KTM 950 Adventures on the Dealer Floor

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Goss, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    OK, this is for the ones who are like babys waiting for there new toys!
  2. Toolman

Toolman toolman

Oddometer:
    Patch

What a surprise! We just came in from putting the first 12 miles on it and I must say it exceeded all of my expectations. It is very smooth and has a light nimble feel to the handling. Power is seamless and linear and in great abundance. I rolled it on riding double in 5th gear and it touched 100 mph without any effort or strain.

My recommendation to everyone who even remotely thinks they want one of these is: Don't ride one if you can't afford to buy it! It will make everything else pale by comparison! If you like motorycles you will love this one!Ride it and you will find a way to buy it or go nuts trying!

We are loading up tomorrow night for the dual sport in Amsterdam, GA. I hope to leave early Friday am and get down there early enough to put some breakin miles on the South GA back roads. Don't worry, I'm riding the 520EXC at the dual sport!

Thanks again for the pictures

Toolman

PS Ken at ProLine really treated me good on the bike. He is setting up one of the silver ones as a demo and expects to get a total of 7 bikes this year.:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  3. Dukegirl

Dukegirl .

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Toolman!!! :drums Enjoy!
  4. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    I hear what you are saying. I only sat on it and really wanted it. That is great news if they will have a demo. I guess I better put the other two bikes and car up for sale so I can get one, of course they may not get another like yours for a while so I am safe, I think. Let me know if you want to do some really nice photos, too bad it is illegal to ride up stone mountain, it would look great up there. We can do some photos and a really nice report. I personally want a poster sized print to hang on my wall, might have to move the BMW Adventure poster over. Keep us posted, what a cool bike.
  5. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    Toolman what kind of accessories are you going to get for it? A set of TT cases? We are waiting to see.
  6. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    Went to Fay Meyers this AM. The dufus i talked to said that they are getting 2 in a month. They have benn saying that for 6 months! So who the hell knows when they'll be here.:splat
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    This?

Attached Files:

• ktm.jpg
      ktm.jpg
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Toolman

Toolman toolman

Oddometer:
    Patch, the center stand and composite bags are on order. Think I'll try the tank bag I have now.

Toolman
  9. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man have you guys been busy. I spent all day yesterday after work removing that damn worm blaster virus from my wife's laptop. And would'nt you know it my KTM dealer calls me while I am sitting there with my wife in tears.

"Goss, Curtis here at KTM. Your bike is not here yet but a KTM rep is bringing an S to my shop today. It was one of the dealer meeting demos. You should come out and swing a leg over it. Maybe even ride it."

You have got to be freaking kidding me. I am stuck at the house with no possible way in hell to weasel my way out of this. So now both me and my wife are in tears working on that damn laptop. And if I could get my hands on that SOB that wrote this virus the world would never have to worry about this shit again.

I can only pray that my S will come in in the next few days so that my sanity will be intact.

Guess I better call my dealer today to see if the demo S is still there. Yeah, right. Good luck.

Allen, congrats dude. Patch 29, thanks for the photos. Rad, stay out of Texas. Just kidding. Of course Arch and I will have to hook up here in a few once I actually get this thing in my hands.

Keep the info coming guys. It keeps me going and waiting. Oh the waiting.

Goss
  10. Renazco

Oddometer:
    Hey Goss, I'm in tears just reading this:2cry It looks like the trucks are making there way over to the west coast. I'll be hounding my dealer today maybe even camp out a while. I really wanted one in Orange in the smaller one but if that Siver looks as good as everybody says then maybe Silver it is! :getdown
  11. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are those tears of laughter or sorrow ?

On the KTM TALK website there is a dealer in Washington State that says he has 2 standards and an S on the floor. Unsold ! So I think they are on your coast buddy !

Here is the website if you do not have it.

http://www.ktmtalk.com/

Keep a look out !

Goss, STILL WAITING
  12. Toolman

Toolman toolman

Oddometer:
    I just came in from a 30 mile loop in the country. About 10 of this was dirt and gravel roads. I'm pleased to report the 950S is as stable on the dirt as it is on pavement. 40mph on the dirt feels slow and 60 feels about right except for in the blind corners. Everyone that has seen the bike has commented what a beautiful motorcycle it is. The finish detail is outstanding and is equal to any other brand I've seen. you will not be disappointed after your long wait for the 950's arrival!

toolman:):
  13. Grover

Grover Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how many shop hours is typical service after the the initial 600 miler?
  14. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    Goss et all,
    I rode it home 200 miles from my Phoenix dealer. It is a Silver S as he traded my orange for the silver. Bernie's in Mesa AZ. has now 2 silver and my Orange plastic on a Non S. A plug!
    It is twisties all the way up to the mountains, and I left in 100 degree heat. Engine never left its heat range, and the fan comes on in traffic, but can't hear it on the the road! everything works as has been described in the publications.
    The seat is not the greatest but doable. The throttle response is like a 916, quicky revs out of control and at 80mph it does the same thing. Handling is light and quick, a little slow flipping between the yellow line breaks, but to be expected on a highly suspended bike.
    Tank filling a breeze and the crossover flow worked as it should.
    I am 6' 4'' and the screen air flow hit the top of my visor, and my shoulders seemed to be protected. Though I had some bugs on my arms above the elbow areas.
    42MPG on the first fillup, was not bad for a new bike. Computer is fun but was set for KM and I didn't have the manual with me at the time so I didn't know you had to hold the mode button for 10 SECONDS to change MPH. 20 police enroute kept me in control of that fabulous throttle.
    The Bike has some vibration above 4000rpm, that I wish wasn't there. But I should mention that GS's drive me nuts and my Elefants sometimes do too.
    Seat to peg is pefect, might like to raise handlebars as standing is a little short. Handlebar reach seated is very good though. Seated my feet are flat on the ground with a boot on. Even at my height, I am long in the torso, 32-33 inseam.
    Goss, you're going to love it.
    I will take it to Al Jesse of Jesseluggage.com next week so those of you interested will have that excellent choice.
    Allen.
  15. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Allen! You are probably the first to swap out the plastic for sure. Just wonder how many dealers are going to be willing to do that. You must be tight with them.

I dumped my 996 to get this bike so I am glad to here that the engine reminds you of that breed. Plus the rear end has a similar look I think with the twin cans.

I bet the vibes will smooth somewhat with more miles. SOMMER KTM rep Rainer Kroll suggested via email that we try a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. Leaning more for the off road obvioulsy.

You certainly have a great area to ride that Austrian beast. Please share some photos as you break her in up the the mountains where she belongs.

I was also wondering when Jesse was going to start his majic on this piece.

I am really excited for you and all that have taken delivery.

Goss, Still waiting
  16. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Are the valve adjusters screw and locknut, or shims?

Jon
  17. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shims.

Goss
  18. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Doh!

Jon
  19. Renazco

Oddometer:
    Hey Diaz, it looks like your showing a bit of interest in the underpowered KTM 950 huh?:rofl Seriously though, It doesn't hurt to take one for a test ride, you'll never know you just may be pleasantly surprised:ricky I used to feel bias against the GS Adv untill I rode it a dozen times before I began to understand the bike. I like my GS for long range travel but I don't have as much fun on it as I do my KTM 400 EXC.
  20. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's called "The Orange Crush". Spreading like wild fire I see.

Goss