KTM 950 Adventures on the Dealer Floor

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Goss, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    I've been interested in it for as long as its been rumored. Why do you'd think I'd be so upset about it being a gutless turd? :D Save the hate mail, I'm only kidding!

Unfortunately, I live amongst some pretty lame KTM dealers who have enough trouble keeping the one-lungers running. Showing up with something this high-tech might make their brains explode.

Jon
  2. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I know what it's like to be around lame dealers with no passion for understanding or learning, anyways just giving you a hard time Senior Diaz. Here you go, this one is on me.
  3. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Yeah...

Our dealers here in Ontario/Quebec have been totally clueless.

They don't know anything about the "S" model, and can't confirm anaything about delivery dates, colours, features, accessories or anything.

I resorted to calling KTM Canada Directly. Surprisingly, they are not that further ahead.

They have confirmed that the "S" model will be ditched in favour of three colours of regular model (silver, orange, and black), and a "Special Edition" Paris-Dakar version in Blue. However, they couldn't tell me anything about the features of the Dakar wrt suspension travel etc., and couln't confirm anything about details like wheel colours etc.

They believed that there were a handfull of the original "S" model that were scheduled to come to Canada, but again, no confirmation.

Best I could do was get a commitment for them to call me back in a few days to find out if I could get one of the "S" Models.

Arrggh....

What a silly experience!
  4. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Donny at Scuderia (San Francisco) this morning. He said that they'll be getting a dozen bikes next week. Almost all of them will be standards. Apparently, only 5% of the bikes coming to the U.S. will be "S" models.
  5. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    I stopped back by my local dealer and snapped a few more shots of the 950 Adventure in Silver. You can access higher res images if you want to see more of the details.

950 photos
  6. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aside from the obvious rare factor associated with the "S" model, it seems to me, that the silver one is be better.

Better handling road
    Easier to ride off-road for anyone under about 6'-2"

But then again, I'm a pussy, and I like the standard GS more than the Adventure.

:dj
    R-dubb
  7. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian,

Did you install the wood floors yet? (my wife wants to know)

I went down to Cliff's Cycles and checked out the bikes. They have sold the 950S, but have three silver ones. Very nicely put together, and the weight seems much lower than my e900 was. Still, I am not convinced yet it is the bike for me. I shutter to think about dropping one on the trail, and I seem to drop my 640 at least once each time I go trail riding. Not that I think it would self destruct when dropped, but it is very pretty unscathed.

Maybe the ticket is a 625sxc dual sported, as the second bike :>

Chris
  8. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    My local dealer was telling me that KTM is coming out with a supermotard version of the 625 SXC in the Spring of '04 which is essentially the SXC made fully street legal (for California too!) with 17" wheels on it. You could then buy a second set of wheels for the dirt, and have a motard/baja/off road bike street legal in California. Sounds like a nice option to me.
  9. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Yeah...Chris

The wood floors are scheduled for late fall! Still going ahead as planned...I have one word for you N.E.G.O.T.I.A.T.I.O.N. Everyone has a price!

I am REALLY torn as well. I LOVE the 950...BUT..I too fear the 950 is not enough of a trail bike. At the same time, as much as it does it, I feel my 640 is under powered and not enough for the really long distances (more wind protection, and a longer seat for a passenger are necessary, while a spring pre-load adjuster woudl be great too).

I think maybe the thing to do might be to put a bigger windshield on the 640, hop it right up (720cc kit???), and put a longer seat on it by hacking the sub-frame...

I Dunno...I need a bike that REALLY does EVERTHING. As close as the 640 is, it is not enough on the long touring end for my need...At the same time I can't afford to lose any of the dirt ability. As always happens, this weekend we again found ourselves on an old quad trail while trying to link some old fire-roads together...the 950 would not have made it through there for sure--the 640 barely made it through the big rocks, roots and mud pits...We got really tired moving our 640s through there, and thought of turning around more than once...but the 640 made it!

On the way back home later on doing 120km/h for 2 hours of highway after 13 hours on the road, the wind was really getting on my nerves, and the engine buzzing at 6000 rpm was starting to get to me...

I guess most people don't do what I do...What I find myself doing is 2.5 hours of more open/fast roads to get to an area 200+kms away, then 6-7 hours of exploring the local logging roads/trails, then ride back home....so I need a bike that can really to it all. PLUS, I would like the bike to be up to the task of taking me and my wife camping far away on a weekend....arggg... So...I like I said...I dunno...it's like I would need the 950 chassis configuration, with a 70hp single, and that weights 340 lbs dry.....(Don't we all???)

hmmm....
  10. Off Road Toad

Off Road Toad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Goss,
    DFW KTM told me Saturday that they would have a 950 today or tomorrow. I want to ride one before taking the leap as I am am a bit unsure about my ability to handle it off-road. It took me a while to get used to the 640 off road as I am short only 5'8". I want it for the distance capability. I haven't talked to Cycle Town South as they are running an ad for deposits which sounds too much like Harley Dealers.
  11. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed we do.

Is this really so much to ask?

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  12. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Off Road Toad, I have been trying to hold my mouth here but I am afraid I am going to have to let it out.

Your all aware I had my deposit in for a while now (10 months). My dealer which at this time is still Cycle Town was to get one S model in his first shipment. Which was to be my bike. I was the first on the list for an S. Well my dealer calls me this pas Friday and tells me that because he sold that demo S model the KTM rep dropped off last Monday KTM USA is considering that his first S model. So I am now being told that the next shipment he is getting in is scheduled for the first week in September. Is this the shits or what ?:splat

So I called John at DFW KTM and he is checking to see if he will get an S model with his first shipment. He has not heard back from KTM to verify this yet.

Needless to say I am not a happy customer currently. I am willing to give my dealer a chance but I really feel betrayed here. I am going to pay cash for this bike so if DFW KTM gets one for me first my loyalty is going right down the crapper real quick.:flush

My weekend was totally screwed thinking about this shit.

Enjoy those S models gents.

Disgruntled Goss:cry
  13. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Off Road Toad, where is this add being run by Cycle Town South ?

Goss
  14. Scotty

Scotty Adventurer X

Oddometer:
    Hey Goss, I heard of your story from John (my partner at DFW KTM) about the S bike on Saturday and wondered if he might be referring to you!
    I am sitting at home today but lemme give him a call and see what the status is....be back in a minute!

Off Road Toad- Did you check out the Jah Chihuahua site???
    Sure would be nice to have a teammate !!!!

:freaky
    Scotty
  15. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scotty, be my saivor here buddy oh pal !

Thanks in advance, Goss
  16. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scotty, John has my phone numbers. Let him know I am waiting for a call with info. I will be off the web for a while today but have my mobile on.

Again thanks for the followup,

Goss
  17. Off Road Toad

Off Road Toad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Goss,
    The Cycletown add is running in the Cycle Trader, back in the section with KTM stuff. I am sorry to hear about your trouble, but I think you will like dealing with John and Scotty at DFW, I do and I would rather spend my money there, plus it's closer to my house. I live in Arlington and the drive to Lancaster is too far. Right now I am trying to decide if I want to go with one of the last Adventures(03) or the 950, I will go back this week to look at the 950 if they get one. I am not a canidate for the "s" because of short Sh*#t syndrome. I can't wait to see one in the flesh. Let us know how things are working out.

Scotty, I checked out the site, looks like it would be cool, I will have to save$$$ for something like this, I don't have a roadbook or IMO. Before you take me as a team mate you better find out if I can even keep up. I am interested for sure, I talk to you about it some more this week. I know I will need some training or practice rides. I would not want to ride it alone.
    Ken