ktm 990 5.2 Spal fan

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by KTMADV, Oct 29, 2012.

1. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I used a Spal 5.2 size fan on my 2007 ktm 990 adventure . Fan fits perfect and I used three zip ties to secure it.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a smaller fan that most install.

[​IMG]
    dondesmo likes this.
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Zip tyes and heat arent the best combo. They will get brittle fast
  3. dirtbikebagger

dirtbikebagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im considering the same thing, Just wondering how this has held up over time? Rub any holes in your radiator or oil tank or anything weird?
  4. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    No problems with the fan. The three zip ties I used are still good. The fan works great. The fan comes on when the left fan kicks on or I have a manual switch to turn the fans on .
  6. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    That is great that you were able to make a 5.2" fan fit in that space. Its a tight one for sure. Do you have anything that will keep the fan from wearing a hole through the end tank or transfer tubes like a rubber hose cut in half and over the fan shroud edges?
  7. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I have nothing on the end tank or transfer hose protecting them. I don't see a need for it. I have over 10,000 miles with my fan this way with no problems. The fan only fits one way . One zip tie on the frame one under the radiator cap and one to the oil hose clamp. My bike never over heats with that big extra fan in the deep sand.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I realize this is an old thread - hopefully the OP is still around.

How did you wire this fan in? Did you simply jump into the connector going to the other fan? I found a thread where another inmate also used the 5.2" fan, but he found that both fans kicking on at the same time caused to much current draw and blew a fuse. He ended up wiring in a relay to provide a bit of delay to avoid that. How did you go about it? Is the fan still working for you?
  9. snoopy3875

snoopy3875 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running the smaller SPAL as my second fan and I was able to just make a small Y harness that split power from the original connector to the two fans. Not sure about the current draw of the two big fans as opposed to the big fan paired with the smaller one but it should be fine with just a Y harness.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  10. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    OEM fan eventually wore a hole in my radiator. Came into town and there was some smell of coolant when slowing down. Kept going but smell was still there ...looked down and my entire left leg was soaked.

Had a spare so just did a swap but will try to solder the other one so I have a functioning spare.

/Johan
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you used an OEM on right side as secondary?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  12. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    No OEM on the left side only one fan eventually wore a hole in the radiator.

Some of you guys out there with high mileage bikes it might be worth having the fan off the radiator and see if there is any wear and maybe trim the plastic some if there are any spots showing wear.

/Johan
    KTM Mike and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. I will be checking mine as my tanks are off anyhow. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  14. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I just connected the second fan to the original stock fan. The second fan only fits one way and It's tight. I have not had and probably with it.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks KTMADV. I think I will be giving the Spal 5.2 a try. i like that is flows much more air volume than the 4".
  16. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi can anyone tell me the reference number of the spal fan and best place to get it?

Also if connected to the OEM fan, will the spal fan stop working If the OEM fails? Thanks
  17. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll do some digging. Meanwhile try googling "spal 5.2" fan". You will want one that pulls air in through radiator.

Yes if you tie into stock wiring it will come on automatically. Some say that's not good due to stock wiring not up to load of both fans. I've had no issues however.

Also, take a look at another recent thread on here I just posted on in that last day or so regarding current draw. Not as it relates to the wiring, rather system keeping up with it. I also installed lower temp switch. Between added draw and fans coming on sooner, it was a bit to much.
    trautfel likes this.
  18. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM Mike likes this.