KTM Front Brake Switch Engagement

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TipsyMcStagger, Apr 24, 2018.

1. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just installed the OE front brake micro switch on my XC-W. All of the front brake perch part numbers are common between the XC-W and EXC.

As you can see in the picture, the brake lever comes nowhere near engaging the switch. Even with the lever adjusted fully away from the bar (which would be too far for me to reach comfortably), there is still air between the lever and the switch. Obviously, applying the front brake pulls the lever further from the switch.

I know I can use a hydraulic banjo switch but I already bought this OE switch and I wonder if there's an adjustment I'm over looking?

The picture below is the brake lever at rest.

TIA.

Front Brake Switch.jpg
  2. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    It looks like a part of the "paddle" actuating the microswitch has snapped off from the brake lever itself.

Cheers,

Tseta
  3. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! This is a new to me bike so with no basis for comparison, that's quite possibly what's happened.

Thanks very much.

EDIT: Looking at a random web pic of the same part number, it doesn't appear to that anything has broken off this lever.

77713002000.jpg
  4. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use JB weld to build that little section up, had to on all of them I've installed.
  5. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2260.JPG Like this, but when it's cleaner!
  6. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...that's definitely one way to skin this cat. But I simply can' t understand why the stock components aren't playing well together?

With the addition of this switch, all of the brake component part numbers are exactly the same as the EXC, which came from the factory with a front brake switch.

Thanks for the feedback.
  7. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, I don't understand it either, it was the same on my 05 450 EXC and a 10 250 xcfw etc. but the JB weld does work, I use tape for a form and fill with JB.
    I'm going to look at a new bike next time I'm at the bike shop and see what's up.
  8. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Got it figured out. I took a closer look at the fiche to make sure all of the part numbers are the same between the XCW and EXC (they are) and noticed a note "without spring" for the EXC.

Spring removed. Lever engages switch.

Spring.jpg
    scot_douglas likes this.