KTm 990/950 ADV Master Cylinder Alternative

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by VittoXVIII, Jun 17, 2019.

1. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've recently bought a KTM 950 ADV S in perfect conditions, it had been sitting in a Car Dealership fro almost 3 years.
    Excellent price, completely stock, and 17k km on it.
    The OEM master cylinder was already leaking, I've bought the kit to change the internal pistons, seeger and everything.
    My first mistake was to buy the kit with the OEM diameter, 10,5mm.
    As soon as I installed it it started leaking again.
    After a few weeks I had to fill mineral oil every 2h of riding.
    I came across and original BMW GS 1200 (2012) Master Cylinder, practically new, I took it home for 59 euros.
    Mounted without any problem, I've shortened the lever (I still have to paint the end, I know)
    This might be useful to everyone who's still in doubt of rebuilding the original mastercylinder/buying an expensive accossato etc.
    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-15 at 15.39.16.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-15 at 15.39.21.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-15 at 15.39.16.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-15 at 15.39.21.jpeg
  2. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice
  3. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    That's a good find
  4. Wastedavid

Wastedavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that's good to know, but does it match exactly or do you have to modify or something???

What I did is rebuiding with a friend that works in a precission machine shop, bore the hole to a higher ID and them replace with a new bronze sleeve. It's been working fine for some months.
    VittoXVIII likes this.
  5. buaan

buaan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Did you use the BMW clutch switch or reuse your KTM one? The clutch line, was that easy enough to sort as the BMW looks a banjo type.

You managed to mount your choke on there too?

More info on how you managed this would be great :)
  6. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Magura part MG2700187 is a perfect fit, comes with choke if needed for 950s, a mirror mount and the switch included plugs directly into the harness.
    It also uses the short levers suitable for dirt bikes (and big o'l adv bikes).

Very happy with it on my 990, it states that it should use dot4, I’m running ATF in mine with no problems so far.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  7. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Excellent! I'd love to have the tools and training to do that. I Know there's a Greek Guy who does that for 135euro.
    Since I would have had to spend 135 for the job + 30 for a new seal cap (since mine leaked) I opted for the cheapest option.

Yeah I mounted the choke, no predisposed mount but it was easy enough to find a good place for it.
    The clutch line can be mounted on this master cylinder with no modifications.
  8. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's true...but i cost 200 Euros :photog
  9. Rademenes

Rademenes n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I've also problem with leaking master cylinder in my KTM 990 Adv R 2011. Repair set did not help. I'm looking for replacement of master cylinder another then Magura. But my bike has also electric click sensor. How did you solve this problem. This BMW pump has click sensor ?

1.jpg
  10. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2005 950. I've just removed the sensor altogether and bridged it.
  11. Rademenes

Rademenes n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks.
  12. schlusi

schlusi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for a solution to mount the choke-lever, you can use a (Magura) Decompression-Lever.
    I use this on my 500 2-Stroke-Maico. Fits easy on a 22mm bar.

Attached Files:

Whodatschrome likes this.
  13. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good alternative, although I'd be worried about breaking the reservoir in a get off.

Another solution is to resleeve the MC with a bronze sleeve. It'll last forever then. I think i paid $85 to have mine done.
  14. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd update everyone on the status with this.
    Even though brakefluid is nasty stuff, the seals made for it will swell up slightly when in contact with mineral oil, so the dot4 version of the Magura 167 is a no go unless you replace your slave cylinder with one suitable for dot4, both Oberon and Sigutech offers this.

In the end my new "flashy" master was useless, so I ordered the master repair kit for a mineral oil version of the 167, now everything is working nicely good or better than when the stock was new.

So if you are going this way and sticking with the stock slave, order Magura part MG2700186 as it will come with the correct seals suitable for mineral oil seals.

Hope this is usefull.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  15. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im am a bit over 100000 km on my 950 adv. Never had a problem with the master, never done anything to it, other than new oil from time to time. Using fork oil 2,5. Is there a problem on specific model years?
  16. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a problem per say. It's a wear item. Mine needed a resleeve at around 100k km so maybe you're due.
    roookie1 likes this.
  17. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine was a problem. Started leaking at 16,000 miles . Did two rebuilds which covered the next 10,000. When the second failed I raised it with KTM (well outside the warranty period) and they part warrantied a new M/C....for the 990 they now use the one from the 690 Duke which has a slightly wider bore at 11mm. Holding fine for the last 10,000. I’ll get round to re-sleeving the original one of these days....
    tomdubz likes this.
  18. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have a part number for that Magura lever?