KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Marekp

Marekp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is more or less a final product. Rattle cans are tricky. Next tank I'm painting would come out great ;) IMG_20200121_072333.jpg
    ElJorgio, tonyubsdell, Diddly and 3 others like this.
  2. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the right side switch that does that Meat?
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I'd have to go look at the bike, which is in a different state currently... but let's just say you're correct. My bad... still don't know my left from my right.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    “Different state”...physically or emotionally?
    meat popsicle likes this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Both, but not spiritually.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. aceyalone

aceyalone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice !

what did you used to polish and paint it ?
  8. Marekp

Marekp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some no name ral2006 rattle can paint. I first applied base layer paint(also a can). To polish: wet sand paper grade 2000, and "tempo" polish wax. Colour is Abit off. It's more carrot than orange;)
  9. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a commercial oversize brake pedal tip that will fit the old style pedal that looks like this one on my 97 RXC?
    billet brake lever tip kit-250x250.jpg
  10. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some spring rate advice and didn't want to start a new thread. Ive read every suspension thread on ADV and its just confused me more LOL. Bike is a 2006 640A. I weight 210lbs without gear, never have a passenger, ride fairly aggressive off-road and on-road. I'd rather the bike perform better off-road than on. Jeff Slavens has recommended "at least a .56kg/mm" fork spring and 8.8kg/mm shock spring. This seems really heavy in my mind. Anyone have any thoughts? I've seen a lot of people using .48nm or such on the forks and being happy. .56 seems like a big move, but perhaps I am not converting kg/mm to n/mm properly. Thanks.
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

Anyone? Man, I remember a time the LC4 thread would have a new post every few minutes lol.
  12. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't have much to add.

About 9 years ago, I had both ends of my 2005 640A done by a suspension guy here in Australia. As a result of this, I had a .50 in the front and an unknown spring in the back (hence my new spring from Slavens).

When you say Slavens has recommended "at least a .56kg/mm" fork spring and 8.8kg/mm shock spring, was this via email/phone or using a web based tool?

Only reason I ask is in the recent past (and my recollection is hazy) I had a situation where either Slavens (or another site) site recommended a 9.2 kg/mm rear spring.

In an email exchange (which I must have deleted) a Slaven's employee told me the 9.2 was too hard and to use the 8.8. Which I did and I am happy with.

For reference I am 6" and 210 without gear.

So I am happy with .50 front and 8.8 rear. I am using all the travel at both ends.
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

Thanks, David, that's a big help actually knowing someone else has similar rates that is close to my size. To answer your question, it was emailing back and forth with Jeff Slavens who recommended the rates. Yeah, I am like you, I don't fully trust the online calculators. Much rather get personal opinions. Thanks again for the assist. Hope all is well with you in Australia. Cheers.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    M
    let me get back to you. I need to check my notes on the springs I got from slavens. I did front and rear springs on a 2005 and a ‘07.

EDIT:

OK, i just got to my notes...

I'm a husky 6' 155lbs in my birthday suit. Geared up with a full 3 liter water bladder i scale in closer to 180-185lbs. I carry VERY minimal tools, and zero racks or camping gear. Front springs are 5.0 N/nm, rear is 8.0 kg on my '07 640A.

My friend is 6' 3'' 220ish in his dad bod birthday suit. Geared up he's probably around 250lbs. He has some lightweight rear racks on his bike that are mounted up full time (along with random stuff in the soft bags that are strapped to them (so add in another 10lbs for racks and random stuff in them). I think we went with a little bit heavier spring in the back of his because of future rides that would entail carrying a Giant Loop bag for actual adventure riding. Front springs are 5.4 N/nm, rear is a 9.2 kg.

I installed the springs in both bikes at the same time. And have ridden them both back to back. I think i probably should have gone with heavier springs from and rear? I ride much more agressive than my friend, and he was complaining that his suspension is a little to soft. I want to try to adjust the clickers more before i go any further. Yes his bike would benefit from a valving, but i honestly don't think it would benefit him from an investment standpoint. We were doing some testing over a jump in my pasture, and flat landing from about 24" in the air was just too much for the factory valving. He was fine with his current springs on normal rough and rutted 2 track trails though.

I'm about 95% sure that i'll get my '07 bike revalved at some point (hopefully soon). Though i rarely ever ride it (100 miles a year on average), i would probably ride it more once the suspension gets worked on. I like to ride the bigger bikes a little on the agressive side, so the suspension valving would probably be a good investment for me.

After i installed the heavier springs in my friend's '05, i did a test ride and i think i liked his heaver springs better than the lighter ones i installed in my '07. If i lived closer (1000 miles away from me) to my suspension tuner (same guy who dialed in my 950A), i would have pulled the plug on a revalve already. So short story, i think the springs on both the bikes i did might be more oriented towards the "comfort" side of things.

...and a blurry pixilated pic to go with, since everything is easier to read with pictures.
    DFF6CE56-94E5-454F-A6AB-A9F9D3AAF054.jpeg
    ElJorgio and flux_capacitor like this.
  15. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    No problem.

I should have mentioned that I have also had both ends re-valved. The re-valve was done by a guy over here that had done a lot of bikes for the Australian Safari (like Baja). SO more high speed, desert type riding.

I also had a friend (Yamaha suspension guru) check the sag at both ends and it was pretty close. Of course sag settings are another area that is hard to get solid info on for these bikes.

Of course, there is also the issue that there is a large weight differential from empty (fuel tank) bike going trail riding, to full bike loaded up for 2 weeks away in the desert. Everything's a compromise.
    Whodatschrome and flux_capacitor like this.
  16. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    @Whodatschrome and @dnrobertson I appreciate the feedback, guys. It makes a huge difference in my confidence ordering the correct springs. Now I just need to decide whether or not I should send this stuff off to someone like our local suspension guy, Konflict, or do it all myself. I'm a bit worried that the valving was redone when the lowering bits were added to the suspension. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops, i completely forgot to add the spring rate that installed in my (heavier) buddy's bike! I'll edit my posting above in about an hour.

RE-EDIT: reread my suspension weights. Spell check through me a curve ball. I finally got the numbers correct now.
    dnrobertson likes this.
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok, this thread may not pop every few minutes but there's still plenty of traffic for a bike that's been out of production for 14 years!
    dunc289, ElJorgio and flux_capacitor like this.
  19. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good resource this; I hope.

My low fuel light has stopped working and I suspect it is related to me changing the ignition powered headlights to a relay (all I have changed recently).

Can anyone shed light on how to troubleshoot and solve the issue?
  20. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    I'm not being a smart ass here:

Are you sure all the wiring is still complete?

The wires to the low fuel sensor (situated on rear side of tank) are easily broken if you forget to disconnect the wiring BEFORE removing the tank (DAMHIK).

Mine broke where they exit the sensor, making repair impossible. I've lived with it like this for over 7 years.