KTM/Husky/GasGas TPI Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lager Meister, Mar 31, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The screen can be bought at walmart in the housewares dept really cheap, they're a drain strainer, surprisingly it's the exact same part.
  2. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've heard various methods for engine break in, A couple of tanks of ga,
    Do you know what the difference is?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TC2 is smaller, more like the PowerCore2. The 2.1 is longer, similar to the stock TPI silencer. I can only speculate as to any performance differences - never seen any dyno comparisons. But the 2.1 does seem a bit quieter though.
  4. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your retirement RF!
    You've sure earned it!!
    RideFreak likes this.
  5. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    No issue, maybe shine a propane torch over the screen every 70 hours or so
    N8 likes this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You're right, it's got a deeper sound then the 2.0, prob because of the additional packing and it's larger diameter. I've been waiting on them to become available.

I ride with guys that have both and side by side the difference is pretty noticeable. It's larger size means it's exposed a bit more to get dinged up. I find it similar to the stock silencer which I like allot except for the lack of a SA. Out in the desert we can hear a 4T three or four hills away (1/4~1/2 mi). The 2T better be in the same canyon or you won't hear it at all, quite the difference from the noise of a 4T
  7. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I just ordered the end cap from slaven. I'll deal with cleaning it when needed.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    That's what I use
    RideFreak likes this.
  9. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a '21 150i, and my father has a '21 250i. We both run end cap style spark arrestors. I was running the moose racing, and he is running the EE unit. On slower, technical rides where the bike rarely gets wound up, they get gunked up pretty quick. On more wide open trails, they stay pretty clean. On my 150, it has messed with how the bike runs in the lower rev range, it acts like it doesn't want to pull easily like it did with the stock can, and isn't as smooth as stock. Midrange and up it felt fine. I've since replaced it with a Turbinecore 2.1, and now it runs like it did when stock. On my father's 250, he says it feels ok, but it doesn't pull smoothly anymore when getting on the throttle hard. He's now looking for a FMF as well. Figured I'd share our experiences, YMMV of course, it seems some have zero trouble with them, maybe it's due to mapping differences.
  10. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden an offroad bike that had big bucks thrown at suspension, so I don't know what the state of the art feels like... but for what it's worth I am thoroughly impressed with this 2022 TE250 suspension for the slower stuff. Even my dodgy lines and shitty technique are not fazing it. The whole package feels like a no-compromises, luxury toy that weighs nothing and has a dainty, pinkie-operable clutch. Lovely 2nd gear off-idle grunt. It really is a treat.

My closest point of comparison is a 2018 EXC500, which is more brutal and harsh in every respect, and less pleasant to ride. All in all, really glad to have had a chance to experience the TE.

upload_2021-10-17_15-21-34.jpeg
  11. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is my 2019 XCW TPI.
    I bought the KTM Power Parts silencer at the dealership when I bought the bike.
    The guy at the parts counter was unpacking it and I told him to put it back in the box.
    It's not marked as a 2.1, it is a 2.1.
    It's quiet.
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I just checked, that silencer is shown in KTMs catalog as a FMF Turbinecore 2.1 (55505979004)

I just ordered one from Munn through KTMT, $203, $35 cheaper then RMATV but there's shipping from Chip.
  13. Grayjet

Grayjet Ride on!

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler, welcome to the joy of the 300 tpi! I ‘know’ you from the 501 thread. I, too, have an FE501 and really love it, but nothing I have ridden compares to this 300 in the tight stuff. Also like you, my 300 is my first 2T bike. It is noticeably lighter and more nimble than my 501, and makes me look like a better rider than I am. I do a lot of tight woods riding here on the east coast, and the 300 truly shines in those conditions. I rode my 300 in Moab for a week, where it handled the technical trails really well, but once I got it on the highway or fast, open fire roads, the 300 was fairly limited. My engine is stock with stock gearing, and anything over 55 made it feel like it was going to explode. The 501 is the better machine for that type of riding, in my opinion. From your photos over on the 501 thread, it looks like you do a lot of open desert type dual sport riding. I definitely prefer my 501 for that stuff. The 300 is tailor made for tight, technical single track.

Other really nice things about the 300 compared to the 501:
    The engine is much less ‘vibey’
    The stock seat is far more comfortable
    You don’t need $1,000 of ECU/fuel management mods to make it run right

The 501 and the 300 are the perfect pair of bikes to own. I actually sold the rest of my bikes (except my 990, of course; that bike rocks in a whole different way!). Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the 300 once you have logged some hours on it.

Cheers,
    Lance
    ridemtra and Emgo like this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks chief. I know the 501 will definitely see a lot of good times in the desert. 2 main reasons for the 300 in my stable. 1st after my traveling this summer I found that the 501 will kick my butt in the mountains. I was both proud of the bike and myself thanks to her. She took me way beyond my expectations of my ability. From my reading the 300 should solve this so I can enjoy even more. I have Idaho in my sights for next year. So I'm sure the 300 will get a workout. 2nd. I wanted another bike and what better than the 300.
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    So this muffler doesn't have a screen?
  16. trikepilot

trikepilot Gettin' by... Supporter

Oddometer:
    100% in agreement ... except i sold the 501 in the great bike reshuffle a few years back. Maybe i should have held onto it.

Was out on the 300 yesterday roughing in new trail and it never ceases to amaze me what a perfect package the 300 is for tight appalachian woods riding
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  17. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:

No, the Turbinecore series uses a centrifugal type arrestor. Basically there's a piece in the center of the muffler bore, that has little angled fins on it, and has the exhaust gases pass through it, the gasses accelerate and swirl, extinguishing any sparks. If you search online for "inside Turbinecore" you'll find some pictures of them taken apart.
    RideFreak and Snake Oiler like this.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Another question. Don't mind me. I like to know what others think and have done in the past. I'm a fan of IMS tanks, but at nearly twice the price of the acerbic I believe I'll go with the acerbic this time. So on their 3.1 gal tank will the stock fittings work or are different ones needed?
  19. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Search @RideFreak posts in this thread for IMS vs Acerbis info...I remember the IMS sucking on these TPI's.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The iMS for the TPI was garbage as far as I'm concerned, they may have fixed some of the issues since I got bought mine but the tank I got required that you replace the oil fill with this tiny filler and dispite that, the tank still hit the ecu connector in the rear and the oil tank in the front when the tank was mounted, let me add that I also had to pull the front staples on the seat and trim the plastic back for the seat to fit. What a piece of shit, it's by far the worst product I've bought for a motorcycle that was supposed to be designed for a specific model. The quality of the IMS wasn't close to what you'd expect for the price and I've had Clarke, IMS, Safari and Acerbis tanks so I've pretty much run them all at one time or another. The Acerbis fits like a stock tank as it's supposed to. I've had 4 acerbis tanks so far with zero complaints. I should have waited for the Acerbis. The IMS was such a POS that I couldn't sell it to anyone and still sleep at night, I threw it in the garbage, it was an expensive lesson.

[​IMG]

Not even a relief for the oil fill, cheap bastards. They didn't update the design for the TPI choosing instead to make the tank from the carb'd version of the 300s sorta work. [​IMG]

I won't make that mistake again.
    [​IMG]

If it sounds like I'm dumping on them I am, at the time I tried to contact them via email (the only way at the time). 4 weeks later they reached back out to me. By that time I was totally pissed and done with them. If they haven't updated it since then I'd be shocked, that POS should have never been offered for sale.