KTM 990r vs. 1090r

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by coolrunnings, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Would you want to read a Ride Report/comparo over the 990/1090?

1. Yep

148 vote(s)
    94.3%
  2. Nope

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. coolrunnings

coolrunnings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK,

I can't get this comparison out of my brain. The 1090r thread has had zero response to this notion. My guess is that they don't care and to some degree I see why.

I would like to compare a 990 vs a 1090r and have all things be equal (as much as possible).

Test setup:

I am buying a 2008 990 and it will have:

R suspension Height (I will need to have this adjusted i.e. new springs for weight)
    Wings Pipes
    Mapping
    Skid plate
    Offroad tires (TKC or pirelli scorpion rally's)
    Rally Screen
    GPS
    Grip heaters

*I will remove the center stand as the 1090r does not have one.

The 1090r should be similarly equipped (currently seeking applicants)

Comparison Points:

1. Weight - This is a critical factor IMHO to every rider.
    -Fully Fueled (i.e. max weight)
    2. On Road Manners
    -Wind coverage, turning radius, parking, getting on/off, MPG's, etc.
    -How does the bike work when getting to the trails?
    3. Off Road Manners
    -Turning, how does the COG feel, high, low, etc.
    -Slow Maneuvers: turning around, parking, slow pace,
    -High(er) Speed, does it feel planted?
    4. Ergonomics
    -Rider positions (sitting, standing, attack position)
    -Input response, does the bike wear you out? Is it snatchy down low, harsh up top, engine braking, foot brake, clutch, etc.
    chevtech likes this.
  2. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    What you question mate ?

In short: The 990 is a modern classic. The 1090 R is a new bike with nice features and a feel like the modern 990, that looks 75 % as cool as the 990.
  3. coolrunnings

Oddometer:
    Which is better and why? This is mostly from a dirt riders perspective.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  4. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm pretty sure the 990 crashes much better
    Ferd, Team Vegas, B1KSOLO and 3 others like this.
  5. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    also, the 1090 is a striaght up 1190R with small tweaks to motor, no centerstand, slightly less of a MTC/ABS package, and stiffer fork springs?

the full bore comparison probably isn't that exciting b/c it's already been done to the 1190R.

Just my thoughts.
  6. coolrunnings

Oddometer:

Agreed, nobody wants to know that their new machine isn't as good as a 990R in the dirt...

I get the distinct feeling my comparo wouldn't help sales, farkle's, etc. What my perspective is good for is the consumer. In Summary my hypothesis is, if you like the dirt, want to shred gnar and are ok with giving up creature comforts then the 990 is for you.

If you want a better road manner bike that can shred but isn't quite at home in the gnar, then go with the 1090r.

The kicker here are the trade offs are they worth it??? Cost, ergo's, suspension, etc. Do you get enough bike out of a 1090r to make a 990 fade into the background?? I have not heard of many people trading in or selling a 990 for a 1090r...

I would disagree with what a 1090 is vs an 1190, The suspension is a HUGE plus on the 1090r. The weight is negligible but how it is carried is important. The loss of CC's is HUGE again. I think they lost significant weight on the motor itself. That combined with less rotating mass makes for a better handling bike. If ridden back to back I would bet every person would say the 1090r turns better.
    OlafofOregon likes this.
  7. coolrunnings

Oddometer:
    Good point. That is a big plus for anyone who drops their bike (anyone who rides off road essentially).
    Team Vegas and chevtech like this.
  8. coolrunnings

Oddometer:
    Quick question: "Money being no object in this scenario" would you trade your 990r for a 1090r?
    jrodgolfer likes this.
  9. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same debate Andrew. Bought the 990 and it's an awesome machine, but to get it the way I want it (suspension/extra fuel, etc.) I might as well buy the 1090R. Most of my riding is in the woods now (not as hard core as you are), but I still have to ride long stretches sometimes to get where I want and I find the 990 is lacking a bit for extended touring.

I'm not sure there's a right answer here, or a bad choice. I think you'll be happy either way you decide to go. If you do pick up the 1090 let me know because I want to ride it :)
    coolrunnings and AliveDK like this.
  10. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    And a good one....

One of my friends just bought one. And the answer is a big NO. The 1090R is nice, it's fun to ride and I appreciate the off-road ABS. But it's just a bike. With my 990 R I feel I have something unique...and something that makes me feel badass, even if just going to the office :-)

[​IMG]
  11. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I probably would.
    coolrunnings likes this.
  12. coolrunnings

Oddometer:
    NOOOOOOOO! Won't let you... Time to shred brotha!! once your kiddos are more self sufficient (one is and the other is a still infant if I remember correctly) you are going to head out to the trails with me and we will use these 990's!!
  13. coolrunnings

Oddometer:
    More so what I am proposing as the value option:

1. Buy a 990r
    2. Buy a 1290r

They are mutually exclusive and if money were no object it would serve you well to have those in the stable.
  14. Beejaytee

Beejaytee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other consideration for this quandary is reliability. Now before anyone flys off on how reliable a950/990 is, hear me out. All bikes are reliable before people start fu&$ing with them.

I own a new to me 950. It’s awesome. But I do worry about riding to the trails, having a problem caused by the PO’s lack of maintenance, and being SOL to get home. A brand new bike would have much less of a chance of this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LTKernel and coolrunnings like this.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless they're side by side at the same time, then it's closer to 60%.
    Silverkap and AliveDK like this.
  16. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    I've just test ridden a 1090. I liked it very much, but my 950 with a 990 SD engine (ADV gearbox) has better fuelling - more punch low down and midrange, and it's super smooth coming on the throttle (in a way 990 owners can only dream of. Sorry).

The 1090's stiffer suspension feels nice and soft at the beginning of the travel - softer than my standard 950 - so it seems that KTM have done a great job there.

The controls were lighter than my 950, so that was nice.

I was disappointed to find the 1090 had little engine braking - maybe this can be dialled with a different map?

I don't think the 1090 will wear as well as my 950 - for instance my anodised brake callipers still come up like new after 13 years and 98.5k miles. There are many more painted parts on the new bikes.

There's no doubt the 1090 is related to the 950/990 - it handles and steers in just the same way. I love that. And am please to find that KTM have not lost it.

Silly that they've left the centre stand off the 1090 but at least they can claim more weight reduction compared with the 1290

The wiring on the 950 has proved to be a weak point, and it looks as if the 1090 will be as bad or worse - for instance I don't like the vulnerable Lambda wiring on the rear header, and the overly thin wires elsewhere.

I would expect the de-tuned 1090 motor to be robust and reliable. The 950/990 is pretty good, but the tenancy for the rear base gaskets to fail on bikes that are used hard is shame and a pain to fix.

If the 950 didn't exist, I'd certainly be happy with the 1090.
    WAGmore01, AliveDK and bobone like this.
  17. Kona990

Kona990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM-790-Adventure-005.jpg I rode the 1090 and loved it, but it didn't give the same ear to ear grin the 990 does. I do agree the brakes and suspension were awesome for stock.

The looks of the 1090 are okish, a little bit generic. 1290 looks bitchin IMO. I love the way the 950/990's look, it's so different than any other bike out there, still turns heads. I still get super excited every time I see one out in the wild, which is not very often. I will keep my 990 forever even when it completely wears out and that makes me sad because as I approach 100 000k's it really sucks I can't buy another new one.

Which is why I have high hopes for the upcoming 790 Adventure. I've spent lots of time going over and analyzing all the spy pics and looks to me it will a closer 990 replacement. Looking at the spy pics, it's got twin tanks. Getting excited to see what the final styling will look like. KTM will probably show a concept at EICMA in November, which means production bikes are another year away and probably another before they hit North America. Let's hope I'm wrong on that one!!

Also a lowered seat option like the Africa Twin would be a nice option, not everyone is six feet tall!!
    mutt550, AliveDK, MattF44 and 3 others like this.
  18. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    one thing not mentioned (at least I didn't see it) is the top gear to bottom gear ratio. The 950/990 gear box is 3.02 to 1 and I find it is almost enough but not quite. I still have to pick the right sprocket for the ride. When the 1190 came out I got a spec' sheet and it's T to B ratio was horrible but then a couple years later another reference showed it to be same as 990. So I don't know it either. But there is no data that I can find about the 1090. Please if you know I really would like that info. If you have a 1090 how about measuring it and let us know. Easy way if you don't know - run it in 1st at a RPM (say 4000) and note the speed then run in 6th at same RPM and note speed. That will do it.
    MLD and chevtech like this.
  19. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    How tall are you?

That makes a big difference in how you will feel on a 990r vs 1090. If you don't wear 32+ inseam pants you would probably feel more in charge on a 1090.

Also when you say off road riding, what does mean to you?

To some offroading is occasional gravel roads or its trails with tame two tracks with beautiful cut grass in the middle, or repurposed railway beds (any bike will do these just fine). To some other riders rocking/muddy gnarly trails you can hardly walk on is offroading. For those only the 990 among big bikes can do it right IMO.

But at the end of the day none of that matters. I'd look at both and see which one put a smile on your face. Buy that one.
    goodcat8 and chevtech like this.
  20. chevtech

chevtech Long timer

Oddometer:
    Truth!

:beer
    mutt550 likes this.