KTM Freeride e as an enduro bike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Anders J., Apr 26, 2019.

1. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Two months ago I bought a used -17 KTM Freeride e and since then I´ve driven it totally 10 hours on my local enduro track (technical track with lots of rocks and treeroots). I also have a KTM 350 exc -18, but that bike has been parked since I bought the Freeride.

Here´s a short summary after two months:
    - The Freeride e is extremely fun and easy to ride
    - Difficult passages (like steep and rocky terrain) is easier to pass than on the 350
    - I do faster laps on the Freeride e
    - Suspension is not so good. I have changed springs, but it still doesn´t come close to the 350
    - Brakes are not at all as good as the Brembos on the 350, but rear brake on the left side of the handlebar makes it easy to use
    - Original battery (2,6 kWh) lasts about 50 minutes to 1 hour on my home track (slow but technical), shorter in sand
    - I´ve bought an extra battery (3,9 kWh) and with that I can ride 1:45 at medium training pace

I´m an old guy (63), have short legs and I´m not very fast, so for me the Freeride e is perfect. I will be back with more info as I learn to live with an e-bike (and maybe done some races with it).

Freeride_2_batterier.PNG
    Freeride with "fuel" for 2,5 - 3 hours. The rider will be flat before the batteries are...
  2. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So cool!

Look forward to seeing more updates.

Electric power is addicting..
  3. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Video from Sunday 28:th of April (part of our home track):
  4. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it really as noisy as it sounds in the video? That alone would have me looking elsewhere.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  5. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    You can hear it, but it´s certainly not as noisy as it sounds in the video. An ordinary enduro bike (four stroke or two stroke) is much noisier.
    Bucho likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Something about the video makes it seem louder than it is.

While I don't have personal experience with the KTM Ebike, my son has an OSET 20 and another buddy has an EM trials bike. Both sound much louder than they are on helmet cam footage. (not sure why?) While they do make noise in real life, it fairly quiet. People probably do over exaggerate and say they are "silent". I think this is more they are silent compared to any gas bike.
  7. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    That sound effect is not the best selling feature -- as much as I'm all for electric dirtbikes and really want one. It just lacks a satisfying something -- sounding more like a raccoon fight than a trail sesh.

If KTM could make them sound like a 950SE, even a bit quieter, they'd do well.
    mtwillyman and GSingWI like this.
  8. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should be standard issue with all of these bikes:

[​IMG]

M
    Dale402, roookie1, Scubawerx and 2 others like this.
  9. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While that sound in and of itself at that level of prominence is remarkably unpleasant, lol.... :)

..... to hazard a guess, the cameras are all using some sort of "auto" recording level function, which would normalize the recorded level of the two different bikes which are - in reality - dramatically different in actual volume. Setting up a side by side test with a manual record level setting wouldn't be that hard. Tire/terrain noise on that track seems louder than I am used to hearing on gasser bike videos, wind noise is pretty brutal, but that could just have been heavy wind, or the mic pointed directly into the wind, etc, etc.

Also, and while I am showing my nerd, there's a pretty good chance that the pitch of the electric drivetrain falls in a range to which the tiny action cam/cell phone mics are particularly sensitive. But that's just a hunch, fwiw.
    Dino de Laurentiis and Bucho like this.
  10. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my electric bike the sound on a gopro is dominated by the tire rumble and while the tires aren't particularly quiet, people don't hear them until I'm right on them

The gopro is on the handle bars and so some might be transmitted through the frame but it's likely the gopro is jacking up the dynamic range and the tire rumble is all it hears and so emphasizes it in a way that is entirely unrepresented by how the bike sounds even 10-20m away

BTW - I wouldn't consider trading the relative silence of my machine for the internal combustion noise of even my "best sounding" motos... perhaps it's an [easily] acquired taste...

I do have a speaker on the handlebars and can play hardley sounds at the street crossings
    wheresbaoskee and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  11. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    That's a great ebike idea, bar speakers. I'd play my favourite Winston Churchill speeches and standup comedians. That way, people who are around you at red lights get a little education or entertainment, instead of annoyed.

It's a funny thing being an environmentalist and an SE owner. Honestly my bike smells like a poorly maintained oil refinery, even when not running. The PO removed all the smog gear. He also put on FMF pipes and ran them without dB killers. I put them in within a day of taking delivery... they made the bike slightly reasonable. But man, it emits.

Here in Toronto, when I pull up to a red, all shrouded in fumes, fans blazing away, big MotoZ knobs tripping old ladies crossing in front of me, and that aggressive orange vibe the SE literally spills out... I get looks of scorn from people, as well as admiration.

I agree with the scornful ones that my bike's an environmental abomination, but I have an addiction I need to service. I am imperfect. Sometimes, I kill the motor at long lights, and the silence is more deafening than the punk jam I was emitting beforehand.

So yeah, I am dying to get me an ebike -- if only to save odo count on my SE.
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  12. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Good idea! I have to put some flaps like this on the bike the next time i go to the track - so people can hear me when I want to pass them :-)

MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  13. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget the sound....that looks like a workout, I couldn't have kept up with you on my 1190
  14. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus

Oddometer:
    I was just looking for up-to-date info on this bike (in the USA). It looks like there is a road legal version in Europe but not here. Is that still true?
  15. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Yes, it’s road legal here in Europe.
  16. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    US hasn't figured out how to TAX the heck out of it yet!
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  17. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Suspension upgrade!
    After ~ 35 hours on my Freeride e I have upgraded it with Öhlins suspension front and rear. Looking forward to testing it on the track!

ohlins_1.PNG ohlins_2.PNG ohlins_3.PNG
    chainslap and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  18. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn! Did you rob a bank?

M
  19. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    No, but my bank account took a beating :-)

A
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  20. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    "Ready to Race" on Sunday the 13th of October. Wish me luck!

344.PNG