KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of zip-tie'ing it to the nearby fuel line. Not fool proof but should help.
  2. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why not just replace the connector or better still add a connector in line in the wire a standard 12v round male/female connector, like below,
    if you firmly attach one side to the tank with a cable tie, if you pull tank off without first disconnecting then it will just pull apart no problem
    its not a circuit that takes high current, so any kind of simple push on connector will work.

[​IMG]
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  3. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    That’s not a bad idea. I might practice with my “spare”
  4. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuel line tip.

That super expensive ($25 per meter) ID 7.5mm braided fuel line the ADV uses about 2 yards of...

Is also available as a vintage Porsche 911 part for about $5 per meter.
  5. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or file down the existing locking tab a little bit on the original connector?
  6. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the problem is that you can never "unfile" it if needed also it is designed to be a friction fit, where as the push together 12v connectors they are used in heated clothing and designed to pull apart if you forget to disconnect getting off the bike.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's also lots of options here... https://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=125 I don't know how well those 12v connectors (as in the heated gear style) holds up to mud/water/dust/pressure washer.
  8. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Or if you “forget” to plug them back in when putting the tank on and the +12v wire shorts to ground.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't short out, but when you get low on fuel your 12v heated gloved might automatically turn on.
    bikemoto and PaulBarton like this.
  10. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not likley if you wire it correctly, it can be the inside of the female part and never touch a thing, besides which less of an issue than taking the tank off and ripping either the connector off or wires out of the sensor in the tank, same for the question above, no they are probably not very warter/dust/pressure washer proof, but what the hell does it matter you can buy 10 for £6 they are pretty much disposable, the point is to save the cost of replacing way more expensive parts.
    drhippie2 likes this.
  11. Desert Silver

Desert Silver Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever have the center stand rub on the brake side of the swing arm? I think that side of the center stand got bent inwards on shift side when it fell over while up on the center stand. I've tried to bend it out wards but haven't been able to.
  12. Racer322

Racer322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I'm a current 950 owner that I am finishing a frame-off restoration on and I should be completed soon. With that said, I am in the process of purchasing an 06 640 Adv. What Scott's damper kits are readily available for the 640 Adv? I'd prefer to not swap out the upper triple clamp. Also, does anyone have an OE tool kit and OE roadbook holder that they'd like to sell me? Let me know. Really looking forward to having this bike to complement my 950 for when I want to do tighter off road areas. Thanks
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine took a new upper clamp when I installed it.
    [​IMG]
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. You can slip a pipe over the leg of the centerstand and pull it back where it needs to be.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only "readily" available is the Scotts upper triple mount that Skibum posted up.
    Emig Racing has a fancy damper and mount kit, but i don't know how readily available it is. http://www.emigracing.com/ktm-640-adv.html
    Stenhouse used to make and inexpensive one many years ago, but he's not making them again. http://stenhouseracing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6
  16. Quazzymoto

Quazzymoto Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for the BST40 Bible. supposedly the Bible for rebuilding this carburetor Anyone have a link to it I was told it was in ADV rider and can’t seem to put my fingers on it Thanks...
  17. Antti

Antti Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you read it back to front rather than front to back.

Regards,

Derek
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stenhouse isn't making their mount anymore and has none in stock. Not sure about the Emig unit but it also replaces the triple tree. I had it on my last 640 and it was a nice unit but I do prefer the scotts damper...
  20. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    I have the Emig set-up on mine with HDB top plate/hand guards. It works as proclaimed. I have the Emig offset top brace too. Not sure how “readily accessible” it is but a quick phone call should clear that up.