KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello collective, I’m very close to sealing a deal on a -99 640 LC4 (non adventure). Not familiar with these so any pros/cons are welcome. if it helps, this one is orange/black with silver rear side fairings and conventional forks.
    View attachment 2036372
    thanks, Al
  2. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just removed the plug from the frame there, and found this guy (same as the one connected to the carb) lying in the bottom of that cavity. Not expected? PO hiding a spare? Supposed to be connected to the pipe coming from the SAS pump?

Wondering what other treasure lies in the frame cavities...
    IMG_20191214_131506.jpg
  3. aceyalone

aceyalone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a filter that is supposed to be connected to the SAS

If the SAS has been removed, get rid off this and buy a cap to hide the hole in the frame (54606004000)
    twqqis likes this.
  4. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's the most logical explanation, thanks
    I found it during SAS removal...
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Page 1 of this thread is an index of LC4 threads - near the top is Creeper's "looking at a used LC4" thread.
    KTM 1190advR likes this.
  6. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use those frame plugs like aceyalone said. You will now have a perfect place to store strips of bacon.
    larryboy likes this.
  7. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon! Now we're talking
    Yeah, I saw the other side is just a plug without a hole and have it added to my next order... Thanks
  8. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    The clutch basket gets notched with lots of use. It fix is to disassemble the clutch(remove the plates) and file/Dremel the worn spots off the fingers so everything slides freely.

You can check the clutch plates for wear at the same time.

But first adjust the clutch play when the engine is hot...right?

bill
  9. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check your wiring folks!
    I found numerous spots like these, some expose copper (red) , some halfway through the plastic (green)

[​IMG]
  10. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thought of this will give me nightmares.
    Is there a way to check/test the thermostat to see how far worn it is? (Since I know not how a thermostat works, I assume it's due to wear)
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  11. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    They dont so much wear out as break. There is a metalic thermo couple(sprng?)i so it opens and close at different temperatures. Hot things expand/cool contracts, right.
    You took science?

You can test yours by removing it and boiling it in a pan with water and observing it open when boiling and then cool and close. More easily buy a therometer and start/ run the engine until the fan kicks on, meaure the tempertureof the coolant. Should be around 180F/80C.

You are good if it runs there.

bill
  12. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I understand that it opens when getting hot.
    I also understand that I can test it by placing in hot water.

Maybe my question not clear; is there a way to test it to see if it is getting nearer the point where it will get stuck?
    Maybe by looking at the temp where it opens, if getting closer to breaking, it'll open at higher and higher temps... (it might be what you're implying)

I'll test mine with a thermometer as you suggested,
    thanks
  13. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Received today the seals that sit around the rear wheel bearings. More like a profiled metal ring, fiche: "seal washer"
    The part no is correct (53610018000 - it is #29)

It is not the same as the one I pulled from my wheel though. Larger OD, and the profile is slightly different.

Don't think this is gonna matter much?
    I don't see how either of these can seal much, apart from how the bush #26 could possible press the seal against the bearings rubber cover...? View attachment 2044434 View attachment 2044435 IMG_20191219_220249.jpg IMG_20191219_220847.jpg
  14. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone and sorry for another and much discussed FCR swap. I was thinking long time about carb update to my 98'AdvR, it's still equipped with Dell'orto and one night saw on local watsapp group one guy selling FCR for 1/3 of "normal" price and bought it without doubts.
    As later find out, this carb is from Kawi KXF250, but bored out to 40 or 41mm and some "powernow" blades, quickshot3 installed by previous owner.
    Carb sat in shelf for 5 years and needs cleaning and some jets and o-rings missing, but i could find the right ones.
    This carb have different intake bell as KTM uses (removable bell) and the question is : will it fit and maybe someone have used this style before?
    the second question is: jetting advice, close to sea level, i have two needles (OBEKS and OBDTR)
    3rd question: there are much information and i see two opposite opinions! i have read a big drama from Motolab how dangerous it is and some other guys tells how good and responsible bike feels. I have SXC muffler already installed.
    Do i really need this carb on my old Adv or just stay with Dell'orto or find Mikuni TM40 as better/safer option?
    IMG_20191217_194954.jpg IMG_20191217_194954.jpg IMG_20191217_195037.jpg IMG_20191217_222329.jpg IMG_20191217_222339.jpg IMG_20191217_222352.jpg IMG_20191218_160743.jpg
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those metal rings don't actually "seal" up anything in the that we normally think how a seal should work. But what they do do, is protect the rubber wheel bearing seal (that is located behind it) from dirt, silt, sand, mud, vines, ect. So their design is actually 100% functional. I don't think the larger sized diameter seal will be any issue at all. The 9x0 bikes use a very similar metal seal ring (except the 9x0 uses a larger diameter axle). I don't think that metal ring actually is ever supposed to touch the rubber seal, it's situated just barely above it. My point is, it shouldn't matter.
  16. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    What whodatschrome said is correct. The actual name for this type of "seal" is a nilos-ring. It is supposed to protect the bearing's own so.

Cheers,

Tara
  17. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Whodatschrome @Tseta for the responses. I've actually just fitted the seals and the wheel to the bike. All good :thumbsup

Next question...The routing of the fuel line between the tanks:
    (it's funny how, after having the bike apart for far too long, when putting it all back together some things just doesn't seem right! And all the photos I've taken, doesn't always help :(
    )

If I put it where I think it should go, given how the connectors on the tank face rearwards (2006 adventure), it would run from left backwards, just below the autodeko, around engine, just above exhaust pipe, into right side connector.

How that seems awfully close to that very hot exhaust pipe?
    IMG_20191223_184800-01_resized.jpg
  18. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nevermind, I found it, previously it was held up away from the exhaust by being tied to the pipe that runs to the SAS which I've now removed.

I'll tie it to the thermostat instead... 11232019192342.jpg
    Whodatschrome and timeOday like this.
  19. ümproper

ümproper n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings fellow riders.
    It's 2020 and I get to come out of lurking closet for first time on the net since ever. My brother says y'all da best so I am here to learn.

I just bought an old LC4 KTM with a seized engine. Bro said he didn't want it even if gratis, cause not original and blablabla... So it's mine now and will be rebuilding it all slowly butt surely. Kind of final exam on bike rebuild. 20200105_134201.jpg

1st question is: how can I identify the bike?
    I am leaving photo from yesterday as I picked her.

Great 2020's 4all and thanks for existing.
    j 20200105_133535.jpg
    Jeff Sichoe and Antti like this.
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/98569-1992-ktm-600-lc4/
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/745672-1990-ktm-600/
    ümproper likes this.