KTM Gigolo - London to Mumbai

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jason9364, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us along for the ride Jason. It has been epic.

As usual you raise the bar for what a RR can be. Your narrative and ability to make the reader "feel" your journey is second to none.

If we ever meet, milk is on me :-)

NB. The RR would be easier to read if you broke it up in more posts.

PS. You should have left the extra set of tires at home - Tractionator GPS last forever.

PPS. I'm flabbergasted that you haven't dragged the Bitch out behind the barn and taking her out of her misery long ago.
  2. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Just amazing on every level - thanks.
  3. Bademeister02

Bademeister02 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can only join the chorus! Thank you for taking us with you. Amazing read, pictures and of course the tour itself!

Two final questions:

- How did you convince all these people to be ok with you taking these amazing portrait pictures of them? From your pictures and the story as a whole i conclude that you are a rather communicative guy so i guess talking was the key^^ But how did you approach them? I would always be afraid to give them a feeling of "rich western guy comes and wants to take a pic of my poverty". Thats why i mostly refrain from taking pictures like this when i am travelling (except local people ask if i could take a picture with them). Not criticizing, only curious how you are communicating this!
    - What happend to the bitch? Is she in recreation (aka "mechanic hospital") ever since and what is/was the diagnosis? Are you (overall) satisfied with her performance? I cant remember reading about major breakdowns in your report so was there no real breakdown or did you just not tell^^ Asking because i am generally very amazed with the reliability of my old 950 ADV during my travels and want to know how a younger KTM is holding up in comparison!

Thanks in advance for your answers and thumbs up for your report!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  4. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Awesome job!! Cant say enough. Just amazing. :thumb
  5. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for sharing this adventure! Your way of story telling was short and to the point but really kept me interested and made me laugh.

Despite the mass of amazing picture this one was most eye opening for me. A 'simple enough' photo of a short road through a tiny village but you never see the sky, the mountains just completely overtake the background!
  6. jason9364

jason9364 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the comments - I really do appreciate you all spending the time to read and comment on this from amongst all the good ride reports on here. I hope I can meet up with some of you one day in a land far away .. or Southampton..

The portraits.. It's a difficult one to answer.. how can you tell what it is you're doing that makes them agree to be photographed? I do approach them and smile.. lots of smiling .. and most of these are done with the phone which allows me to maintain eye contact much better. I really think the essence is confidence as you say.. and speed. You have to catch the expression before they can settle and try to present you with a face they want to show. I will only take 2/3 pictures very quickly and if I don't get the shot then the moment has gone by then. I do have problems with the 'rich westerner' thing I agree. I'm not rich by any means, I just live ery frugally and spend all my money on travelling. Rich sometimes comes with an attitude though, and I make a point never to look down on people, never treat them like subortinates, treat them like equals, always ask and be polite, always shake their hands, and always say thanks I think that contact is another good way of putting them at ease with you. Practice .. just practice

The Bitch .. the bitch has been in the cold damp and wet local hospital (my garage) and has had a fuel pump transplant, a LOT of plastic surgery and a bag full of expensive special screws, fasteners and gromits thown at her. The ungrateful cow still ran like she was chewing gravel so I drained the tank completely, put a gallon of 97 + a whole bottle of Redex in and let her idle for 30 minutes. Now she runs like an a horny adolecent enroute to an orgy ...
    jlambo, Ducky 149, thirsty 1 and 14 others like this.
  7. RudgeRider

RudgeRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jason, you always manage to put a smile on my face with your posts.
  8. jason9364

Oddometer:
    Always glad to help:) I like smiling ...
  9. James59

James59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am just back from China. I found it very frustrating at times, spoke to a Belgian Biker in Beijing and he had similar experiences to you. It was great but annoying. Great work by you. I am impressed, I never made it to Kailash..
    Well done and a great achievement.
  10. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn nice RR, the writing is always good but the Indian part is at another level (and sometimes dark, but in a good way)
    James59 likes this.
  11. James59

James59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was in Mumbai in February this year. I wondered what the f*** I was doing there at first, ended up loving it.
  12. Dickyb

Dickyb Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had to read it half a dozen times. Mesmerising. May I ask what camera gear you are using? You mentioned a phone a couple of posts back. Anything else? Off to seek out your other RR's to help get me through a Hungarian winter.

Cheers,

DickyB
    James59 likes this.
  13. jason9364

Oddometer:

Cheers Dicky:)

This time I took a cheap Lunix FX82 that is basically disposable. I think I payed about £250, and my old IPhone7. I have Lightroom on the phone to roughly edit them as I go. I really am a great believer that you can take good pictures with anything nowdays - and TBH I don't really like super shiny processed to shit 'whooppppss I left my finger on the saturation button' pictures anyway.. I like imperfections in them .. like women:) Look at Michelle Pfeiffer's top lip for example - there is something a little bit 'off' about it .. but that makes her all the more attractive to me. A bit out of focus or wonky or whatever never bothers me - whatever decisions my brain makes to decide it likes a picture is happy with that ..

If you really wish the Hungarian winter to be over ASAP.. you can point your eyes at my overlander.bike blogsite .. and then wish you'd never asked:)
    thirsty 1 and TheBritAbroad like this.
  14. Dickyb

Dickyb Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Jason. Concur with the over the top processing malarky. Cheers for the link to your website too. Don't actually mind the Hungarian winters apart from it getting dark around 1600hrs. :-(

All the best,

Dicky
  15. Bademeister02

Bademeister02 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for giving me another nice giggle at the end! Good lord that bitch comment^^

I thought that it would be hard to explain how you got all these nice pics. But wanted to ask anyway! I guess everyone has to find their own way in interacting with locals while the language barrier is up, but putting a big smile on your face helps (in my experience) most of the time! Thanks for trying to explain nonetheless and keep up the good work. Its srsly astonishing that your thread only got 4 pages, if you ask me. Cheers from Berlin!
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  16. cBJr

cBJr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably right. I went to a charity event in central Kentucky this year that really opened my eyes to sex trafficking in that area. They run a home in Lucknow that gives women that have gotten out a place to stay and work towards a better life.
    http://www.mission108.com/india
    td63 likes this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! You did a great job of conveying the emotions and struggles all the way. Thanks!
  18. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, very entertaining. The portraits are amazing, haunting in some instances. Well done, and thanks!