Ktm freeride brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by lauris47, Oct 19, 2019.

1. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, as many complains about KTM freeride brakes I do too.
    (valid for ktm 85, 250, 350? E-xc and whatever else is using these "bicycle" brakes)

I have ktm E-XC freeride with Formula brakes.
    I bought 4 new metal pistons as the originals in the brake are from plastic.

After I changed those, I felt only slight increase in braking - they were more sharp.

After few days of driving, brakes overheated and stopped working.

I noticed that the brake fluid had some white crystal particles - I released that when I bled the brakes two fluids shouldn't have been mixed. Originally there should have been Dot 4 and I added Dot 5.1 which according to charts are mixable. So good lesson, always drain the old fluid, as you don't know if previous owner did things according to the manual.

I ordered new master piston for Formula brakes to replace old rubber washer (40€...) as I suspect that went bad from over pressure.
    (I suspect that crystal particles jammed fluid return chamber, fluid got trapped in the line, hence brakes overpreasured and overheated)

I also ordered two sets of brake master levers. As I plan to do that upgrade as well.

I realized that all common brakes are using m10 Banjo bolt and lines, while Formula brakes use m8. Simplest option would be to get some sort of reducer that when fit to the brake master accepts standard Formula m8 bolt. And that's where I am stuck. I spend 4 hours looking for such adapter, without luck.

If anyone knows where to get such bolt, please let me know. Any other options and suggestions are also appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update I manage to fix the brake. I replaced master piston, but at the time it seemed that it did not solve the issue.
    Then I did combination of two things, drilled secondary holes into banjo bolts and replaced rubber washers to copper.
    This made my brakes work again!

However they are still crap, so I will replace the master cylinders when I get them. I decided to modify original brake lines by attaching regular 10mm banjo ends as I cannot find simple adapter, that could convert m10 to m8 banjo bolt.