KTM Duke 890 spied -- is this the beginning of a new adventure bike from KTM?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by armourbl, Feb 19, 2016.

1. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    'adventure' types will be pleased it's a parallel twin as they are nearly always better on fuel, and should be easier to work on.

I hear what you're saying about the noise, but it's just a waste product.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
  2. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a TDM900 with the 270 degree crank. people were always surprised when I told them its a parallel twin as it sounded like a V.
  3. armourbl

armourbl Adventure Life

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the people who are disappointed that it will be a parallel twin have ridden a modern version of this engine recently. My wife's FZ07 is a parallel twin and I have to say I think it would make a superb adventure bike motor. I think the only downside to it will be the width of the engine, and maybe the added weight up front.

I'm going to hold judgement until I see one and hopefully ride one. KTM may just get this one right.

ben
  4. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Wheelie Ergo Sum

Oddometer:
    I'm excited to see what this thing looks and rides like. I'm just worried that it will get swept up in the MSRP arms race along with the other EuroADV bikes and be $18k new. Although I don't have any interest in the African Twin, they did certainly price it right.
  5. grease pants

grease pants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting.... when it's all said an done. here in l.a. a africa twin dct will take 17 grand out of your pocket, I think ktm will be competitive with pricing an crush the over rated honda in quality and peformance.
  6. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Let's just hope they don't let their styling people at Kiska turn it into a transformer with plastic scales all over it's frame and tank like the 1190. Or worse god only hopes it doesn't end up with a BEAK or BEAK OVER LOW FENDER...
    knobbyjoe, desert sky and Stephen like this.
  7. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Wow, didn't realize it came out to that much. I thought it was like 12 or 13 out the door...
    At any rate, I agree that it should be far superior. The AT is really just a 990 with traction control afterall... :hide (sorry, didn't mean to turn this into one of THOSE threads lol)
  8. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    good eye!
  9. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Interesting pic here of engine? http://www.iamabiker.com/arpith/2016/ktm-800-duke-with-parallel-twin-engine-caught-testing/
    Things I like:
    Cable clutch...easy to fix, easy to carry spare, easy to adjust. Someone will probably make variable length arm to adjust ease of pull.
    Wet sump...with a oil level window!
    CCT...easy to access & hopefully someone like DirtTricks will make a drop in.
    Separate oil pan casting, replaceable should it get punched.

Things kinda ehh...
    How are ya gonna mount a solid skid plate to an Adv style bike? That upper angine/radiator mount is pretty far up there.
    Kinda BIG radiator.
    Air box appears to be under seat ala 07-08 KTM 690SM...worst ever to service. Also a bit on the low side.
  10. genuflector

genuflector I want to cross that

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg From today's british magazine MCN.
  11. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 950/990 ADV headlight, and same small radiator as the 950/990 ADV too. Fortunately the twin shouldn't create anywhere near the same amount of heat.

Seems like it has some promise. Anything between 80-100hp and around 200kg +/- 10kg and it should be a winner.

I never understand photos like these though. They must be factory leaks for sure. I've seen Lotus testing cars in my home town, and if I really wanted too I could just follow the car with my gopro in 4k and/or take high res photos whilst it's at traffic lights and junctions. None of this hiding in a bush with a 200mm lens.
    ErGuss likes this.
  12. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    Oh those are interesting pics...great find!

Didn't notice this originally on the Duke spy shots...I see the lower pivot point for the shock is much higher on the swingarm and the shock angle is much steeper. A bit like the 390 bikes but the mount is way beefier and angle looks steeper.
    ErGuss likes this.
  13. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yes I do hate those beaks. just for me I worry the first tree that jumps out in front of me will cause a lot of damage
  14. darkstarmoto

Oddometer:
    "Stefan Pierer, President and Chief Executive Officer of KTM, once said the company is also working on building a parallel-twin motorcycle with an engine close to 500 cc of displacement."

Who else thinks a p-twin EXC style Enduro would be a winner too?
    ErGuss likes this.
  15. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Would I buy it? Yes. Would it do well on the show floor? Probably not.
  16. Zepphead

Zepphead Ride,explore,camp

Oddometer:
    As long as it's as unique and gnarly as the two stroke parallel twin 500cc Yankee image.jpg
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    The KTM boys better get this right ... did a demo day on the Africa Twin and the bike is really good. My source at Honda says they are planning to sell a lot over the next 10 years.
    juno likes this.
  18. Ride!

Ride! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Won't be hard for KTM to make a bike a few notches better than the Honda. Hell, they did better in 2003.

Too bad they didn't have the marketing power of big red to hype it...

Glad Honda made that bike but Im going to hold out another year and ride whatever comes out of Mattenhoffen. You KNOW it'll be badass even if it takes everyone else 12 years to realize it.
  19. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

I'm still riding one of those, just turned over 115,000 miles. I am waiting to see what KTM does with the smaller bikes before I decide what's next, but it will be a KTM.

[​IMG]
  20. WyldKard

WyldKard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain what the advantage of a twin would be in this engine size? It would have to be a heavier bike, right?