ktm 950 question

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by tigertom, Nov 21, 2004.

1. tigertom

tigertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanted to know if KTM are 50 state legal or do the CA. models have different emmissions. If I buy a bike out of state can I register here in CA.
  2. ekaphoto

ekaphoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, as long as the bike is street legal. If it is converted from dirt to dual sport it is harder. DMV used to charge a $300 emissions fee, but that was found unconstutinal. You will probably have to pay sales tax when you register it even if you paid it in the state you bought it in.
  3. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently checked on a 950 from out of state. I was told by DMV 800-777-0133 to call the DMV Technical compliance department 916-657-6795, who told me to call the California Air Resources Board 800-242-4450 and call back. The short of the story is If it has a Federal Emesions sticker, it can be registered in California only if it has over 7500 miles. If it has a California emesions sticker, you will have no problem regarless of miles. Now, about the California bikes. In the first year of the 950, they had a California only bike. If I recall, the 2004-2005 have all the same plumbing for emesions. The only way to be sure is to remove the left gas tank and look at the sticker on the top frame rail. I hope this helps.