KTM 950 Prep for a "Long Ride"

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Sun Chaser, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
    Here is a good resource for aftermarket windscreens....
    http://www.fairing-screens.com/fairingscreenx.htm

This is the response to my asking if they had something for the 950:

Thank you very much for your e-mail.
    Yes, most LC8 owners are not happy with there Windshield on there KTM LC8.
    We have already a "Super Touring" windshield for the KTM in our program.
    The size can be custom-manufactured in plus 2", plus 4" and up to plus 12 inch taller than stock. Also we offer a "adapter/slide" windshield as well.
    All our Windshields are available in clear, tinted light or dark-smoke.
    Because we change de design, the KTM windshields are not square in shape.
    We give the Windshield for the KTM much more body (rounder). This you can see In our website.
    Please allow us 2 to 3 business days to manufacture.

Sincerely,
    Marcel July
    Motorcycle Replacement Airshields LLC
    http://www.fairingscreens.com

Alaska it is baby !!
  2. Doug Grosjean

Doug Grosjean Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer:
    For an overview of an Alaska trip, take a look at www.ibmwr.org

Go to "Trip Reports", and mine is second from the top I think. Yes, it has pictures, and a checklist of what we packed, books, gear, etc.

Took an R11rs north on the ferry, then up the Dempster Hwy. where my friend totalled his R11gs, then rode home to Ohio via the Cassiar Hwy. There's a photo of the GS with its cracked swingarm in the middle of nowhere, 5,000 miles from my home.

A KTM-950 would have been ideal, I think. But it didn't exist back in 1999, and my R11rs was in the garage, and even though I did the Cassiar and the Dempster I think I only rode about 1,000 miles offroad on that trip.

Best,
    Doug Grosjean
    Luckey, Ohio
    douggrosjean@wcnet.org
  3. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do a search for Hepco and Becker panniers, they make both the aluminum and plastic one's for the KTMs.
  4. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    so those crashbars I see at TwistedThrottle.com - do they need to be removed in order to get the side panels off? Just considering the convenience aspect of 'em. They look nice, though. Might have to order some.

Anybody have any experience installing accessory plugs? Heated grips? These are other additions I'd like to make; just wondering if the 950 electrical system is set up to handle this type of thing...?
  5. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    Greg,

Which Airhawk do you have:

Rectangle is 11" x 14.5", or
    Tapered is 12" x 18".

Is your size the one that you think fits you and the seat the best?

Thanks,
    Bart
  6. Doug Grosjean

Doug Grosjean Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer:
    I've done a few BMW plug installs on several bikes I've owned, as well as installing some cigarette lighter plugs so I can power a PDA, GPS, etc.

Documented here, with directions and parts sources and photos:

http://www.morrowmarsh.ca/concours/techpages/bmwaccessplug.htm

All you'll have to do is figure out where to put it, so you have enough clearance behind to put the plug in there.

Bear in mind that if you ride a lot in all sorts of weather, and use the plugs a bunch, they do wear out. They corrode with copper-green grunge, the fingers on the male part get tired and the leaves on the female part do the same.

Also there's a lot of variation on the plugs and sockets. The highest priced ones aren't neccesarily the best, though the cheapest ones are likely the worst. You want lots of electrical contact area, corrosion-resistant surfaces; and you want the leaf springs in the socket to "wipe" the male part as it's inserted. Trying to get a good connect each and every time is what that's about.

What I think would be the slickest install would be to electrify a tankbag with both type of plugs. Then have just a single heavy guage line feeding the tankbag via a single, high-amp plug. High-amp as I'm assuming you want to power vests, not just PDAs and GPS units. Then attach the various electronics to the tankbag, so that you could easily take it all in with you by just removing the tankbag.

Doug Grosjean
    Luckey, Ohio
    douggrosjean@wcnet.org
  7. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Doug. I like the tankbag idea...practical. I'll keep that on the 'to do' list as an option, and check out that link again when I'm ready to go for it.
  8. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Doug. I like the tankbag idea...practical. I'll keep that on the 'to do' list as an option, and check out that link again when I'm ready to go for it.
  9. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
  10. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer: