ktm carb questions, among otherthings

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by porterfish, Jan 7, 2004.

1. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    first off, specific to the toomer, how in the hell do you get the carb out of a lc4, damn thing is shoehorned inthere and the only way I can figure is to either remove the whole motor or remove the subframe and electrics, I cannot imagine that a bike that is built to be worked on would be this much of a pita, any tricks I am missing?
    second, when discussing varnish removal does the enitre mechanism need to be disassembled or can it be done without jigsaw hour at Matt's house? Bringing the above questions together is there a way to devarnish the carb without removing it from the bike?
  2. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    You bring more beer to DirtDOG's house and a couple of cans of aerosol carb cleaner along with the bike and we spend an hour or so calling KTM a few choice names while we fix it.:1drink
  3. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    lol you bass whore.

In all seriousness(is that a word), I will bring you more than before if I cannot figure this thing out, i cannot ride it and i dont got a trailer(im not pep or flug or anyone so important) so she sits in my garage waiting for attendion she will not get for another month or so. I hope to have her running well enough to come playin in dogland by the time my school interviews are done(2/1). I may give you a call at ktm phone tech.com for tips though.

btw, after more tinkering the plug may be more of a problem that the carb, how many cases does that job require?:rofl
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    What's the problem? If it's real bad you will need to pull the carb, but otherwise it's easy to pull the needle, the bowl and main jet.

The carb isn't too bad too pull. Disconnect the push pull cables, choke and fuel lines, then back off the clamps for the boots. You then rotate it and wiggle it out. Might be a few other things to loosen, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Cheers, Mack
  5. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    if this were in the thumper forum with all the ktm guys you may get more ressponses.

like mack said. the carb removal is not bad at all. about 15 minutes out, and 15 back in again.
  6. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could come over in the truck, pick it up, and bring it back to my house and work on it for ya. I should have it figured out by late Fall, anyway.:evil
  7. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:

I've found that several trips into Snakus Handleus are required for proper tuning. :):