KTM EXC RFS to Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by ghostridergary, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ghostridergary

ghostridergary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my first thread and rebuild, so be gentle with me!

So I have a couple of EXC RFS’s - these are great bikes, light, quick, handle huge amounts of abuse and keep going and easily repaired.

I have a 2004 EXC 450 and 2005 EXC 525; one is these (the 525) is my "Adventure Bike":

upload_2018-12-4_6-31-20.png
    And the other was used for the odd enduro but I got too old to do those so decided to convert the 450 for something more suitable for posing around in London!

I was inspired by this….

upload_2018-12-4_6-31-42.png
    But found out it wasn't real but just a photoshop creation!

However, one talented guy in the UK (Dan Ridge) had already gone this route and created this masterpiece:

upload_2018-12-4_6-31-53.png

Dan kindly provided me with some hints and tips on how he had achieved his build so thanks to him.

So this winter my project is to convert this:

upload_2018-12-4_6-32-2.png
    To something resembling the photoshop creation.

I'm not rich or a professional mechanic, so I'm not planning on a concours-esque rebuild, but am trying to do it on a tight budget with my limited fabrication facilities and skills!

So here we go.....
    shinyribs, chris a and Foxed101 like this.
  2. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    So before I started in earnest I obtained some cheap parts off ebay which I thought might fit and bolted together some aluminium bar to form a subframe to provide a mock up to see how it all might fit together:

upload_2018-12-4_6-56-24.png
    The tank and fitting around the radiators look like being the tricky bits and the suspension probably needs dropping a bit.

So having stripped these bikes down a number of times, I had it down to the frame in a couple of hours - as I said, its a great bike to work on!

upload_2018-12-4_6-59-54.png

The frame had previously been powdercoated black from that "champagne gold" colour the 2004-2007 RFS's originally came in so just needed a touch up. I had good experiences with this Simoniz paint so gave it a few coats to freshen it up:

upload_2018-12-4_7-2-44.png
  3. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    Engine out - new piston, cam chain and head work in 2016 so no need for a major update -waterpump seals went this summer so replaced those.

Got the bike in 2009, but no real idea of previous mileage/ hours but guessing around 2000mls/ 80hrs from previous owners description - since then I've done another 8000mls and 300hrs, so I'm guessing the engine has about 10,000 miles and 400hrs on it.

upload_2018-12-6_10-25-18.png

Checked valves and clutch but no work needed. Noticed faint mark on end of crankshaft where it fits in seal in clutch cover - can't feel anything but maybe a new seal in the cover?

upload_2018-12-6_10-35-46.png

Alternator cover had previously been sprayed with the Simoniz paint and seems to have held up well, so plan to do both clutch and alternator cover again

upload_2018-12-6_10-35-19.png

So out with the spraycans...
    JagLite and rkdwp like this.
  4. Trackster12

Trackster12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'll be watching, I'm working on a 520 EXC street tracker. Your scrambler looks good.
  5. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    So sprayed up the triple clamps, alternator and clutch covers with the Simoniz Tough Paint - no special prep, just clean with soapy water, very light sand with 1200 wet & dry and block up holes and cover surfaces with masking tape
    upload_2018-12-8_7-57-32.png

Before

upload_2018-12-8_7-53-54.png

After.... might need to buff up the letters a bit more - seems to have highlighted to pock marks on the case, although looks worse in photo than real life

upload_2018-12-8_8-42-11.png
    shinyribs and JimVonBaden like this.
  6. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun build. What are you going to do to promote airflow to radiators with out the tank shrouds?
  7. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I 'v had good luck with JB weld to fill small divots and crappy welds before painting.

Excellent sanding / shaping , mixes up quick and easy in small amounts, cheap and stores well.

There will be those who dislike the filler...but it has worked for me over the years.
  8. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m doing exactly the same thing with a 2005 Husqvarna TE250!

I also have those two bikes as inspiration and I’ve seen the white one in the flesh in a dealer in Bristol too.

I’m now at the tank stage, which one have you got on there please?
  9. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interest, comments & tips.... in response.....

a) Hadn't thought about the shrouds/airflow. To be honest, one of the issues is the way the rads stick out so I'm pretty sure they will have plenty of cooling ability

b) Thanks - might give the JB weld a go on another cover I have then respray

c) Dan's bike was on show at the Excel bike show in London last year so I got to take lots of pics - I think he had it on sale on ebay over the summer! The tank I went with was an chinese ebay one for a Suzuki GN125. I've made a rough bracket which bolts into the top of the main spar and has two rubber grommets which the tank slots into.

The main problem with this build is getting the tank far enough forward due to the radiators.... and I'm not sure there is much that can be done about that - I've played around a lot with various combinations.
  10. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Take a 4" angle grinder followed by a TIG to the tank.
    villageidiot likes this.
  11. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I have seen those for little money so will start there. I think just finding a shorter tank is the key to the rad to seat spacing issue?
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    id be cutting the tank and sliding it forward to get the nose of the tank where it needs to be then welding in corner pieces that clear the radiator.
    FR700 likes this.
  13. floydstar

floydstar n00b

Oddometer:
    hondabtr likes this.
  14. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    With regard to the tank - unfortunately I've not got the skills/ mates (or cash!) to think about modifying a tank (I know this was an issue for Dan) so wanted to go with something off the shelf.

Had the front forks lowered by about 30mm by InChains (Ringwood) and will probably do something to the rear shock to match up the geometry.

upload_2018-12-10_19-43-38.png

There will be lots of fiddling with the wiring etc at the headstock so started to see how that might pan out. Got a headlamp for £35 from Alchemy Parts in UK and made bracket to fit it to lower triple clamp.

upload_2018-12-10_19-45-33.png

Need to decide how to mount the speedo - I had an old Vapor which I planned to use and initially thought of mounting it on a bracket with an ignition switch on top of the handlebars

upload_2018-12-10_19-51-11.png

Thusly

upload_2018-12-10_21-13-9.png

But will also try attaching to the triple clamps using a different bracket and see what that looks like.
  15. ghostridergary

Oddometer:
    So made up an alternative bracket to fix on the triples (rather than the bars), with the indicator bracket and modified the original bracket for the wiring connectors - gonna be fun tidying that up and making it look decent!

upload_2018-12-13_11-55-36.png
    Indicators are mini-LED ones

upload_2018-12-13_11-56-6.png
    Then headlamp fixed

upload_2018-12-13_11-56-29.png
    Think I'll probably go with this, although might need some sort of shroud to hide the rats nest of wiring!
    invisa-bill likes this.