KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a look at Creeper’s buying an LC4 in the thread index in the beginning of this thread.
    airgord and NitroAcres like this.
  2. bfalcao

bfalcao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the references of the Excel rims for a 2006 640A? Looking for black rims in sizes 21x1.85 (alternatively, 21x1.60) and 18x2.50 (alternatively, 18x2.15). Also, does anyone know the references of the spoke kits from Haan Wheels to lace the rims on the stock hubs? Will they fit without any mod? Many thanks in advance
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Not sure if these posts answer your questions:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ask-woody-about-your-wheels.145899/page-32#post-6079421 (and some of the following posts).
    bfalcao likes this.
  4. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who has a source for WP5060 fork seals?
    Who has them?
  5. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`ve been collecting parts for fitting tank from Adventure to my 640SixDays. It allready have the 18L tank but I`been still carrying 4-5L extra fuel when travelling at remote areas.

I found tank for pretty fair price but front bracket and seat was hard to find. I even bought second rear frame and was planning that I`ll make it to match to older seat wich does mach to Adv tank. Adv seat has older desing at front and newer at rear, its kind of mix from those two. How ever I found one seat from Germany wich needs some work but not bad.

I also bought 640 Highflow engine wich will replace older non-HighFlow engine in the bike (how ever theres nothing wrong with it either). Its now getting in parts and fully serviced, gets also some mild headwork done. And ones I`m getting newer engine I`ll get hydraulic clutch too. One thing leads to another :-)

For the "new" engine I have some goods too.. some time ago found highflow exhaust without center silencer and also have brand new Mikuni TM40-6 in order to get rid of the BST. I wanted to spare the orginal SixDays plastics wich are in nice orderso I got also some front end plastis from supermoto model.

So.. hopefully during the winter I get it all together for the next summer adventures. Only problem is that I like to drive it in winter time too.

And as it is true adv bike it gets in weird situations.. like two weeks ago when the bike, my tent (me inside) and my friends tent got hit by fallen tree.
    Bike took quite a hit.

Attached Files:

6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Good luck getting it together!

Just read Jared Diamond’s new book Upheaval and I learned a bunch of interesting history about Finland in it. With luck one day I’ll visit.
    Antti likes this.
  7. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a little advice. My 2003 adventure keeps blowing coolant out the overflow hose. The coolant level is set so it just covers the fins when the bike is upright (on a stand). I just replaced the cap with a KTM cap and cleaned the inside of the filler neck. The bike is not overheating, it gets to 5 bars and stays right there. The fan will cut in every now and then but not very often. The system only leaks under hard throttle, I can ride for hours with no leaks if i take it easy on the throttle but as soon as i crack it open the bike spits coolant all over the place.
    any ideas would be a huge help.
    Thanks
  8. Marekp

Marekp n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe radiator cap doesnt hold the pressure. IT should hold some,low pressure.
  9. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Maybe just a sensor thing but my bike almost always runs at 4 bars temp unless it's really being worked hard at low speed. The fan is on a separate sensor, mine rarely comes on during normal riding, it takes some combo of hot day/ slow riding/ hard work to switch it. I'm guessing Nth Vancouver isn't much warmer than NZ.

640s will spit coolant every time if overfilled, then stop once they have their level, but just over the fins should be about right.

Cheers
    Clint
    NitroAcres likes this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Mine runs normal at 4 bars too.
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you quite certain the cap is where it's coming out? Old hoses leak around fittings or get cracks in them. If you're on the original hoses yours made it a lot longer than mine did. Or a loose clamp of course.
  12. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya it is most definitely coming out the overflow hose that comes off the right radiator directly below the cap.
    Seems like it’s building enough pressure to lift the spring in the cap and vent the pressure (and fluid) out the overflow hose.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spitballing here, but you're definitely tightening the cap all the way to the stops?
  14. krmtclml

krmtclml Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the cap it installed correctly
  15. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wellcome :)

I’ll check that book, just being curious how he handles the history. Seems like it is found at local library and transferred in clear Finnish.
    skibum69 likes this.
  16. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    How low does the coolant get when it is blowing out?

It is just below the top plate in the radiator?
    timeOday likes this.
  17. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Even though you just replaced the cap, I’d probably try another new cap before ruling that out as cause.
  18. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    After replacing cap again, if you’re still having probs..

My 05 also runs at four bars on the temp gauge and can only comes on at hard work at slow speeds or idling in high heat. Is your fan running all the time? Maybe your bike reading five bars is within range of the temp gauge. But, if the fan is running all the time (and your first and second replacement cap are working correctly), maybe the water isn’t circulating.
    -You’ve filled the rads and made sure to purge air from the circuit / eliminating potential vapor lock?
    -You’re not finding milky oil (signs of coolant breaking through worn water pump into crankcase)?
    -Here’s my Click and Clack, our of nowhere diagnosis. (Seriously, Just spitballing here, maybe someone else knows.). Can the thermostat on the LC4 stick closed? Bad thermostat would cause the higher running temp, but (assuming water pump is still good) could it also cause excess pressure buildup and bypass at the cap?
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    His books Guns Germs and Steel and Collapse are very interesting too.
    Antti likes this.
  20. Sabzu

Sabzu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could anyone tell me if the pre-03 seats or the 98-06 seats will fit the post-03 640 adventures? Cheers