KTM 950 Jetting Database

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Billroy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There aren't a whole lot of high elevation mappings in here so i'd like some expert opinions on jetting changes. Bike is an '04 with FMF exhaust, no emissions stuff. Driveway is 5,200ft. Typical rides are 4,000 - 8,000ft. Extreme elevations in NM are down toward 3K and up to 12-13K ft.

Currently, the bike runs well with the following:
    Stock air box with pre-filter instead of snorkel
    Mains - 145/148
    low spd - 42
    IAMS - 2.5 turns (roughly) It was difficult to tell with the flex jets.
    IAJ 70/70
    needles are NDFB on middle clip. So the third out of five settings.
    Floats are 3mm

I am putting on the Triple Clamp Moto open air filter kit. After reading through here for quite a while, here's what I am thinking of switching to:
    Mains - 160/162
    low spd - 42
    IAMS - 2 turns
    IAJ - 70/70
    needles are NDFB on middle clip. So the third out of five settings.
    Floats - 3.5mm

Is there anything sticking out like a sore thumb with the proposed new settings or am I on the right track?
  2. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why people keep putting needle clip on 3rd notch?
    still dont get it...
  3. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    Well, for starters, the instructions on the new intake recommend it. And I don't know any better. I suppose I'll have to do more reading as to why it is often recommended.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of the 'teddy bear' filters. Tough to jet.

I'd just pull off the pre-filter and put the snorkel back on. Then for your altitude the stock mains 155/160 and stock needle clip would be about right.
    3.5 float is good.
    42 lsj.

Then try IAMS at 3/4 to 1 turn out. When you start it up cold, turn off the choke right away. It should run like crap. If it still runs good, then the IAMS are too rich.
  5. DaviG117

DaviG117 n00b

Oddometer:
    So your saying that it's a good sign if your bike runs slightly poorly from a bone cold start. Because my bike currently runs poorly from cold with a lower idle speed then when it's up to temperature it runs better with a higher idle speed. (An idle speed at which it should be at)
  6. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Typical ‘what should I change jetting to" post, having a hard time finding a listed setup that sounds the same as mine:

Triple Clamp air filter setup, full twin Akro’s with DB inserts, sea level-3500’. I have bad surging at part throttle, especially at highway speeds, and it likes to fall on it’s face when winding it through the gears hard from low rpms and gears (like one carb is having a hard time transitioning or something). Stock jetting throughout, starts fairly easily warm or cold, wants some/most choke cold.

I need to swap out the combined ‘y’ vent, but any recommendations on what jetting to throw in there? Surge was less noticeable with stock air box, and is unbearable now along with the falling on it’s face with the open air filter.

Thanks.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post 350 is the jetting I plan on using when I swap my air filter over. I'm running SBKs without inserts on my adv tho.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-...tem-development.1365319/page-18#post-38088387
    bobnoxious67 likes this.
  8. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
  9. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    Finally got out to test ride today. New TripleClamp intake with the following settings at 5,000+ elevation. Dual FMF exhaust and no emissions.

Mains - 155/160
    low spd - 42
    IAMS - 2.25 turns
    IAJ - 70/70
    Stock needles, 2nd clip.
    Floats - 3.5mm

Seemed to run great. No loss of power or throttle response that I could find. 2nd gear roll-on to 9K RPM and it never felt like it was flattening out. I still needed to open the enricher to start it and it very nearly died when I shut that off after a few seconds. I opened it back up just a tad to let it finish warming up. It was about 70 degrees ambient temp for that.

I tried putting it in a higher gear while going slower, maybe 25mph in 3rd gear, and then ripping the throttle open. It didn't bog down like it was flooding. It just kept chugging along with a low rumble. So now i'm wondering if the jetting is still a bit lean. I was expecting the bike to bog down with too much throttle. Also, the IAJ's were at 70 when I got the bike. Should I put those back to the OEM size 50 for any reason?