KTM 950SM Custom Aircleaner

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mar45, Oct 7, 2007.

1. mar45

mar45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Experinmenting with the 950 headers and aircleaner has netted some large horsepower and fuel mileage gains. The headers are equal lenght 2 into 2, 37.5" by 1.5" thin wall 304 stainless. This length brings the engine onto the pipe at about 4000 rpm, or right in the center of my use range. For the best HP readings on the Dyno 2.5" core cans where used, but are also very loud. Best sound and quiet enough for use in town was with 1.75" cores.
    The air cleaner was where the largest gains where seen, these LC-8 motors are large air pumps and need a lot of cold free flowing air supply to make good power and response.
    I was holding off on sharing this info to make sure it was right. The carb jetting took the most time and my thanks goes out to all the guys that had jetting input as that was a great help.
    The engine was run on the dyno in a stock condition right after break-in so I would have good documentation of before and after the mods. I also have photos of the work as it was done.
    The best fuel mileage to date was 51.4 mpg with normal around town at about 46 mpg. The last dyno run was a little over 100 HP at the rear wheel.
    The throttle response and exhaust sound is great, and with this air cleaner you can hear the air flow and it sounds like a large V-8.
    This is all low cost stuff that can be done in any normal shop, like the air cleaner is two sheets of aircraft Alum and a $5 Fran air filter.
    This engine also runs very cool and I now have the fans removed as they are not needed.
    My test conditions where from low desert to high mountain passes, 35 to 105F and elevation from 400 to 5800 MSL.
    Carb Jetting:
    MJ = 175 (both)
    MAJ = 40
    LJ = 42
    ACVJ = not used and plugged
    IAJ = 90
    Needles = Stock NDFB 3rd clip
    IMS = 1.5 turns (about) Set using a F/A meter
    Filter = Fran # CA351
    TPS = full CW
    Carb Vents = inside the air cleaner
    Floats = stock setting.

For more photos, e-mail me at mar45@bentonrea.com

c/u mar45

Attached Files:

2. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets see more pics! Howzit look from the top side? Sure looks simple from this angle! We must see the exhaust, too.
  3. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    oh hell yeah!
  4. J.W.Mudd

J.W.Mudd "Moto Loco"

Oddometer:
    Outstanding :clap

Please post additional photos, we all want to see this :eek1
  5. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    More pics and details please. Looks very promissing and your mileage figures would put the 950 in the realm of the Rotax V-Twin Aprilia uses. Always suspected the KTM could get much better mileage. My 1000cc V-Twin Aprilias deliver near 50 mpg in normal use and 50+ if you ride easy.
  6. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh:huh:huh My '01 Aprilia Mille was hard-pressed to get over 35 mpg no matter how I rode. My Ducati 916, on the other hand, got mid 40's even when flogged. The last time I saw 50 mpg on a motorcyle was a 1989 BMW K75S.
  7. moparmiller

moparmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Parks I assume?

The SM is looking sweet- I may have to get a better look at your set up one of these days when I get back into town. Your set up looks to be the best combination of tons o' power and killer milage. Do you think there would be any way to fit some type of snorkel for dust reduction at the filter (the SE throughs an atomic dust cloud at Juniper Dunes). But at $5 a filter that could be a negligable issue.

Erik- From TCCS
  8. mar45

mar45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been running for the most part on the street and the dirt I get on is offen hardpack so I would not see the dust that you get riding 3rd in trail, like at Juniper Dunes. For that you may want to run a Pre Filter over a stock airbox.
    Check on Head2wind (Ken,s) work down the page, he and some of the guys have done a lot of work and study on jetting with the pre-filters.
    I find that riding off road that I do not need much of the LC-8s power and use low RPM most of the time. At low rpm the pre-filter may be the best way to go.

Now for Erik, good to hear from you, and miss you at the shop. Running paddle tires and climbing steep sand hills is different and you may want the extra HP. In sand the only thing better than HP is more HP and lots of RPM.

c/u, mar45
  9. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please post these pics!

10. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    what were the stock dyno results?

" The last dyno run was a little over 100 HP at the rear wheel.

Also not clear on all the abv below.

Carb Jetting:
    MJ = 175 (both)
    MAJ = 40
    LJ = 42
    ACVJ = not used and plugged
    IAJ = 90
    Needles = Stock NDFB 3rd clip
    IMS = 1.5 turns (about) Set using a F/A meter
    Filter = Fran # CA351
    TPS = full CW
    Carb Vents = inside the air cleaner
    Floats = stock setting.
  11. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics man! That air cleaner setup looks sweet. Tempted...
  12. moparmiller

Oddometer:
    So how is your power delivery compared to stock? Is the extra power coming on early, mid, or at the top end?
  13. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    cmwoody, with proper permission of course, please do post up those pictures so we can all see and discuss. This is exciting stuff!
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did I miss how you put what looks like a SE header on a SM...?
  15. moparmiller

Oddometer:

Those headers are his own design and one-off build-
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    well then he needs to start a online store....:D
  17. mar45

mar45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chris, thanks for posting the photos, I was away for a bit and was going to do that next. I will send you more if you would post them. I was just being careful due to the bandwidth and maybe causeing the post to slow down.

Eric, about power delivery, like allmost all V-twin engines it is pretty flat over the RPM range. Even if you stay stock and rework just the jetting the LC-8 will run fine. Mine will start in second gear at idle and pull smooth all the way to the rev limiter. I love it, in the lower 2 gears you are going to get wheel spin or a wheelie if you bang the throttlle open and sometimes both at the same time.
    Enjoy and be careful, mar45
  18. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    anticipate any issues in the rain?
  19. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:

That's pretty funny. Went back and did as you suggested and got to peruse your entire Smugmug account. Crash your 950 into the forest or something?! :rofl

O.k., now I'll go back and respond to your PM on the header.
  20. blublapp

blublapp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does someone still have the additional pictures of the airfilter? :evil I know it's an old thread...
    mar45 is no longer reachable by email.