KTM 990 switch to 19-17 wheels

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ggaggio19, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ggaggio19

ggaggio19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am considering the switch to 19-17 setup on my 990. I consider buying a pair of new wheels. This will permit me to have off-road-mixed wheels (21-18) and tarmac-only wheels (19-17) for a quick switch. I found Alpina second-hand at 700£, maybe negotiable.

What do you think of the idea? Or shall I just buy an additional pair of 21-18 if I want to have this comfort? Or just change tyres when I need to?

Is it easy to switch, or it requires a big setup change (suspensions, etc....)?

Thanks.
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran 3 sets of wheels on the 950.

OEM for mixed riding.

A set of skinner rims with aggressive knobbies.

And a 17/17 for pure street.

Have since ended up with a second adventure. So one is set up for dirt and one for street

If you have the money and don't bother the few minutes it takes to swap it a great way to have a more versatile bike.

/Johan
    Team Vegas and Crazygreek like this.
  3. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This year i bought alpina wheels set 19/17. In general you need a bit more: also 3 brake disks (2 front, 1 rear) and 2 abs (if you have it).
    What can i say. Yes, it costs a lot, but it changed my street riding. First of all i can use real road tyres (i installed Michelin Road 5 Trail on front and regular on rear). Got around 17k km on them (around 5k fully loaded with my wife), front good, rear show wear, probably need to be changed in 2k km.
    Comparing to the scorpion trail or mt90, which is last for 11-12k, it's so much better.

First i used 17/42 sprockets, but they are so bad on offroad with big wheels, so i switched to 16/42. In general top speed with 17/19 went down, but i love the dynamics. And on 6th gear i can accelerate to 200+ (which was very hard with 17/42).

Now i have 2 pair of wheels, swap them between road and offroad use. And i can say that i like it.

One thing to notice, recommend you to buy spare parts for both wheels if you buying alpina. This summer i broke rear wheel (need to replace 5 spokes) and found that they do not work in summer, and then i got my repair kit in mid October (broke wheel in August).
  4. ggaggio19

ggaggio19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your advices. I think I will probably join the group buying the second set 19-17.

I am from Italy and I know that in August Italian companies do not exists :jack
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll like the 19/17 wheels. You can get radials on both front and back which makes it handle much better on the street. The steering is quickened up a little. No quirky cornering like on the 17/17 wheels, very neutral. Try the Conti TKC70's, excellent.
    If you only change for a season, don't bother with brake disks.
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:

Have you actually tried 17/17?

Been running that for years without issues.

The only downside would be that I needed to unmount one brake caliper when swapping wheels. Not sure it that will be an issue with a 19?

If it's a pure street setup I would go 17/17.

/Johan
  7. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also one more thing. I don't know what 990 you have, but all of them allows to change front wheel size for proper speedometer readings.
    Depends on the year here is answer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/possible-to-change-wheel-size-on-a-r.606948/#post-15235012

I have 2009, so in general to change wheel size i need remove black/brown wire from dashboard every time i want to change wheels. So i just cut it and longer wire with connector, so i can disconnect it without removing anything.
    I do not know how it will affect dashboard if you remove it at all, seems that this wire does not do anything important.
    ggaggio19 likes this.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've put 17/17's on enough bikes to know I wouldn't like it. Unless I somehow added enough trail to keep the steering neutral on corners. Then they work, but it's not easy and it's not cheap to install new triple clamps or forks with more trail.

In any soft terrain, they suck.
  9. jose_doohan

jose_doohan n00b

Oddometer:
    Tengo el mío con 19 17, y va perfecto, neumático delantero alpina 19 y trasero de ktm 990SMR perfecta

1917.jpg
    ggaggio19 and Crazygreek like this.
  10. ggaggio19

ggaggio19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just one question I was thinking of only now: is it legal to swap the wheels? I live in the UK.
  11. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not.

And with newer homologised veichles if you break a bolt you need a new OEM for an arm and a leg from your dealer.

Would guess if following ALL THE RULES anything older then a few year is not legal.

You will be fine.

/Johan
    Crazygreek and ggaggio19 like this.
  12. ggaggio19

ggaggio19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I agree. My worry is what if there is an accident, etc... it is quite evident the wheels size xD
  13. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have had such worries also. But crashed my 990 with plenty of changes (still had 21/18 but many other mods).

Police did visit the crash site but hardly looked at it.

They talked to me at the emergency room at the hospital and was more mad at me for leaving the site of the accident. That was in the back of the ambulance so wanted to have them charged for helping me leave then they dropped that question.

I'm in Sweden but doubt UK police would heavily investigate an accident to benefit insurance companies? I might be wrong.

/Johan
    ggaggio19 likes this.
  14. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can add a story about legal issues.

Ended up with a fine in Switzerland for a bald rear tire.

So decided to sort that out in Germany the next day.

They refused to mount a tire that was a different brand then my front. (said it was illegal to run a veichle with different tire brands on, but a street legal full knobby together with sport tire was fine as long as it was the same brand).

Asked if they could sell me the tire and I would swap it myself? That was OK so proceeded to removing the rear tire and with it of the bike they could swap on a new tire for me cause then it was on me choosing 2 different brands.

EDIT: might add that this was riding my 950 with said 17/17 setup

/Johan
    ggaggio19 likes this.
  15. melk

melk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    German way. Also changed a tyre in Germany, they asked for me for new tube, because they not allowed to use the same tube. I don't have spare tube with me at that moment (left it in hotel with other stuff). Asked them to not damage tube when removing tyre and reuse it, and they agreed. My argument was that i will leave Germany on next day (it was less 100km from , so if i even had any accident it will not be in Germany.
    DirtyADV likes this.
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same in the US if the shop changes a tubed tire they force you to buy a new tube they refuse to reuse an old tube.

At least the shop my friend in Phoenix has his tires done at. But they are very cheap for the job if bringing bike to them. Usually they find some more things that needs fixing so guess that is good but the bill quickly goes up.

/Johan
  17. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I knew there was a reason I have my own tire machine...
  18. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    17/17?...you’ll surely die.
    E74C81A3-F7B9-47B6-A4DB-EC63DD849DF1.jpeg

Serious though, I think a second wheel set no matter what the size is (21/18, 19/17, 17/17) that has street meat tires mounted on them will be better than wearing out fresh knobbies on the tarmac.

*this picture is courtesy of @ncj01*
    C8F9A4CC-DC21-4DB5-88EB-77067289A3FF.jpeg
    ggaggio19 likes this.
  19. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet pic!

I’m also BAAAACK:

IMG_5007.jpg
    ggaggio19 and Whodatschrome like this.
  20. ggaggio19

ggaggio19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am convinced: just finalised the purchase of a pair 19/17 second hand with brake discs (front and rear) and rear sprocket for 650£.

Now I have another question: do you think I can put the wheels on the back of my bike securing them with ropes, straps etc... to transport them? Or they are too big...

PS: I don't have a car, only a bike :rofl
    DirtyADV likes this.