far so good
    Go to undo sensor. One allen bolt no probs the next loosens then just turns the captive nut. Bollocks
    Can't put any heat on it as it's already leaking fuel even though I'd emptied it out.
    Start drilling the head off which starts ok but then just spreads as I'm drilling it, I can't lever the sensor off as it may break or crack the tank.
    Get a small punch and chip the rest of the allen head off.
    Lever off sensor and have about 8mm of thread stuck out of the captive nut
    How the f--k am I gonna get the captive nut off and then re-seal it back in. I made a puller that I could screw onto the 4mm thread stuck out of the nut and managed to pull it out. It's like an upside down four sided pyramid.
    I put it in a vice then welded a nut onto the thread and managed to undo it.
    Then heated up the upside down pyramid captive nut thingy, filled the hole with hot glue and pushed the nut back in being very careful not to go straight through and into the tank as that'd be game over.
    Then had to file the 2mm of nut that was still sticking up, down with a thin power file.
    Put gasket sealer onto the new sender as well as the rubber 'O' ring that was already on it and bolted the lot back together.
    24hrs later put fuel in it to test.
    WOHOOO all good. Put all back together and test.
    One hour my arse
    nk14zp likes this.