KTM/Husky TPI Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lager Meister, Mar 31, 2018.

1. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the hi map is fine, but the low map is giving you issues, then the CCP is not the issue. You're better off adjusting the midrange fuel settings on your GET for the low map - go a few settings richer, ride it. If it's better, great. If it's worse, go a few settings leaner.
  2. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I agree with the basis of your analysis - I did this already (adjusted low to mid-range fueling on soft map). The performance map doesn't quite behave right if I ride/lug it through single track (as I would expect - feels like it is loading up a little). I wasn't able to affect the soft map issue a whole lot by taking away or adding fuel or degrees of timing. I did get it to smooth out a little (not sure if that was my imagination) once but then I kept going in that direction and it got worse......whether it was end user error or a bug with the way GET detects my bike on the dongle vs when it's running, I lost the damn setting(s) where it was just a touch less of a surge in the soft map. So - bottom line - either I am incompetent at tuning with the GET software (likely), or there is something else wrong somewhere.
    number9 likes this.
  3. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing special to know. Pull springs off, 1 bolt and pull pipe out. Reverse for install
    RoboD likes this.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Anytime I pull the pipe I seal the pipe with RTV in addition to the orings, it doesn't last forever but it'll help keep water out of the motor when you wash it. I usually have the pipe off for one reason or another every few months so it gets redone periodically.

I would imagine cleaning the sensor itself is pretty delicate work, you wouldn't want to affect it's sensitivity. I'm going to try and clean my sensor tube out also. The bottom end of the TPI is pretty oily, look at a reed valve that's been removed on a TPI, it's covered in 2t oil. I've not had the jug off one but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a decent amount of 2T oil covering everything around the crank, makes me wonder if it can get gooped to the point where it affects the flow into the CCP sensor tube. That would make sense for erratic running some riders are seeing.
    Bitingdog and RoboD like this.
  5. RoboD

RoboD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode when I was a lad...broke a few bones, did some high flying when I had no business doing it (all guts and no brains). Not that I've changed a tremendous amount since I was 18 but I'm in my late 40's now and this is my first bike since then. I haven't had the jug off any bike...:) I have however rebuilt a stroker Chevy engine with a little help from my father's friend (racing mechanic) and I turned a wrench in the Navy. What will probably happen is I'll get in over my head and have to pay a real dude (twice as much) that knows what he is doing to bail me out but you don't learn if you don't try, right?
  6. blueillusion10

blueillusion10 goodtimesgreatoddies

Oddometer:
    So after some back and forth with someone at JD they seemed reluctant to say their tuner would fix the problem. They did say if all the sensors are functioning properly and things like the air screw and rpm were set properly the tuner might fix it. Makes sense on their end. So I’m left with rolling the dice on a very expensive GET ecu/injector relocation plate and hoping that fixes it or burning it. I’m leaning towards burning it.

I haven’t read one bad review on the GET setup. Anyone here running one that had a rough / stutter at steady rpm that was cured with it?
  7. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    seems like ive read some people state the GET has helped the stutter issue (more powerful processing ecu), id personally want to retain injectors in the transfer ports though if you did it
  8. blueillusion10

blueillusion10 goodtimesgreatoddies

Oddometer:
    The only place I can seem to find the GET for my 2020 is from slavens and you can’t buy just the ecu for some reason? Not sure why that’s changed for the 20/21’s?
  9. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    contact TacoMoto, pretty sure he sells it and maps
  10. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strange... even on the Athena website they don't list just an ECU for the 20/21s. Seems you have to do the ECU + Relocation kit.
  11. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One post above yours... @RoboD you have the GET, right?

I must have missed that you were having the issue on both maps. Have you tried unplugging the CCP to see if the condition changes? Does the GET even use the 2nd CCP signal?
  12. SthrnRomr

SthrnRomr Southern Roamer

Oddometer:
    I have the GET on mine and it is fantastic. But, I have a 2019. So YMMV.
  13. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    It is a little mysterious how some TPI bikes run better than others. In general they seem to be sensitive to owner mods, probably because as RF mentioned they come delivered right on the edge of too lean of a mixture. This low range stutter issue is especially frustrating because most of us learned how to fix it fairly easily on carb bikes, but those methods won’t help here. The fact that many dealers are pretty clueless once they take your money is especially frustrating. We are all getting schooled here, and the body of knowledge is growing. Don’t give up, and remember the basics. I have enjoyed many hundreds of hours on the TPI bikes and find them to be extremely durable machines.

Today 78 year old Bruce the Legend led all day on his 2019 KTM 300 EXC TPI. After last night’s thunderstorm, all the puddles were full and the roots way slick. These 4 TPI 300’s all ran perfectly. It didn’t even rain on us. The big smiles say it all.

34F212EC-9447-4D90-B9EF-02D9423C2CC8.jpeg
  14. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike won't start.
    Brand new te150i (white ktm). Collected yesterday. I went for a first ride today. Did about 60kms. Shutted the bike down to fill it up. It started right away.

At home I washed the bike. Did not use any pressure.

After that it sat in the garage a couple of hours and now it doesn't won't to start. It turns over.
    Checked plug : all wet.
    Checked for spark : fired as hell.
    Haven't got a clue.

I wasn't very happy with how the bike ran today. On the throttle it ran just fine. Offroad with constantly changing throttle opeings it ran ok. But with small throttle opening and constant speed it stutters and bogs. It's barely rideable.
    I noticed there was quite a bit of oil in the damper.

My guess is the air screw is too far in causing the bike to run too rich on small throttle openings.

Planning to take ik back to the dealer tomorrow.
    But I haven't got a clue why it doesn't start.
  15. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just asking the obvious, but did you change the plug? Sounds like it’s fouled.
    And what do you mean by oil in the damper?
  16. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil residue at its rear end
    Since it is a brand new bike, I didn't change the plug (haven't got one)
    You could be right. That could point to the air screw right??? Idle too rich?
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @alvincullumyork had a similar issue. The computer needs to be unlocked by the dealer. Apparently there is a limited amount of time the bike can run, for testing or something. Then the computer shuts the bike down.
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.
  18. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's what my dealer told me. He said they accidentally let a few out the door without doing it, and then had to send their guy out to unlock the bikes, lmao. I think he said you get around 5 hours run time before it won't start, could be less though, 5 sounds like a lot to me for an locked bike. Sounds like that's the issue here.

Oil in the damper : he's referring to oil in the muffler/silencer. I've seen it called a damper in other countries.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I think the auto shutdown is after 1 hour of operation. This has happened to many people due to lack of proper dealer prep. If that is the case I would lean on the dealer for some compensation for their negligence.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Lee said it was 1/2 hour or 45 min on his bike before it shut down. Definitely less than 5 hours,
    Bitingdog and alvincullumyork like this.