KTM confirms 800cc twin in development

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by pwh, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW has demonstrated that there is a market for the 800 c.c. bikes. Ducati has just added to that with the very popular Scrambler Ducati. A successful KTM in this size would have good sales potential. The 690 Enduro R is not going away. That has been a very good model for KTM and with the new engine (in 2017?) it should be even more desirable. I am also surprised that KTM does not offer an "Adventure kit" for the enduro in their hard parts catalog.

Stu
    Salitre likes this.
  2. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 690 is a desirable model for sure. No so sure how successful it is though. In the UK market there are less on the road than xChallenges and xCountries
  3. Stu

Oddometer:
    c-m,

With less vibration do you think there will be more interest in the 690 in the UK?
  4. S.t.t.G.

S.t.t.G. Mind over metal...

Oddometer:
    Along the lines of the Nuda? That'd be sweet...
  5. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
  6. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting. A couple more years to wait yet I imagine.
  7. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Triumph's success with the Tiger 800 line has been as or more significant than BMW's. I always wondered why the old 750 class disappeared, I think it's an excellent size for many roles.

I hear ya on "why no ADV kit/option for the 690", lots would go for it. A ADV 690 with the updated Duke engine makes huge sense to me especially if they offered a 2" lowered version also.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  9. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder who'll get to market first. KTM or Yamaha? My bet's on the latter, since KTM haven't even got the new Duke engine in a 690 yet.
  10. Stu

Oddometer:
    The new Duke 690 engine is available now. I will get mine next weekend. I have to travel almost 600 miles to get it since KTM imported so few. Why with a new engine that is a very low vibration single is a mystery to me. A friend of Mike Laffertys went with him to ride the new bike at the end of Feb. at a dealer demo. He reported (on ADVRider) that it vibrated less than his F800 BMW. This engine is apparently a winner. Low weight (325 lbs dry) and agile handling make it a really superior bike for those that don't want an over-stuffed couch. If they can produce a twin with the same characteristics they will have two winners.

Stu
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the F800 a good comparison? Hopefully it's much better.

Hopefully KTM will make more use of that upgraded 690 engine. It seems like vibes was about the only thing wrong with it. It certainly isn't lacking for power or durability.
  12. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I meant in a 690 SM or Enduro.

They still need to fix the self destructing rocker arms. As the top of the engine in different perhaps they've done that now.
  13. tootone

tootone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test rode a 690 Duke, and a friend just bought an R model, fantastic light bike negligible vibes, doesn't get harsh like f800.
    Wondering if KTM will shift the 690 over to husky. And use the new 800 for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Stu

Oddometer:
    Whatever else KTM needs to do a far better job marketing their singles. Ducati took existing parts and created the Scrambler that with incredibly capable marketing increased their sales world-wide in one year by 20%. The Scrambler isn't technologically advanced. Cost compromises seem to be most apparent with the handling but it is selling very well indeed. KTM could, for example, take visual ques from the Norton Manx and create a magnificent '70's styled stormer with the new 690 engine. Raiding their own past styling efforts might be hilarious but probably counter productive. The 690 Adventure would also be a great new model. The forthcoming parallel twin's design needs careful thought regarding design. Making another "transformer toy" designed bike probably would not nudge sales much. Just thoughts.

Stu
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  15. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I totally agree. KTM "styling" seems to follow Kawasaki's cartoon approach which leaves me cold. The SM-T 990 was the only road bike I felt looked decent. Their "marketing" is almost non-existent and demo opportunities far and few between.

Maybe they should let an Italian firm do the styling.....
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  16. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all the plastics on their bikes are made by Acerbis, who are an Italian company. Just need them to do the styling too.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  17. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    KTM has design firm Kriska style their bikes and are way too wacky and transformer looking. They need to hire a Southern California design firm that knows how to balance modern and retro and can work with Acerbis to make the plastic panels simple and flowing with the body of the bikes.

A bad example of KTM Kiska design is the KTM 1190. The fuel tank plastic is ridiculous and the bike looks silly⬇️. It's a shame because the naked bike is amazing. Had it been designed by their Dakar race team in a rally style it would have been a home run.

The KTM marketing seems like its run by a bunch of arrogant farmers.

Big problem when you're competing with BMW.
  18. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt they care. They have record sales and are making money hand over fist. None of these big companies really compete against eachother outright. They exist to provide a return to their owners.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
  19. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: