KTM 950 Jetting Database

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Billroy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is a pilot issue then. In greek hot summer days a 40 idle airjet makes for better idle manners.
    If you havent got a second pair of those, maybe a little bit richer floats?
    Although I believe so far, that any running incosistencies with big air temperature differences are down to idle air jets.
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer
    Cheers M!
    I will make some investigations and tests :)

I have had some 'Greek' summer days... South coast Crete... Amorgos...
    glorious! A lifetime ago...
    Now an Australian summer to enjoy.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those two places you just mentioned happen to be my favourite by a long stretch!!!!
  4. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    brap, there are more islands to see, maybe you should schedule that ;)

well, i should make a contribution to this thread
    have to mention that mousitsas helped A LOT in jetting choices and settings
    jetting has been done using wideband

KTM 950 Adventure 2004
    Elev: 300m
    Temperature: 15-20C
    Exhaust: akra's w/o db killers
    Airbox mod: stock
    Canister and SAS: stock (removing sas richens a lot the mixture, so i kept it)
    Main jets: stock (155/160)
    Idle jets: stock (42)
    Needle type: factory pro
    Needle clip: pos 2
    Mixture screw: 2 (way too rich in idle afr@12, waiting for my custom flex jets :) and will adjust the screws using carbtune )
    float height 2.5mm measuring floats the ktm way
    stock air jets

off idle, up to 1800 the bike runs rich but it would be fixed after adjusting mixture screws, after that it pulls very strong in WOT up to 9000
    cruising afr 14.5, just perfect
    throttle response is fantastic, the bike lifts front wheel in 2nd without hesitation, and gives a strong punch at higher speed acceleration
    maybe i could use smaller mains, but i want to make some more tests in highway

i have to mention, that removing the sas makes the afr in the gauge about 0.5 richer. It seems logical as the sas adds air to the exhaust gases, but that air seems to have impact on the engine behavior, making it practically running leaner.
  5. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to find the stock settings for the SE. Can someone help?

Main jets:
    Idle jets:
    Needle clip:
    Mixture screw:
    Float height:
    Air jets:

I'm running a 2-1 Akra exhaust btw, vacuum pump and a DNA filter and trying to figure things out and starting from stock settings would help
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dna filter will probably give you a lean spot in the transition from pilots to needles.
    Corsica101 likes this.
  7. Dziadek

Dziadek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    Some time ego i have installed H2W jetting kit witch the pre filter.
    Couple of days ago suddenly bike is hard to start and low rpm surges.
    After inspection i noticed that fuel is flowing from main jet/needle circuit , on both carbs.
    Fuel level inspected 3.5mm
    Float valve is tight no overfilling.
    Way to rich on low midle rpm and rips like crazy from 5000rpm to top.

Setup:
    Main jets (148/150 ? i do not remember)
    Idle jet 45
    Idle air jet 70
    ACV Jet 80
    Main air jet 40
    Needle on pos. 3 from top
    Uni pre filter with paper oem filter,decated stock pipes with baffles.

Any ideas because i ran out.
  8. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the weather changed at all during this period?
  9. Dziadek

Dziadek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was cold morning 5 degrees Celsius and strong humidity 80% (typical autumn morning in mountains.)
    During the day was about 15 degrees after i return home and run it in sunny dry day it was acting the same/
    I checked everything in turn and at the end i set float level 3,5mm another method with carbs upsidedown.
    It did not stopped the fuel leak from mains , but the Idle adjustment screw started to act so i put the bike together.
    And it starts without choke (in 18 Degrees C) starts normally when hot and runs like scalped cat . Lifting the front wheel in 2 gear from gas.
    I"m worried that the problem will go back with spring and temps above 20 degrees and specially when i will be riding in alps 1500m above sea level.
  10. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 SMR 990 engine in my 950. It has the ITG and open HMFs.

I re-jetted it when I put in the engine. But I moved and lost the settings and jet kit.

It really rips but every now and then a float sticks open and leaks until vibration stops it etc, not that bad.

And the main thing is a dead spot under 3000 RPMS. It is light switch like and not good. It idles well.

So I'm thinking of redoing them again.

Question: Is the flat spot a characteristic of the engine, cams etc or is it jetting?
  11. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a characteristic of these 950/990 engines at all..... Something is wrong with your stuff....... The fact that your floats are sticking is a tell tale sign.
    DELTATANGO likes this.
  12. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Maybe not, but I have heard a lot of people complain about it, though usually in the 4/5K rpm range.

My 950 had it, and so does my carbed 990.

With jetting changes, I have been able to move it up and down in rpm, and I have finally now been able to reduce it, but I have never been rid of it altogether.

Something is probably wrong with my stuff too, but I have never been able to figure out what.
    DELTATANGO likes this.
  13. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day Thrill seekers. Thanks for everyone's contributions :thumbup

07 950 SE, At sea level or just above.
    Akra pipes uncorked, pre filter, canistorectomy.
    Standard jetting and needles.
    55'000 K's

The real issue I have is popping on deceleration, it's always done it and it shit's me to tears! Otherwise the bugger pulls harder than a classroom full of 14 year old's, right through the rev range, idles perfectly! Starts immediately, first time every time, cold with about half choke.

From what I can gather and reading this forum, all of it. I have no exhaust leaks, canistorectomy was done correctly, via the hall of wisdom page. Before I go fiddling with everything, I figure it's a matter of adjusting the mixture :scratch
  14. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SE when jetted right with a wideband idles about 13:1 AFR. Starts great runs best when setup for as close to 13:1 throughout the throttle and RPM range,, BUT,,, pops like hell on decel. If i jet the idle/pilot for about 11:1 AFR (using fuel screws) it pops just a little and is a bit rich at idle but thats the compromise... Unless someone works on that decel vacuum diaphram to make decel not so lean your stuck with jetting up the idle. Turn your fuel screws out about a full turn and see if its better. It kills me to be idling at 11:1 but i cant stand the popping.
    Drwnite likes this.
  15. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine pops like crazy too. If I richen it up so that it doesn't, it loads up pretty bad and struggles to idle on tight off road terrain on warmer days. I'd rather have the popping, even if it's annoying.
    Drwnite likes this.
  16. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all!

I currently own a 2004 950 Adventure and am looking at SW7/ITG filter kit, to replace my stock air-box with Pyndon pre-filter replica kit, to gain some bark out of the old girl but basically getting rid off some weight + some other weight savings mods.

I turned over a lot of threads, but I haven't really fond anyone with this system and jetting form my area. I am located in central Europe, right on the edge of Alps. Riding elevation varies from 0-cca.2000m temperatures from 15-30° Celsius. No emissions crap on the bike, with Acra pipes and baffles (damn police/laws…)

From what I have read, I should setup my carbs like so:
    172/175MJ
    45PJ
    4mm on the floats
    OEM Needles on #3
    IMS 2 turns out

I don't have dyno for testing and refinement, so would like to be as spot on as possible from the start.

Thanks for all the help!

Kind regards
    Fabnut likes this.
  17. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Safari tanks to feed that. :D
  18. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, 21l should be enough for about 100km :D

On a more serious note, jetting is still a bit of an black art for me so any suggestions are welcome :D
  19. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    I don't know how much the Rotty would affect mixture, nor how much the 2 into 1 might counter that, but this is what I have for my stock exhaust, and K&N filter with 1/2" foam post filter:

Mains- 160/165
    Pilot- 42
    Needles- 2nd groove
    Floats- 3
    Idle screw- 2.25/2.25

This runs better than any other combo I have tried.

When I got the bike, it had 172/175, and 45, with stock filter and exhaust. It had less power, poorer throttle response, and a large mid-range flat spot.

I have never been able to completely get rid of the flat spot, but it is lesser now than it has ever been before, and the engine now runs better in all respects.

20. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Are you running the 45 pilots?

In the many different combinations I have tried, pilot jet size is the only thing that has made a lagre difference in mileage.

When I changed from 45 size pilots back to the stock 42s, mileage improved by about 5 mpg US.