KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Wanderer7

Wanderer7 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I can't help regarding installing LED bulbs in the factory light housings - though I do know that the position of the light filament is critical - as well as the type of design of the LED bulb. I'm willing to bet it has to do with the fact that it's the type of bulb design of the LED bulb you are using in the projector type housing. And it does have a cut off plate inside of it.

I originally installed 35w HID's in both low and high beams. After a year or so, I wanted to go LED.
    I also wanted a better lighting pattern.
    I bought a Hella R80 LED unit (all in one LED housing - it's a sealed unit) for $100 and I made a bracket for it to mount where the low beam projector housing was. It surprisingly only uses 21 watts and has a great light spread.
    (This is what I bought and where I got it from: https://www.rallylights.com/hella-90-mm-led-headlamp-module-r80.html )

I also replaced the high beam with a Baja Designs Squadron R Pro with the driving combo lens. It only uses 40 watts. I no longer have to wait for the HID bulbs to warm up, and when I have them both on, it only uses 61 watts. The lighting is better now than before. I also plan on buying and installing 2x Baja Designs S1 pods at 20 watts each for a total of 40 watts. Combined, this is 101 watts for an accumulated 11,000+ lumens.

I also hear you regarding your wire harness. When I first got my 640A a few years ago, I took a video of my entire wire harness, all of its locations and everything. Then I removed the entire harness and re-did it, along with adding/replacing the main power, ground and switched 12v wires with thicker gauge wires and I re-did all of the connectors. I know how notorious the wiring can be on these bikes, so I tackled that first because I didn't want to get stranded anywhere due to wiring retardations IMG_20210921_154252670_HDR.jpg IMG_20210823_134921516.jpg
    Jorugburn, bikemoto and PaulBarton like this.
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read your thread on that LED conversion. Nice work!....not sure I'm ready for that yet but it's looming. I was half-tempted to start the rewire right now with the fairing and dash removed. The wiring is a real kludge and that drives me nuts...even if no issue is present I now know it's a rats nest when one does come up. Everything is wrapped with electrical tape to "protect" it but that means that every wire is effectively black. This will haunt me all winter...The only thing that really stopped me was I have to fly out tomorrow for work and my wife returns tomorrow...I can't leave the bike torn down when she returns. She"ll be pissed and I'm sure some unobtanium part will mysteriously disappear. ;-)

Regarding the LED bulbs, I'm familiar with the issues around cut-off and projection but dammit this bulb was installed on a 640A and I have the headlight assembly it was used in. I've also seen two others post a while back using this exact bulb as a direct replacement in their 640A's. Why is mine different?
    Wanderer7 likes this.
  3. Wanderer7

Oddometer:
    PaulBarton, that is really weird regarding your situation with the bulb. Perhaps it's cocked inside the housing? Can you remove the back cover and spring holder and with it powered on (with gloves on) and see how the LED looks while powered on? And then put it back in and try to gently and slowly move the bulb around to see if anything improves lighting-wise?

Unless you have something stuck inside the housing?
  4. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooh!
    I've learned something new to me.
    Mesh heatsink LED for H1
    Very cool.

I just went down the rabbit hole of looking for that product and finding a thread here on that vendor.
    I'll be looking for similar product for my 1150 and for my 640

That went onto your 1150 housing without modification to the housing or cover?

I'm sorry to say I don't have a solution for your diffuser question, although I'll be watching here to see what comes up.
  5. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Poacher!!

ADV Monster is out of stock and an inquiry into them said they have no plans to restock....

There is a kit from Solaris that looks to be very similar. Amazon has a cheap pair too. Can't speak to the quality on either of those. I've had the ADV Monster H1 and H3 Mesh Monsters on my 1150 for over 5 years (2 different bikes). I've had the Native H4 on my /5 for probably 5 years too.

Now why doesn't it work in my 640?!
  6. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    The base of the LED is clocked the same as the standard H1 Halogon and HID bulbs. It has a straight edge that is intended to align with the tab to orient the bulb one way. I have folded the tab down so that I can reverse the bulb 180 degrees. Same issue. The LED bulb has lights on both faces -- think rectangular box with a short axis and a long axis. The bulb can only go into the housing 2 ways (180 degrees apart) and only one way if the tab is left in place. The LED bulb is symmetrical so the 180 doesn't change anything. There is definitely a diffuser in the low beam --- when you look at the lens from the outside it is "foggy" when I shine a flashlight in the opening I can see the metal cut-off plate but the opening isn't big enough to really see what's going on. With a flash light pointed behind the headlight opening you do not get the effect of the light being on. With the HID bulb installed and on you do.

LED bulb is working properly.
  7. John Macdonald

Oddometer:

Guilty!
    Shameless!
  8. Wanderer7

Oddometer:
    Perhaps if you can find any lighting pictures of others that used the same LED bulb that you are in their 640A? Sorry I'm not much help. I ALMOST went this route, but I decided on HID instead - because I decided that HID was the brightest and cheaper, and that if I didn't like it, then LED bulbs would probably be a downgrade due to less lumens and lighting. Therefore I could buy LED assembled unit replacements with specifically designed lighting characteristics - which is where I'm at today.
    Projector housings are designed to have the bulb filament in a precise location - outside of this, it can have widely(?) varying results.
    I hear you regarding that others have used the exact same bulb that you have - hopefully one of them chimes in.
    Did a significant amount of dust/dirt get inside the projector housing? I know that HID's are very powerful and that LED bulbs aren't as bright. Perhaps if the reflector and glass in the housing is very dusty (or perhaps condensation?) It is refracting or dulling the lighting?
    Just some thoughts
  9. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My mistake,

I should've been more charitable before antagonizing you un-necessarily. (Took me 3 min to spell that correctly.)

My apologies.
    I owe you a pint mate.
    meat popsicle and PaulBarton like this.
  10. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    14.6-14.7 volts at charging shouldn't be killing batteries.

Are they all the same brand? Dead to 10 volts usually means a dead cell, or some other internal short of the battery. Maybe you've got a run of a bad batch?
  11. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    During maintenance this summer I found the adjuster tab had broken off the low beam housing, so instead of searching for a new/used housing I went full LED.

[​IMG]

These things are great. I have them wired to both be on for high beam. Both together draw about the same as either the stock low or high beam.
  12. Stew M

Stew M n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope not same brand and the cheapest lasted the longest
    Just a thought if no lightning on just digital dash brake light odd indicator signal.
    Why does it need 14... Volts at tick over and at speed ktm dealers just keep saying 14.?!!! Is OK. Done a lot to it engine and exhaust air filter carb lots power.
    But battery is just for starting so does it need 14.!! Volts all the time
    If it's at 12.8 ihs volts not running turn on the lights and drops to 12. 1 volts
    Would 14.5 volts be to much at tick over and running
    Is your tick over voltage 14 _14.5 volts
  13. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    What are they? Link?

I've put the HID back in mine for now and have it all back together. I know I've got a wiring project coming....so while I've got it apart again ;-)
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    They are Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-R-Sport-LED-Light-Black.asp

I chose them because they only draw 26 watts. The Pro is brighter, but also draws 40watts. Seemed like overkill to me.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  16. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
  17. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I only did the mod this summer, so have no long term report. I was prepping the bike for the Colorado BDR. They worked great through that trip! Held up to the constant vibration and bike shaking of riding rocky Colorado passes. Only had 2 nights where we rode for any extended time in the dark. They were great for that. No snow though.. Not much heat either. Just a bit of rain and lots of shaking.

I like being able to adjust the beam aim while on the bike. I have the bracket bolts just loose enough that I can push hard and move them up or down; allowed me to easily adjust for luggage/no luggage.
    John Macdonald and PaulBarton like this.
  18. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Skibum. That’s actually the thread I saw and mistakenly credited @Wanderer7 with it.

Wanderer7 - Looking at the R80 Hella LED fixture what was needed for the bracket? Do the mounting holes not line up with the stock housing?
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drop and I are both happy with our new setups, I like how nicely it all went together and looks great. No issues with anything to date.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    From experience, the Squadrons (or any LED) aren't as good in the snow. The lights don't get hot enough to melt the snow when it's snowing really hard out. The LEDs also create more of a "strobe" effect when the light hits the individual snow flakes (when compared to a standard halogen headlight). All of this really doesn't matter since i'm not planning on riding my bike over the top of a mountain pass, in the middle of a late fall snowstorm at night ever again!
    bikemoto and PaulBarton like this.