KTM Adventure Rally Canada (Red Mountain)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mroddis, Feb 12, 2019.

1. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    RevyRider likes this.
  2. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in going. Seems like an expensive event, especially considering the cost of the KTM events in the states.
    I believe the R1 and R2 routes are required to be done in teams of 2-4 while the ultimate race qualifier is solo. I dont think finding a suitable team to join will be a problem for solo riders.

Im interested in feedback on the routes from last year.
    How hard is the R1 vs R2 going to be? The R1 sounds a bit intimidating but I wouldn't want to do the R2 and then not be challenged.
    TooFarGone and Allrpm like this.
  3. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am definitely interested in the R1 myself. I rode a few sections of the R1 rout last year when I was in Vernon for the Chris Birch clinic. I would say it was a similar level of difficulty as the ride we did on Cheam / Thurston last year I would think Red Mountain will be the same.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  4. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! That will be a blast then. I am hoping to do a CB course in the week of the race if he is offering them leading up to it. Are you planning on doing the race? So far myself and a friend on a 1090R are planning on doing it together. I think the key is going to be getting in great shape so we dont end up being gassed halfway through the ride.
    I'm not going to register until closer to the event since there are no refunds at all according to eventbrite.
    TooFarGone likes this.
  5. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on doing the R1 rally route but haven't sorted the details out yet. I agree with waiting to sign up, last year and my teammate was injured so we had to cancel but only got half the money back and that was a favour they didn't have to refund anything. I plan on going to a CB clinic this year too... It was awesome! But I think I'll try to do the one in Squamish if he puts it on again. Last year it would have meant a whole week in a hotel with the clinic and rally, it adds up to a lot of $$ and time away from work. The dates might work out better this year will have to wait and see. Keep me in mind if you guys want another 1090 along I have been bugging Allrpm to sign up but he's very non committal...
    Allrpm and MikefromNL like this.
  6. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the time off work. I usually camp at rec sites so the lodging cost isn't an issue. The Squamish course was great last year. We also had a good group. I'll do a course somewhere with him again for sure this year. Somewhere different would be nice. If we can get enough guys together who are at a similar level, maybe we can arrange to do one with him for the group of us and learn/practice skills specifically for the race?

We have space for 2 on our team still. I figured you and Allrpm may be interested. I know living away and having kids can complicate things!
    I know you guys are usually a good bit faster than I am, and so is the other guy I will be doing it with but I have big plans to improve before the race! Lol
    So far we have discussed that our focus will be more on having fun and finishing safely than winning. I think the biggest thing for putting a team together is making sure everyone is on the same page regarding goals and skill level. I'm sure there will be more than one team going from our area so if you're planning on being more competitive then no worries!

Chris Birch got back to me on the difficulty.
    Quote from him: "I have heard the plan is to make it a bit easier this year. It should be an adv ride not an enduro." So the R1 route is definitely what we will be starting on day 1.
  7. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think the R1 route is a race but rather a navigation rally. I think it’s more about sticking to the route they load into your gps than speed. Maybe we can use this thread to organize training rides for the R1 rally. Places like Nickel Mine riding area, Bear Mountain ORV park and Whipsaw Trail would all make excellent places to practice. If there are others like myself who want to ride R1 but don’t have a team this will be a great way to ride together while training for the event and find compatible teams. Who knows if there is enough interest maybe we can put together that private CB clinic.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  8. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. We could start some weekend in March maybe? Count me in!
  9. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its been on my Hit list since the first one 3 years ago. I highly doubt I'll be able to make this one, but as always I remain open to the possibility of chance ;) LOL! That said, Air Canada seems to have something running for bikes and if I am not mistaken there is a dude on ADVrider somewhere that hauls bikes east to west and back. If enough folks from this side of the Country wanted to attend and got organized, it might make it worth while.

The actual cost of the event itself is not terribly crazy for what you get if recall correctly. Basic room for the duration plus entry was under a grand .... I think. But don't quote me on that.
  10. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    After thinking about it, I think you're right on the cost. Food is included for Thursday night to Saturday night and it's a small event with the max number of riders limited to around 150. It's really not unreasonable. Just expensive for those of us who typically camp and prepare our own food. I'm sure it's well worth the cost.
  11. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are severly guilting me into this! I should be able to swing it! Of course I am in for all the riding this year, when I can............. I have a Redverz Atacama so it would make a good base camp.

RPM
    TooFarGone and MikefromNL like this.
  12. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the spirit!
    There is a campground right in Rossland but it's about 5km from red mountain. I'm undecided about camping vs. hostel or hotel.
    TooFarGone likes this.
  13. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best get your wheelie game strong folks :deal
    TooFarGone and MikefromNL like this.
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good video.
    I managed to figure out how to lift the front wheel on my DCT after some coaching from Chris.
    The one area where I REALLY miss my clutch lever.
    TooFarGone likes this.
  15. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out to Chehalis Lake / West Harrison tomorrow morning if anyone wants to join. I have a route over Hemlock scoped out that looks good on the topo and Google Earth. I'd like to ride into Chehalis and check out the trailhead. From there I'm thinking of heading over to West Harrison to check out some of the motorized trails above Hale Creek that are on the BCBR maps and see if they are ridable on big bikes. This could be a good practice area for the KTM Rally if they are. Lastly, I want to check out what they have done at the Bremner Creek crossing on West Harrison. What I have seen is they made the bank from the road to the bridge deck possibly ridable but added in logs and boulders to barricade the road. I want to see if it's feasible to get a bike past there for trip planning this season. Not sure it's all doable in a day but will get done what I can.
    MRCL likes this.
  16. 4ttrialsguy

4ttrialsguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time they allowed us to Camp in the back wooded area in the big parking lot rite at Red Mountain Lodge for free. Also there is the Rams Head Inn rite behind Red Mountain Lodge, big breakfast included, hot tub, nice place to stay.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  17. sparwood_rider

sparwood_rider I spend way too much time on this website.

Oddometer:
    I’m a local from Rossland. If anyone has questions about the area, let me know. The Rossland campground is 5 minutes from Red. There’s quite a few Airbnb’s and b&b’s in town as well as a couple hotels. I signed up for this event as soon as I could.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  18. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    New KTM rider. Got my 1290 SAR this spring after 21 years on the Bavarian brand. :-)

I’m signed up for the KTM Rally this fall — coming from Surrey / Vancouver. I talked my buddy into joining me and he’s going to ride my wife’s bike, an R1200GS. (His bike is too small — only 400 cc.) Should be a blast!

We nabbed an AirBnB for the duration.

See you there in September.
  19. Suds17

Suds17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone from Eastern Canada attending. I'm registered in the R1 class and looking at options for shipping the 1290SAR.
  20. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check in with the KTM office in Quebec to see if they have room for your bike in their trailers that they are driving out. Last year at least one participant was able to sow away with the ktm fleet...
    Perhaps they also may be able to help organize something if many people are interested in shipping their bike out.