KTM/Husky/GasGas TPI/TBI Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lager Meister, Mar 31, 2018.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    As others stated dealer gets 45 minutes or an hour of setup time before the bike locks up. My girlfriends locked up when we got back to the trucks. It was a 5 minute fix at the dealer. Someone typed a 3 instead of a 2...
    Bitingdog, novaks47 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  2. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure ran it longer than 1 hour. More like two. My Husky dealer sells about 60 bikes/year so don't think it is still in transport mode.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    It will run until you shut it off. So say it's 45 minutes, you can run it for as long as you have gas past 45 minutes but as soon as you shut it down it won't start up. I think the lady's bike got to 47 minutes.

You should know exactly how long it ran, it has an hour meter...
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I do have the impression he's not a TPI genius. He is a honest guy and a good mechanic, but I believe he should dig deeper into the tpi secrets.

He told me that for the first start, he puts some oil in the gas to richen it up for safety. So my first miles to the gas station I am sure it ran very rich. Maybe that fouled the plug, and afterwards it ran bad because of the fouled plug .

Is there a way to clean up the plug and try again?

I took it out and left it out so the fuel can evaporate overnight.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. thejrod

thejrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah definitely the plug. Put a new on in + fresh gas, and try again.
    Bitingdog and nopper like this.
  6. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, but I am sure I did more than 40 miles including some single track. And I stopped and started again several times. And a 150 isn't very fast. So definitely about 2hr
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And a last question : when checking for a spark I noticed the spark was rather big and orange, not fine and blue like I'm used to.

Does that indicate the plug is bad?
  8. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 701 the dealer unlocked it. When I bought my TE300i my dealer said that they don’t come locked up.
  9. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's a 2021 thing?
  10. thejrod

thejrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're all still locked. I watched my dealer unlock my '21 300. It's part of the "activation" process. Gotta hook them up to the special computer - it also downloads the latest map.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update:

Dealer had no 150 plug on stock . Didn't realise it being different from the 250/300 so had not ordered one yet.
    Cleaned plug, gave the engine a good run without plug. Bike started .
    Reset tps and set idle.
    40kms testrun: still ran like crap. We had the feeling it ran bad the point where the powervalve wants to open but doesn't.
    We started playing with the valve and noticed it was almost completely in. We had to wind it 3 revs out and now the bike is a wasp. It is sooooo alive.
    So it seems the PV is not set right at all.
    Still want to change the plug. The bike doesn't start well when cold
  12. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the 150 PV should sit about flush???
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Due to machining differences, every powervalve is different. No two bikes will have the screw set the same. You need a tach and to watch the valve open and close to set it correctly.
    Bitingdog, RoboD and novaks47 like this.
  14. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But one could expect this being done at the factory right? Mine came setup awfull, and I have to find a way myself to set it up right.

I have found several videos on the subject that say : just set it to your own liking.

Cannot believe anyone would like it the way it came from the factory.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. thejrod

thejrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it’s common to have to tinker with it, and most people just set it by feel.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  16. novaks47

novaks47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It should've been set from the factory, you shouldn't have to mess with it. It being a little off and maybe needing some fine tuning would be one thing, but no way should it be so far off as to barely run. Since it's still running that bad, I say let the dealer and Husqvarna sort it out. My 150i runs great, and starts up easily on the first or second press of the starter button when cold, and I haven't adjusted anything.
    alvincullumyork and Yinzer Moto like this.
  17. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Slavens has a very good video on tuning the dolly. Most people unscrew it all the way to get MAXIMUM HORSE TORQUES!!!! In reality most people unscrew it to far.

Since this is a brand new bike I would make the dealer make it right. like Novaks said.

We've had the same experience with my girlfriends 150. It rips and fueling is spot on so far.
  18. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My hero!
    I have the exact bike just 17 years to go.
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  19. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not do this on my own!!! I did this together with the dealer. He was stunned because it was soo far off.
    But he did not use anything to calibrate it or something. It was just done by feel.

I would love to see more scientific approach, but that guy has been selling huskys and only huskys for years, and earned some rewards for that. But at first he was clueless bout my bike.

And it does not run like crap now. Cold start took two trys. Didn't start without the cold start button out. But started when I pulled it out . I still suspect the plug. It might be dirty still from riding with the valve always closed.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    You dealer should know how to set it. Hook a tach to the bike, like one that picks up off the spark plug wire. Remove the cover from the power valve and there are indicator marks. Rev the bike and watch it open and close, take note of the RPM. Your manual will specify the RPM it needs to be set at. You can tune personal preference from there.