KTM 950ADV - Big OFF & HOT NEW LOOK!!!

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by GCRad1, Dec 19, 2007.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

"Please keep this forum about actual get-offs. Either your own, or someone else's, as long as it's of interest to the ADVrider community. No gore, near misses, etc."

OK, so no gore and no near miss - FULL CONTACT!!!

I got this hot new look over Thanksgiving weekend Nov 23-25, 2007 After the 24th Annual LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007 Dual Sport Ride.

[​IMG]

Ride all the roughest stuff in the desert and get out on a dry lakebed and crash!!!

I was a participant in the Dist-37 AMA Adventure Motorcycle Rally Nov 23-25 riding my big KTM 950ADV. Finished the event, some 500+ miles and had a blast! Great riding with only 10 miles of tarmac and the rest off-road and tons of photos!!! I created a post specifically of the ride here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/la-b...s-1-bmw1150gs-nov-23-25-dust-magazine.289466/

On the way home on Sunday, through the desert, I went down hard in a dry lakebed just outside of Baker, California. Luckily I was riding with my buddy Chad of Dust Magazine.

What happened?
    [​IMG]
    I actually took the image, but I do not remember taking the image. Chad said I got up after the crash and took a couple of images, this being one.

Look close and you will see a dark horizontal line [through the chest of Chad standing back there] that is where my bike went air born. The dry lake has a "cut-out" road, which I did not see. It dropped down about a foot and as wide as a single blade bulldozer. We where blasting across the lake bed and I drove right across this "cut-out", bike dropped down into it, preloading the suspension and flew out the other side, suspension un-compressing and unloading me at the same time - flying into the air I went!
    I landed in the area in the foreground.

I actually road my bike some 15-miles to Baker where Chad and Mark, both of Dust Magazine, had me leave my bike in a safe location and they transported me back home. While on the way home, it was the Dust To Glory scene... where's my bike, where's my bike, where's my bike??? I forgot the events up to the accident and had not recollection of the crash, yeap, and some short-term memory loss.

Doctors where amazed: I'm not dead, not paralyzed and have full function of all my toes and fingers!!! Just a little broke down right now...

See neck brace: I will be wearing this for about six months.
    [​IMG]

I'm going stir crazy already, but doing anything and everything IS HARD! Sleeping is HARD as I cannot LAY DOWN!!! I have been sitting up for a week - trying to sleep! Three weeks now - still sitting up to sleep!!!

My spirit is not broken. I will ride motorcycles again - off-road an all. I will be back to work, that will be the easy. I just have to get my body back in service. One step at a time!!!

Read the full ride report - IT WAS WAY FUN!!!:
    LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007, 2-KTMLC8ADV's & 1-BMW1150GS Nov 23-25 DUST Magazine
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289466

Then you can check my GravelCrew GCRad1 - My KTM950ADV story + upgrades thread and look at the double summersault results to the bike and parts and such:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247585
    Accident stuff starting at middle/end of page #9.

Just know, the 950ADV started off looking NICE like this!!!
    [​IMG]

Thanks to my safety gear: Fox Helmets | Troy Lee Designs Body Armor & knee Pads | Scott Boots & Goggles!!! It could have been a lot worse!

Troy Lee Designs LEAT Brace - NEXT!
  2. IdahoJim

IdahoJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really glad you came through relatively unscathed. It could have been much worse. Thoise road cuts are almost inpossible to see coming in that flat terrain. I did exactly the same thing in a desert race near Adelanto, CA back in the 70's.....worst wreck I ever had. When I woke up, it took me 15 minutes to find my AJS 370, I landed so far from it. Damned road cuts anyway.
  3. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a kickass ride report and your pics here are completely cringe-inducing. Sleep sitting up!! For six months!! Man, I don't even think I could chew food in that rig...much less fellate myself. Holy shiat!

The incredible and great thing is that you're here to tell the story. Thank you!
  4. Ceej

Ceej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, pretty heavy stuff, glad to hear you are ok. But if you wanna look on the bright side, this is going to do wonders for your post count.
  5. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    + a bunch... I remember hauling buns accross a dry lake out near California City.. and all of a sudden it's a dry river bed cutting through the dry lake (I think it was, perhaps it was cut by a dozer and just eroded). I was riding a 80's XR-200R, luckily I got the front end up and managed to not trash.

Take it easy..
  6. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you were not hurt any worse, no neurologic damage. Work hard in your therapy and keep your posotive attitude going, I look forward to your next ride report!
  7. KenR

KenR Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're not any worse off than you are!!

I had a buddy take out the entire front end of a four wheel drive dually pickup in the Eldorado dry lake in Nevada years ago - same deal. He was haulin ass then hit one of those invisible road cut outs. Left the front axle, suspension and oil pan about 100' behind. Totalled the truck.

Again, heal fast and I'm glad you're still taking air!!
  8. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    Holy Sh!t, glad you're OK.

Not being able to lay down must be torture. Perhaps the CIA should look into those braces as a replacement to waterboarding.
  9. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1 You got air! Glad to hear you'll be recovering. Not much you can do once you finally see the drop.
  10. giblets

giblets Membrana Profunda

Oddometer:
    good to hear that you'll heal. spinal cord injuries = bad
  11. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Holy crap....I guess you have a lot to be thankful for this year. When you get hurt like this you probably ask "why me", but just be thankful it was not as bad as it could have been. You are soooooooo lucky. Best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible.
  12. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Glad your recovering.

I've looked at the Leat brace also. I'm a bit concerned that the brace might focus forces either on your chest (center of your rib cage, sorry, I'm not a doctor) or on your upper back.

They do seem well made. I tried on the cheaper version casually (no helmet) & it seemed like it would be fine to wear. I don't think I would invest the extra $$ on the carbon fiber one unless I wore it all the time or raced.

I wish they spread the forces a bit more. As I tend to not ride too fast in the dirt not sure it would be worthwhile or not. As a crashee, what are your opinions?
  13. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HEY GREG!!!
    HAHAHA - Glad to see you up in here - ADVrider.com = AWESOME!!!

RIP:
    [​IMG]
    see all the covers:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodneywills/sets/1342308/

OK GREG, Tell Earl and you guys, to get ready for the 2008 LA2B2V!!!
    Keep an eye our here:
    http://www.district37ama.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Read the full ride report - IT WAS WAY FUN!!!:
    LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007, 2-KTMLC8ADV's & 1-BMW1150GS Nov 23-25 DUST Magazine
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289466

15. QUICKSILVER

QUICKSILVER Native Arizonan

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm glad to hear you stil have some fight there....It seems like a serious bump.
    I have a question....How fast were you going; do you know? If you were in the 40+ range that IS a lethal area of velocity to dump at!
  16. intheways

intheways Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    godspeed on recovery:freaky
  17. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's just say I was clipping along somewhere between 60-90mph!!!

18. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I was guessing you were going that fast.
    I would have been, flat lakebed, no traffic.
    The bike did very well all things considered.
  19. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Sucks you got hurt, but its nice it seems everything is gonna heal up..

good luck in your speedy recovery..

greg:drums
  20. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scary Stuff- good luck with recovery, so glad it wasn't worse!

Been close to that same crash several times, lucky so far, but it's a good reminder.