KTM 950 Jetting Database

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Billroy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Looking for a little advice from the collective.
    I’m currently going thru this for the first time. I’m trying to work out hard starting, flat spots and stumbling at moderate throttle openings. Here’s the direction I think I should go from what I’ve read...

2005.5 adventure
    Sea level (rarely to 1000’)
    Stock airbox
    Wings mufflers w/32 mm dB killers
    Emissions removed
    2.5 IMS
    4mm floats
    45 FP idle
    FP needles #2
    175/180 mains (per FP instructions)

Does that sound like a good baseline? I’m most confused with which main to start out with since I’m not looking to tear down and change stuff repeatedly.
    Any advice appreciated.
  2. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a terrible baseline. Please look on previous pages
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. I thought my new to me 06 950Adv was running rich because the exhaust was sooty. Turns out the enricher cable was too tight.
  4. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to the mains?
    How about this?

2005.5 adventure
    Sea level (rarely to 1000’)
    Stock airbox
    Wings mufflers w/32 mm dB killers
    Emissions removed
    2 IMS
    4mm floats
    45 FP idle
    FP needles #3
    158/162 mains
  5. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, unfortunately I can't help you with that stock airbox, I have limited experience on that. But you should definitely use leaner than stock mains with fp needles. Maybe 150s or 152s...

A slight contribution to this thread regarding FP needles. I ended up with a very good jetting for those needles.

Itg air filter
    Akras with db killers
    Sea level
    Ambient temp 27oC
    Main jets:170 on both cylinders
    Fp needles @2 with the thin washer bellow needle clip
    45 pilots @ .25 turn out
    60 idle air jets

12.7-13 Wot afr at high rpm
    13.3-13.6 idle
    13.5-14.2 light cruising
    12.8-13 when on needle operation

It is simpy amazing. The only thing I could give some experimenting is with smaller main air jets, but unfortunately I have no clue where can i find jets smaller than 40s.
  6. 5280 Rider

5280 Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been through the post and need a little help

Rottweiler filter Aqro exhaust
    5280 elevation

I was lean at 162f 168r
    Fp needle 3rd from top with washer
    Float at 3mm

I’m rich at 165r 172r
    Float 2.88
    Fp needle 4th from top with washer

Any suggestion would help!
  7. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Needle to 1st or1.5 with 168f 170r Or 170 both
  8. 5280 Rider

5280 Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So leaner on needle with 170 on both. Leave float alone.
    Thx!
  9. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    what pilot jets are you running? stock is 42 I think, but the Factory Pro kit usually includes 45. If you are running the 45's swap back to the 42's and possibly back to the OE needles. The FP needles are more rich on the lower end. I agree with the 170 mains or 168/170. Usually people only stagger one size, at least that's what I've seen so far.
  10. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Curious to know what are the signs that you're running lean? Where in the RPM range do you experience the flat spot? IMHO 45's are too fat for Denver and higher elevations. I've had good luck with 42 pilots 165/168 mains needles #3 at most all CO Elevations down to dessert areas like Moab.

YMMV but start with 42 pilots and mains in the low to mid 160's (162/165 ~ 165/167 ~168) should run great. Floats should be closer to 4mm; FP needles #3 and use your (Flexjet) IMS to adjust out your lean condition and drop the needle 1 if still feeling lean. How do you have your vent hoses routed and are they the right lengths? H2W has some notes on specfic length for front and rear carbs.
    SpeedyR likes this.
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Floats at 4mm
  12. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    trying to chase down a surging/bucking feeling at cruise rpms. ive only had the bike for a little over 3 months but ive put almost 7k miles on it so far. bike was purchased from Tucson, and now resides in dallas. 2005 950 adv

it has fmf slip-ons with or without baffles, the feeling remains. rottweiler intake with red pre-filter, and all the deleted smog crap. bike starts pretty easy and idles pretty good.

his notes:

main - 170/172
    pilot - 42
    needle - stock (i just checked them. they were at the 2nd postition with a thick shim on bottom, and thin one on top) he says 2.5, but with that thick shim it looked even greater than the 3rd position, i took the thick shim off, and moved it down to the 3rd with no change) on a stock set-up, is the thin or thick washer on TOP of the needle?
    floats - 4mm
    IMS - 2.25

i checked the tps, which was in specs, and i checked the carbs for balance, and they are good.
  13. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, just put the thick shim were it belongs (on top) and the thin under the clip

Also, try with stock needles @2nd with 175/178 mains and 45 pilots
  14. dsrtuckteezy

Oddometer:
    oh and flex jets are junk, one just broke off just by turning it :fpalm
  15. JakesDad

JakesDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my flex jets in for 2 years of daily driving/adjusting and haven't had any issue with them. I even pinched the brass knob(accidentally) between the frame and the cylinder head, and it word a flat spot on it. Still works perfectly.

John
    geometrician likes this.
  16. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where did it break? mine have a little allen screw on the carb side.
    Flip your fat/thin washers, the thick one goes on top of the needle clip, the thin under it.

I, too am chasing the same problem. for my bike I do think it's going rich though.. on jetting adjustment #20. lol.
    I've tried this thread, the factory pro, and the jetting threads recommendations leaving it pig rich, then started working my way backwards from the largest jets in the fp kit with a spread similar to that of the original mains. Running an ITG on FMF Q4s with spark arrestor inserts in. (usual block off stuff done already too)
    at sealevel, California winter gas, and ~40-55F temps i'm finding that 172/178 and 170/175 have produced the best results on my bike so far. (I've tried every jet from 168 to 182 with 4-5 increment between front/rear)
    42 idles
    stock needles at #2 with thin shim under it
    floats at 3mm
    ims around 2.5 turns out. No amount of ims or float height adjustment makes it run better at 1/8 throttle or so.

Anybody wanna trade EFI for carbs? I'm much better with serial than I am at custom airbox carb fuckery.
  17. Sir_Maurice

Sir_Maurice n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have recommendations for a 950 SM '06 with ITG and Bos-exhaust with db-killer?
    from sea level to about 1750ft
  18. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    The surge is pretty common at cruise 5,000rlm range +\- 300,400 rpm depending on gearing with ITG type filter. The FP needles have a transition right about this rpm/throttle opening too so Make sure all of your air jets under the intake horns are clean. Make sure your carb vent lines are seperatley plumbed ( not connected to Y fitting at 10”(250mm) and 11” (275mm) respectively longer hose on front vent ( if I recall correctly) and terminate down by the starter. Sonetines 1/4 ~1-2 additional turn on front carb IMS helps smooth the surge.
  19. dsrtuckteezy

Oddometer:
    the surge/bucking is much more pronounced in 6th gear getting on and off the gas
  20. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike has always done this to a degree, even with the stock airbox... it would get worse as the front carb's airjets were fouled with oil.

My carb vents were ~24" long hahahah. Thanks po :). cut them to 10 and 11". So far: (#25, perseverance and documentation is everything)
    175/180 mains
    45 pilots
    stock needles on 3rd clip, washer removed
    floats 2mm
    Ims ~3 turns out
    Pretty smooth through the surge spot that is afore mentioned. good all around power. It's leaving fuel on the backside of the throttle plate and still surges 7k on up with light throttle.
    Going to leave this for a few days and rack some miles making adjustments to the IMS along the way.
    If it doesn't work out i'm dropping the FP needles in and starting over. These stock needles had a chance.