KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You calling me Doc?
    PaulBarton likes this.
  2. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    oops. That's what happens when i try to post from my cell phone.
  3. Racer322

Racer322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies regarding the Scott's kits. After doing a bit more research I came across this kit that looks very similar (if not the same) to the Scott's kit. I think this will be the move as it's bolt-on and won't require any welding to the frame.

[​IMG]
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had that on a previous 640A but with the HDB top plate/hand guards. I’d say it’s comparable to the Scott’s but I didn’t get a lot of saddle time with it.
  5. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    BRP makes the clamps for Scotts, so they’re the exact same clamp if you happen to find one that has “Scotts” machined into it.

I bought that same Scotts/BRP stabilizer kit for my 07 640A. It works well for me out in the desert. My 640 now also has VERY nice suspension as well, so a steering damper may not be as much of a benefit as a bike with stock springs and valving.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  6. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I agree with this.

I have a damper fitted on my 2005 640A.

But I got my suspension done (springs and valving). 300 kms in the Australian desert (Birdsville --> Poeppel Corner --> Birdsville) then realised the damper was on its lowest setting.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I put the damper on my 640 but realistically I've never needed it. My front wheel is well behaved in any conditions. Now my 525 is a different story and the damper is really helpful especially as speed.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Interesting chatter - I always thought I should splurge on a damper for deflections at speed - didn't even think that my suspension upgrades might make one unnecessary.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like mine for flying through the Mojave desert (think LAB2V ride). I give the adjuster about 6 klicks or so. It does work well when my front tire hits rocks at speed. If I were to riding on my local woods trail up here in Oregon, then I might give the adjuster 0 to 3 clicks.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I’ve heard from multiple sources that steering dampers hide a multitude of sins. Suspension should be attacked in this order:

1. Bearings
    2. Fluids
    3. Springs
    4. Valving
    5. Triple clamp
    6. Damper

In my own experience, my sharp-steering 2003 200EXC is the first generation of the 48 mm WP forks…which were nasty. It would headshake above 80 km/h especially if provoked by a bump or rut. As in violent tank-slapper type of thing, resolved only by banging the throttle open and finding a smooth place to slow down. After getting the forks re-valved, almost all the headshake tendency was gone.

The only time my 640 tended to headshake badly was traced to a worn lower shock bearing.

But I do lust after a damper to help with severe deflection from rocks.
    meat popsicle likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My 640 front pretty much never deflects, it just keeps on going.
    bikemoto likes this.
  12. ontheroad68

ontheroad68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned almost every Dual Sport ever made, except for the 640A and the 690. I've always wanted a 640 but found a good deal on a TE610 this spring so that's what I've been riding most of the summer. Very happy with the 610 but was thinking about a fresh top end this winter and parts are about non-existent for this bike. Perhaps this is my excuse to sell it and get a 640? How is parts availability for these? Average engine life? I'm also considering a New AJP PR7 or Superdual, I really like the 610/630 engine and gearbox, or possibly a used 690/701 ($$$$$$$)

Also! Has anyone put the Lectron Carb on their 640? I put a Lectron on my DRZ years ago but the VERY abrupt transition from off throttle to on- throttle was a deal breaker. I loved everything else about the carb. Who's got one on a 640?

This 640 in Nepal is about one of my fav. moto videos on youtube and the guy has a really cool Green 640, is that a Euro spec color? I've never seen a green 640 here in the states.

13. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    There was a 6 Days paint that was “green” but really looked black except when in direct sunlight. I’ve not seen that color green before.

I have some of the 6 days plastics on my 07 Adventure but they really just look black on the side covers and tail light/fender.
  14. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have wondered about the lectron carb myself. I haven't read of anyone on here running one.
    Good video, thanks for sharing.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned two 640 Adv's and now have a 690 "Adv". The 690 is a total hooligan in comparison, it's SO much more powerful, I love the 6 speed gear box, I wanted ABS brakes and the bonus is its way smoother. Fuel injection is a plus for me as I can go from 6k feet to 12k feet above sea level in a days ride. The biggest detraction for the 690, (and its a doozy) is that it takes a good amount of effort and a large amount of money to "adventurize it". I bought my bike largely built, so saved myself some of the expense but it was still more expensive than the 640 I sold.

However the bike was 11 years newer and only had 1325 miles on it when I got it, so I felt it was worth it...
    PaulBarton likes this.
  16. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    I thought you were getting the T7. The 690 makes so much more sense to me. I rode my 640A with a ride buddy that just got a T7 a month ago. He let me ride it. The power delivery is smooth and remarkably quiet. But I found the ergos tough for me at 6’ and the suspension lacking in comparison to the 640. Both of those are fixable issues but it’s also as heavy as a 990.

690 is way more tempting if it’s already “adventurized”.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s a super cool video.

I’ve never heard of a Lectron on a 640. The stock BST 40 carb works really well 98% of the time for me. It handles drastic elevation changes very well. An FCR (39 or 41) is a common carb swap (which is also a common swap on a DRZ).

That green 640A in the video is just a “custom” paint job. Who knows what color green he painted it. There was never a 640 Adventure Six Days, but there was a LC4 640 Enduro Six Days that was green.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Parts are still pretty good and KTM says they will keep making parts but you might have to wait a bit.

As for the T7 it felt very underwhelming to me, my 640 has more kick than it did. Suspension definitely not as good, it got pretty squarely at speed.

Fun video! I wish I could kick my bike over as easy as he did!
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure I got to ride the T7 cause he wanted to ride my 640A. I didn’t ask and was frankly shocked when he offered it up. First time riding together and the bike was only 30 days old. Just makes me appreciate the 640A that much more.

Whodatschrome is right, the 6Days I was referring to is the 640E- Which are what are on my 640A.
  20. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was but they're impossible to find. Than this completely adventurized 690 popped up less than 30 minutes from my house. I went to check it out and was giggling in my helmet on the test ride. Sold!
    skibum69 and PaulBarton like this.