KTM/Husky TPI Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lager Meister, Mar 31, 2018.

1. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yard that Fischmoto insert ASAP. My 300 ran like absolute garbage with it. Lots of sputtering through the mid range, reluctance to read through it, and I even noticed some spooge out of the endcap. Once I removed the insert, everything was fine. Went with the FMF 2.1.
    ChasM likes this.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It doesn't tell you if you're lean or rich but there's some good info there regardless. I'm not entirely sure how to interpet some the data yet IRT the CCPS but it tells you allot, RPM being one of them. The CCP does affect what you're describing, unfortunately that's a hard nut to crack.

The adapter is available from these guys, I bought one but it didn't work, i haven't tore it apart to figure out why yet.
    https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike...OBD2-Motorbike-Adaptors/KTM-6pin-OBD2-Adaptor

You can buy the KTM diagnostic connector from cycle terminal, Oldbear shared the wiring in this thread.
    I purchased a std OBD connector to plug into the the bluetooth dongle. The dongle is the ELM327 BT

The software is the upgraded (paid) version of the Torque App.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog and RoboD like this.
  3. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FMF makes more than one muffler for this bike. What one does he have? The turbinecore 2.1 I put on my bike is absolutely not noticeably louder than the stock muffler. The TurbineCore 2 would be.
    thejrod likes this.
  4. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI I installed an Acerbis 3.1gal. tank on my 2020 Husqvarna TE300i yesterday. It fit good and is made well. Only one problem. I had to reroute my fuel pick up so the fuel line wouldn’t hit a molded ridge in the tank.
  5. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there anything out there that can tell me if I'm lean or rich? Do I pretty much have to find a dyno/tune shop?
  6. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have a tuner, right? Go a couple settings richer, see if the condition improves or worsens. That'll tell you.
  7. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might be on to something. Of course, after I buy it from the dealer(that's really far away), I see this on Fisch Moto's website : At this time we do not recommend our spark arrestor for new TPI bikes as their fueling system is inconsistent. A new model is in development/testing.

Terrific. Guess I should've checked their site first. I wonder why it causes issues, when the end-cap types seem to work ok? Aggravating. Pulling it out this afternoon, and I'll decide what to do over the next few days. I guess I'll just make the long trip to the dealer and swap it out.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it doesn't work like a carb in that regard, the TPI system uses the CCP sensor to determine engine load up to a certain RPM (I don't know what the RPM) beyond that point the fueling is determined by TPS position and RPM and richening or leaning is pretty conventional. At lower RPMs and steady rpms up to a certain point the CCP sensor's output is a factor in the fueling. Adding fuel or leaning it out has almost zero effect on the studder. Like temp, and altitude the CCP signal causes an offset to the fuel map. Someone I know with the issue has a JD tuner installed, he had it long before the bike started stuttering, pulled the tuner off and it had no effect , nor did replacing the CCP. The CCP has a zero to 5V range and the pressure it's reading in the crankcase goes from a negative to positive, because of that the ECU only samples CCP at a certain crank position so monitoring it with anything less than an O scope is a waste of time, the signal is all over the place. When that part of the system is acting up the engine leans out when you let off the gas and when running a steady rpms. As the TPIs come from the factory the motor is right on the verge of this condition, there no shortage of bone stock TPIs with this issue. I've got some ideas on possible solutions to fix this but I need to test it out. If it works it may be an easy fix for everyone with this issue but I'm covered up with work so it'll probably be awhile before I can dig into it.
  9. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect it just chokes up the pipe too much - the ring reduces the ID of the outlet by a fair amount, when you consider area/flow. And it's not that the TPI is "inconsistent" as they indicate, but that it's very consistent - the TPI system cannot compensate for an increase in back pressure. The replacement endcaps probably work better because they have a large enough outlet that they don't reduce flow and increase back pressure.
    novaks47 likes this.
  10. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, their "inconsistent" remark didn't make sense to me. I think you're right, it's a difference of diameter. I'm still amazed such a small change can hurt the bike so much, but I guess 2-stroke exhausts are just more sensitive to changes than the 4-strokes I'm used to. At least I'm not the only one that walked out with a bum spark arrestor. My father bought the Fastway end-cap while we were picking up our bikes, and his came with the wrong screen, it's way too small to fit the end-cap, lmao! I guess someone at Fastway tossed in a screen for a different cap/bike.
  11. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir - you've summed up about 2 months of reading and a solid 8 hours of tweaking the ECU/Fuel and Timing map along with the air screw. My next step is to take this thing to a professional tuner in Kirkland....what's odd, is I barely experience it at all in the performance map and I felt like I got close to a map/air screw combination that almost made it negligible for the soft/traction map but then I lost the setting somehow...(Not fond of the GET ECU interface as they obviously need to have someone with debugging experience look at that deal). The performance map I rec'd from TacoMoto makes it scream...love it...just that soft map still has a spot at low RPM's (when the CPU is considering the CCP data) that makes me cringe and has thrown me into a full wheelie on a couple hill climbs that put me in a bit more danger than I bargained for.

Edit: RideFreak - If you want someone to help experiment - let me know. I'm not the most knowledgeable wrench turner, but I can engage TrueNorth Motos or others as necessary when it gets over my head. I haven't done the idle screw deal for mine, was thinking of doing that as well so that I am adjusting true idle instead of just letting air by the butterfly in the bypass.
  12. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Borrowed the girly friends brandy new TE150i for a day in the desert. I thought it would kind of suck being a soft TE but it was a blast. It was soft but much better than I thought it would be! We have decided it will be called the giggle machine.

Anatoli, Bitingdog, SthrnRomr and 4 others like this.
  13. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bit of air at a decent speed...fun...
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of testing some different ranges of potentiometers on the CCP signal, the pot would allow adjusting the resistance value with a screwdriver to see if tweaking the signal one direction or another makes a difference. If successful and there's a resistance value that improves it, I'd make up a short section of CCP harness with a female and male connectors at the ends and a resistor installed in series. That way it's plug and play and I can easily reverse it. It's similar in theory to other tweaks you can buy to fool a fuel injection system. Since mine developed after a remap I'll try getting the map changed first and that'd be a winter project for me.
    Bitingdog, Nathan_66 and RoboD like this.
  15. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I’m sorta ignorant in these things, but what exactly is the point of the CCP sensor? Is crank case pressure indicative of engine load? If so, is the ECU using it as a supplemental input for fueling, in addition to TPS and RPM? Curious to see how a static signal affects how it runs.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Yes, The CCP is used as an input to help determine the engine load (in the lower RPMs).
    The signal wouldn't be static at all, what I described would offset the signal. The CCP output would still modulate. What I described would push it a little in one direction (or another).

At steady throttle the load goes way down, the CCP senses that load and the ECU takes that value as one of the inputs to adjust the mixture leaner (or richer). Since there's stock bikes that develop the same issue I suspect it's ether very sensitive circuit or they're delivered being on the verge of lean out of the crate (at steady throttle).
  17. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure. It has a spark arrestor. Maybe it's the two then. It's a lot louder than stock..
  18. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep -- I asked for it, and it's definitely over my head...makes sense though...what would also make good sense is if the CPU would just interpret the data correctly in the first place. This would explain why when I get on it quickly (producing a load quickly) that the bike responds better. If we could trick it into thinking there is just a touch more load than there is, maybe the issue goes away....and that's what your doodad should do....wish I had the no-how to create such a thing. Send me one (hell I'd pay you to test it for you) and I'll test the shit out of it though :)
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading about the problems people are having at low rpm and the function of the CCP I get the feeling it may be differences in the CCP tolerances. I feel RF’s idea of adjustable potentiometer is good. I don’t think we can come up with a resistance that will work for everyone because everyone’s CCPs are slightly different.
    RoboD likes this.
  20. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well - I pulled and checked the tube between the crank case and the crank case sensor (apparently there are 2 sensors per the OEM diagram) - I was able to blow air through it with ease, so I don't think the tube is clogged. That's going to be a pain to get back on! Pulling the fitting in the crank case will be the next check (my understanding is that the fitting can become clogged)...seemed like it might take me 15 minutes just to get a socket on it unless I pull the pipe...have to get back to work so will probably pull the pipe over the weekend. Anything about pulling the pipe I should know? I'm ordering new o-rings and springs just in case. I'm considering ordering new CCP sensors just to have them but I haven't done the test (pull the tube, plug the fitting) to see if there is any difference...