KTM kickstand bead breaker

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by turkish, Sep 19, 2004.

1. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever since I got my 950, I've wanted to take it out into the deep backcountry. But the thought of a flat tire worried me since I kept hearing it was nearly impossible to break the bead on the rear rim without a machine. A couple of people suggested using the kickstand as a bead breaker.

To make a short story even shorter, it works. It's not especially fast, but it'll get the job done.

[​IMG]

1. Find some hard surfaced and level ground. I used my garage floor.
    2. Prevent the centerstand from folding by tying it to the front wheel.
    3. Engage the steering lock. This will make the bike more stable and means you can use the bars as a handgrip when you tilt the bike over.
    4. Extend the kickstand and get the outer edge of the pad as close to the rim as possible.
    5. Shim bottom side of the wheel so that the downward force of the kickstand goes into the tire and doesn't bend the rear brake rotor. I used a mallet, but a piece of wood or a telephone book would work.
    6. Pull the left side of the bike so that the kickstand pushes into the tire. If necessary, move the rim so that the kickstand endplate is a close to the bead as possible.
    7. Walk to the opposite side of the bike and *PUSH* as hard as you can. You should be able to balance the bike on the front wheel and one side of the centerstand with the rest of the weight going through the kickstand.
    8. If you can, wedge something thin between the tire and the rim so that the tire can't snap back into place. I used my tire irons.
    9. Rotate the wheel 90 degrees and repeat the steps again. You'll go once around the wheel this way.

At this point the bead won't be broken, but the tire should have an air gap between it and the rim. Line up the kickstand over your original spot and give the bike a hard shove from the right side. You should hear the bead pop. Rotate, shove, pop. Rotate, shove, pop. Do the whole thing once more on the other side.

With a little practice and two tire irons, you should be able to fix a flat anywhere.

Observant readers will notice that a brand new tire appears in the photograph above. That's because after I got my old worn-out tire off using this method, I pinched the tube putting the new one on and punctured it. So I got a second chance to perfect the bead breaking technique. :doh
  2. Gaserman

Gaserman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said! I've also used this method and it works fine.
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Good description Turk, I got to practice the same thing this weekend funnily enough. I found it also helped to put the wheel up against the wall to stop the bike from pushing it away.

Might also stop the bike from falling if you get a little over enthusiastic
  4. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Neat. I'd never thought of doing the trick with the same bike the wheel came off... good post!
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    And if it's the front tire will the bike stay balanced enough to do this? :ear
  6. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    If you get a front flat, just ride a wheelie (duh!). I mean, does Turkish have to do all the thinking around here?

:lol3
  7. AntWare

Oddometer:
    If you can't break the front bead by hand it might be time to trade down :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike is a little more biased towards the front, so it will tip easier with the front wheel removed. But the bead isn't nearly as tough and you can break it just by standing on the tire.
  9. Lil' Irv

Lil' Irv I can't shuddup

Oddometer:
    I used the kickstand method in McCall and it worked pretty well. I was fortunate that the tire went flat 3 blocks from the motel (nail) and so I rode right up next to the KTM truck under the awning. We used the kickstand on another 950 so didn't have to worry about the bike tipping. From this experience I know that on the trail, alone, changing a tube won't be easy but can be accomplished.
  10. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Nice informative post, turkish! I will get a chance to practice that one, hopefully in my garage in a few thou.
  11. scottabshire

scottabshire IMissMyKTM

Oddometer:
    I know this is probably a dumb question but...
    can you RIDE the 950 with a flat front or rear tire?
    will is mess anything up?
    for how long?
    what kind of pump should I get?
  12. AntWare

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem will be the tyre, especially the rear, spinning on the rim due to the lack of rim locks. This'll usually rip the valve stem out of the tube rendering it irrepairable.
  13. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    no clue i'm screwed if i get a flat:rofl
    but i really like the motorhome. Do you full time in it?
    can you haul the ninefiddy on the back bumper?
  14. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Mended

Oddometer:
    Once the bead is broken from both sides they will be in the center of the rim. Can the rim now be removed from the tire? Or what do you do next? Can the tube be pulled out with the tire still on the rim?

Russ
  15. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Russ... replaced my rear tire today with new skin for the next trip. I pulled out the tube after breaking both sides and then worked the tire over the rim.

It damn sure wasn't a lot of fun but the purpose was for ME to prove to MYSELF that I could do it it I HAD to. I can but I'd damn sure gonna bitch about it. :lol2