KTM 990 Brake Light switches?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by x1valin1x, Jul 5, 2012.

1. x1valin1x

x1valin1x tommy

Oddometer:
    I have a 990 adventure and I'm wondering if any of you had sourced a different place to get the switch. Is such a little switch and for 60 something dollars that ktmtwins is asking......... I'm sure there has to be other places to get it. Links please and thankyou!:deal:evil
  2. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    You can fit the rear switch to replace the banjo bolt in the front master cylinder.

<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=460 bgColor=yellow><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Part Number:</TD><TD bgColor=white align=left>50311051100</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Description:</TD><TD bgColor=white align=left>BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REAR '98</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Retail:</TD><TD bgColor=white align=left>$24.74</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Your Price:</TD><TD bgColor=white align=left>$21.02 (15% discount) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Plugs into the same connector.

Allows EXC/SX lever to be used so you can fit a shorty or folding version :)
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given the price I assume you are talking about the front microswitch rather than the rear hydraulically operated switch.

As for price, list isn't $60. It's $46.08 and it's pretty easy to get 30% off of list.

If it's anything like the other microswitches Brembo uses (i.e Marquardt switches on the EXC) they are a custom design made for Brembo. I'd get creative with something like this

60011050000 BRAKE LIGHT SW. FRONT CPL. 03 $46.08
  4. DragonsTailR1

DragonsTailR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought an OEM one for the rear, $24 at the dealer.
  5. kingoftwins

kingoftwins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. Hope you inmates are stirring up the hornets nest. I checked into this Brakelight Switch on our site to make sure that our microfiche people were doing their job right and see that item listed for $24.99. If there is another switch that this is in reference to please let me know. Otherwise what I will do is reduce the price to the listed price of another online store to be competitive. Don't tell our microfiche people. They don't need to be calling us asking why we adjusted their stuff. Anyways we are always happy to try and either match another shops price or beat it if possible. Just let us know and we will crunch those numbers.

shank likes this.
  6. DragonsTailR1

DragonsTailR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See what you can do on the stealth sprocket while you are at it, seems to be about $40 above mkt price. Would like to order one soon.
  7. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assumed (as I said above) that the OP was referring to the front brake microswitch, rather than the rear brake pressure switch.
  8. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I think he is talking about the front switch, but I recommended he use a rear switch as its cheaper and gives a greater choice of levers.
  9. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    It's the same as the Ducati - its like $6 from mcMaster. Look up micro switches.

G$

PS you coming to the shop this week?
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Not a fan of that idea any more, just had a rear hydraulic switch / banjo bolt start leaking on my EXC, ruined a day of riding with no brakes.

This can never happen with the proper mechanical switch.
  11. OtownMike

OtownMike Electron Pusher

Oddometer:
    I successfully rebuilt the front brake switch on my 950. If you look at the switch there are plastic studs that are mushroomed to hold the halves together. I carefully drilled these out and opened it up. A little work on the contacts with some sandpaper and it was good to go. I believe I just snapped the halves back together and put it back on as the screw that mounts it to the brake lever bracket will also the halves together.
    erohver likes this.
  12. x1valin1x

x1valin1x tommy

Oddometer:
    Was trying to find it on mcMaster. I found nothing that looked similar to that switch..... However since I posted this I sprayed some cleaner into the switch I have. :wink: It de-gunkified it and it works fine now. I guess it just had to much mud and stuff in it. Just found out my rear switch doesn't work either haha. so I'll have to order up one of those. I keep trying to get this bike inspected...... It just never happens. I did just take my old inspection sticker off my fork and scrub clean. I feel like the cops just look for the color of the sticker. If they see no color they figure it might be hidden by some of the plastic on the bike :lol3
  13. jkabouw

jkabouw n00b

Oddometer:

Dear All

Just to add some data to this.
    I went to a shop that sell Chinese motor bike and parts and they had EXACTLY the same switch!!
    Only for US$ 3.
    So a no brainer.
  14. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did the same only I used a soldering iron to "weld" it back together total job took about 15 min.
  15. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take that back. The switch worked fine for a while now it's intermittent again. Anybody find a cheap source for these?
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume this is what people are talking about?

60011050000 BRAKE LIGHT SW. FRONT CPL. 03 $39.09

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/fo-k60011050000/

If "It's the same as the Ducati - its like $6 from mcMaster. Look up micro switches" or the same as some Chinese bike, maybe people can provide a SPECIFIC reference/part# as otherwise such comments are not that helpful.

[​IMG]
  17. lucaso

lucaso n00b

Oddometer:
    Just did this. Worked great!
  18. JPXT660Z

JPXT660Z JP-ADV990R

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Need to ask;
    *Do I need to bleed my Rear brakes once I remove my rear brake light pressure switch?

My Adv 990 R REAR brake light switch is faulty or probably needs cleaning... It works only when the foot brake is compressed quite hard. The front brake light switches are easy but the rear is connected to the rear brake master cylinder.
    Please advise if cleaning is possible or buying a new unit?

Any help would be great :)
    Thanks
    JP
  19. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to bleed when replacing and you will need to replace. I dont think cleaning will help.
  20. JPXT660Z

JPXT660Z JP-ADV990R

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help :) I'll take a look at the switch and will check the cable etc first before buying a new pressure switch.