KTM 950 Jetting Database

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Billroy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. kelly duke 2000

kelly duke 2000 Retired, Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    quick question, wanted to put up all relevent info but paper I had stashed for safe keeping is non-existent, sucks getting old.

2006 950 adjusted floats to 4mm. from 3.5 bike starts w/o choke plugs were black and deposited thinking rich condition 1 turn out on fuel/air mix what would be the next move to lean this bike at idle when I take carb out again I will post up mains and other info
  2. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND Supporter

Oddometer:
    Note to self : make sure the fuel line with the quick disconnect , does NOT disconnect .

Might have to kill a minion on tuesday .
  3. chainbreaker

chainbreaker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After venturi "pilot FUEL jet" Turn IN to lean mixture.
  4. kelly duke 2000

kelly duke 2000 Retired, Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    I probably should have stated the 1 turn out differently. I actually meant it is turned 1 revolution out from totally closed. can I keep adjusting it closed even further or is there another jet that should be changed that would allow this some leeway adjustment. thanks
  5. chainbreaker

chainbreaker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They all seem to respond a bit different. We used to have smog check at idle. I was at 3mm with 45. I would turn the pilots all the way in and it would pass but was to rich and got "heavy above 8K"". I have since upped the mains an lowered the floats to 3.5 with 42 pilots. I'm at 2600" and it really runs well to ~11K which is as high as I've been and she likes a little choke on a chilly AM.
  6. doodstreet

doodstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    i am new to this forum and was hoping for some possible insite into my 06 ktm950sm ...has lower rpm cruise popping an backfiring pretty bad after rejetting. i have a rottweiler intake, carb vents seperate and into the v of the engine past the starter, sas and canister removed, 172/175 mains, 45 pilot, #3 on fp needles, stock air jets, 2 turns out and float @3.25mm. i did have the exhaust off to clean it up and seems to be sealed well..any suggestions??..i did do the water pump rebuild kit when i went into the bike last time and all seemed well with that but i have rejetted twice since and found problems that were corrected but still this 2-3k rpm cruise backfire and no typical popping on decell any more. i am at a loss right now....help
  7. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure the carbs are fully seated.

Check your exhaust connections again for leaks

Is the backfire more of an occasional "pop" on throttle or off throttle?
  8. doodstreet

doodstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    06ktm950sm...backfires at low rpm cruise any gear throttle on and steadyish just off idle circuit it seems and has no typical usual popping on decel like the choke is stick on
  9. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if the problem appeared after the re-jet something went wrong. It seems to me one (or both) of your slides is sticking for some reason.....
    So what I am trying to say is....
    It could be sticking on the way up causing a lean condition (your described popping)
    And could be sticking on the way down (causing an overly rich condition - your described lack of popping).

I could be way off but this is the best I can think of right now.....

What mufflers do you have on that you say are "sealed"?
  10. doodstreet

doodstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    It has leo Vince no restricors...what's killing me is I have somehow created this problem because it ran well with just a spot or two of sogginess so I thought I can find that magic recipe for a super crisp throttle response...not as easy as a two stroke. I think it feels like my choke is on so that's the first place I'm going to look and I will check my slides for sticking when I move to #2 slot on FP needles...all responses are greatly appreciated. I will definetly post my fix..hopefully very soon.
  11. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, do go over your install very carefully....
    Make sure there are no pinched or kinked cables, hoses, etc.....
  12. icontra

icontra 2005 KTM 950 Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Long time reader, first time poster. First, thanks to all here for the amazing wealth of information over the years. You guys are teh sh1t.

I have my 2005.5 950 ADV stripped down to do some stuff. While I'm in there, I'm wondering if anyone has input on the following.

First, the setup:
    - SAS removed, cannisterectomy, alternate tank vents up through the fairing, 10" and 11" carb vents
    - FMF Q4s
    - Oiled foam pre-filter, stock paper filter and airbox :(
    - Flexjets at ~2 turns out, this changes on trips
    - Mains: 148f, 153r
    - Low Speeds: 45 f+r
    - Idle Air Jets: 70 f+r
    - Stock needle @ #3
    - Floats @ 4mm (as of today, will test before any other changes)

Elevation ranges from sea level to 10k ft (I live at ~700ft in Portland OR and ride everywhere from Alaska to Central America).

The mains, low, and idles were a recommended kit from ADVMachines back in April '14 (3.5mm floats at the time).

Starts first try, needs choke as expected. Low end transition is rich, gotta feather the clutch off the line so it doesn't stall (if it does stall after it warms, it's hesitant to start again, and specifically, exacerbates the horrendous torque limiter clacking issue which I have yet to correct).

When the mains kick in, I get a crisp boost of power under load - feels like a turbo. From there, really nice smooth power through the gears, though there's a slight spottiness around .3 throttle (4th around 4k rpm). I haven't run through a top end roll or WOT to assess leanness up there yet.

Here's my question: While I'm in here tweaking for the next test ride, I'm about to do one of two things to bring that low end back up:
    1. Drop (stock) needles back to #2 (note: #45 lows and #70 idles)
    2. Ditch the #45 low jets and go back to stock #42s

I'm leaning toward #2 despite a strange compulsion to try and make the #45s work. I've read this thread and realize this is already a contentious point, though these opinions span almost 10 years now. Any immediate gut feelings from y'all today?

(Also, any benefit to doing a flapectomy?)
  13. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try 3.5mm floats and needles on #2
    I find needles on #3 to be too rich for any intake setup....
    icontra likes this.
  14. icontra

icontra 2005 KTM 950 Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks mousitsas for the second opinion. I'll start there.
  15. doodstreet

doodstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    plugged pilot jet, front carb :(
    i am such an idiot and the only reason i poke my head out of my butt is to hopefully not let this happen to anyone else by BYPASSING BASICS. after the 6th time into playing with the carbs i used a smoke machine and chased every passage and completely disassembled checking every port AND JET and found one of the recently installed pilot jets (front carb) was plugged almost completely. soooooo ... thanx for any and all input into my predicament selfinflicted and everything is working well; new tach install, jetting,lights ect now just need some dry days.
  16. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Measuring float hights is a PITA. Adding to that I noticed the hight varies depending on which side of the float you measure!!!

I thought there was something up with mine but overtime I saw the same thing with 4 or 5 different carbs.

There could be as much as 0.5mm difference. Just sharing my observation.
  17. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I adopted Mousitsas upside down method. It's more important to me to be accurate each time with a repeatable process. Upside down i get the same measurement each time. No guessing when to stop pushing the needle up. If float sides are a little out of whack from each side (never had that issue but I can understand it) that's ok, just always use the same side to measure from.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta love this forum / threads generosity and like mindedness!
    Indebted to Mousitsas' never ending petrol sniffing :)

My sea level carb setup (posted ages ago and can't remember exact details) delivers astounding throttle response across the range, straight off idle and way thru WOT roll (wrench) it on!

My only gripe is my idle can be erratic. Once engine is warmed up and chokes off, it will 'purr' idle with intermittent little pops and farts...
    I'm thinking rich idle circuit...
    Advice? and Thx!
  19. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long time no see braaap!
    Does this idle issue change with large atmospheric temperature variations, if any, between summer and winter?
    I am more inclined to say lean (or not enough mixture) than rich. With idle, wideband readings can be deceptive since afr says nothing about the absolute quantity of fuel needed to sustain a good idle.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Thx M!

I am so time poor at the moment it's really, lterally, killing me... but had a great (mental health) bitumen ride in glorious sunshine this Saturday (+speeding fine)... out on the open road, it roars and runs so strongly, slow corner in, hand full out and the tyre squirms, front wheel rises on exit. Twist throttle at cruising speed and I can feel the 'hand of God' :)

Pull up and the idle 'hunts' a little, pops and farts. Not like a nice steady idle V Twin 'purr'.
    Yes, if cool conditions idle remains stable (thicker heavy air)... when warm that's when it starts to hunt and pop and fart... wish I had more time to fiddle and sniff petrol :)
    Exhaust outlets are good and sooty so overall it is not lean. I need to dig out my carb settings and have a think...

Thx again for all your detailed investigations / inquiry, eloquent observations and manner.