KTM Electrosport stator questions?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Jul 4, 2008.

1. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    I have a 525 exc that I'm turning into a dual sport and I need more lighting. Ive heard great things about trailtech stators etc, but I would really like more power output. I've also read all the threads about how electrosport sucks, and the regulators break, batteries explode, etc etc...

I've heard of a few people running them successfully. One guy on ktmtalk said that he's using the electrosport stator with the KTM LC4 regulator and has had no problems for 2 years with it...

My question is: has anyone else heard of using the LC4 voltage regulator with the electrosport stator in an RFS bike? would it help to run the lights all the time with the electrosport stator so the regulator has less work to do and doesnt get as hot regulating all that extra voltage? The 270 watt output would really help what I need this bike to do...

Thanks
  2. mangyrat

mangyrat Low life

Oddometer:
    I personally would stay away form electrosport like they were the black plague. :eek1

have you given any thought to going all led's for tail light, blinkers and gauge lights then try a HID for the head light?
    the LEDs will save you some power and the HID head light only uses around 35 watts when its running.
  3. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    I looked into this as well for a different bike. Electrosport has a 1 year warrenty but has a terrible reputation .I could find few failures reported. Trailtech has an excellent rep. and the cost is close so...
  4. JohnnyAdventure

JohnnyAdventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Dale at Trick Dualsport wii rewind your stator for less than a hundred dollars I believe. I have 10,000 miles on my 525 with no problems. I run a 90 watt bulb but thats pushing it. If you are not running a descent rpm you will have to kickstart it at times.
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the indexed thread on the fella who converted his LC4? I think one other did the conversion. Some info there.

And you might want to get the attention of Luke, best in his stator thread (also indexed) because I recall him posting that the regulator/rectifier does not just burn excess power off :scratch but actually makes the generator stop outputting... something like that. He's the man hereabouts to help you with your question. :beer
  6. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Attention got.

Disclaimer: I'm more of a theory guy, but I have looked at the internal design of different types of regulators.

Like Meat said, many old regulators are brute force devices that simply turn excess stator power into heat. Newer regulators (post 1980) have a more complicated design that makes life much easier for the regulator. The design allows a regulator that can only dissipate a few tens of watts control a stator that is rated to put out hundreds of watts.

This doesn't change the fact that if you hook a regulator up to a stator that's too powerful for it you will fry the regulator. If you really want to worry, take a look at the 400w KLR stator saga.

You can play tricks with extra loads on the AC side to reduce the load on the regulator. I wouldn't do it, though. Having a $10 bulb blow is annoying. Having the $100 regulator fail shortly afterwards is much worse. Adding loads to the DC side will add heat to the regulator via the rectifier devices.

The regulators that you are looking at using are designed for three phase stators. The stator you have is two phase. This shouldn't be a huge problem, except that with the two phase stator you will only use 2/3 of the power devices in the regulator. I would use a regulator that is rated for much more power than the two-phase stator is rated for. You might consider something like the 400W regulator from the BMW F650GS.
  7. underkill

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that the electrosport stator was 3 phase not 2 phase for my bike... Which is why I was thinking of using the LC4 regulator, since they're both 3 phase... I also only considered the electrosport stator in the first place because it puts out so much more wattage than even a rewound baja designs or trailtech stator... or at least that's what I keep hearing.. if I'm wrong about the comparisons between the different aftermarket stators, someone please let me know! i know the electrosport says 270watt or so.. and trailtech says theirs puts out like 100 at idle.. so.. I really don't know how they compare... if the trailtech puts out like 250 when you're hauling down the highway, then that makes them a little more even comparison and i won't continue to worry about it! ;)

has anyone put the actual LC4 stator in a 525? i thought about it, but they're on opposite sides of the motor and even if it did physically fit, i think the direction of rotation would be opposite... I hate electronics, but its an interesting idea...

thanks for the help y'all! :clap
  8. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize it, but just checked the electrosport website. It is a three phase stator. The trailtech stator is two phase. The RFS ignition requires its own two-phase winding. The LC4 stator doesn't have one, so it won't work.

Read the website carefully. On the installation instructions, it says that half the bikes tested had an ignition system problem cause by their stator. :huh
  9. underkill

Oddometer:
    oh hell, I give up... :bluduh I guess I'll just get the trailtech stator and worry about auxiliary lighting and goodies on my next bike... :(
  10. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Is it the way the Trail Tech describes their stators output that worries you (100+ watts@idle)?? Give them a call & find out what the output is at speed. I'm sure its much more & may be just what you're looking for.
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :nod

Here is Flanny's post on the stock LC4 stator. He got the info from a KTM engineer, and nobody has questioned it's content. Note the bit on generator output at different RPMs:

12. underkill

Oddometer:
    well i know the electrosport is advertised as 270 watt.. which im assuming is at speed.. and the trailtech is advertised specifically as 100 watt off idle... so.. has anyone figured out what the stator makes at speed? you're right in that it might make enough to make me happy.. the 270 would be badass, but... it doesnt seem like it's going to be easy to make work, and I hate electronics... or rather, they hate ME! ;)
  13. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Holy crap - wish I'd seen this a couple months ago -(thanks CB)

I very carefully installed the Electro Sport stator and new reg/rec on my 08 525 preparing for the Mt Hood Rally which had a night lap. Bike ran great, made plenty of juice (an EE confirmed) and then one stage, bike ran like total crap!?!?! Like REALLY bad gas. Backfiring and about 40% of normal power. I flogged it really hard to the end of the stage, shut it off, got my time card done, started it up and it ran great again -wtf !?!?!?!?!?!?

My motor is in Seattle now being rebuilt. I have no idea if the stator had anything to do with the bearing situation but I cannot imagine anything else making the bike run like it did.

BTW, it did it again the day it blew up, I shut it off for about a minute, then it ran normally . . . and then blew up.
  14. mangyrat

mangyrat Low life

Oddometer:
    if you use the electro sport stator/junk. keep your old stator your going to need it again, its just a mater of time.:cry
  15. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    How much juice do you need / want.
    There are 3 options from Trailtech.
    Add wire to stock stator, float ground (full DC), add rectifier ~85w @ ~$40
    New stator & rectifier ~100w @ ~$160
    New stator, rectifier flywheel (better magnets) ~120w @ ~$250

You can run everything you need off ~85w if you do things carefully. I have the cheap option ~85w and have HID for lights (less power than Halogen), GPS and fan. Replace rear bulb with LED (less power), pull the silly 5w bulb from headlight. Never had an issue with it, can run all at once and no battery drain. I also charge phone with the bike when on long trips. I don't see what else you would want / need except maybe heated grips if you live in a cold area, but not a chance you could run those.
    I do have 2 HID's and I can't say I'd trust Fan and both HID's on at the same time, I'd probably drain the battery system.
    But with this bike, there is no problem starting it with a drained battery, so I'd suggest try the cheap option and see if it works.

There is a great webside with all the information you need, although a little out of date.
    http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_stator.htm