KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oof
    That's the kind of psychedelic experience we definitely don't want.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  2. Wanderer7

Wanderer7 long time rider

Oddometer:
    The holes line up exactly at the center points of each hole. However, for me to mount it with the adjusters, I needed to drill the holes and make my own bracket from 1/8" thick aluminum plate. I also added 3 bolts with washers as spacers and locknuts to connect my bracket to the existing bracket. I hope the following pictures I took will provide enough for you.
    Oh, I also had to buy a 2 pin Deutsch DT04-2S connector with pins from eBay for the Hella R 80.

IMG_20210823_135302519.jpg IMG_20210823_135217363.jpg IMG_20210823_135154840.jpg IMG_20210823_135126932.jpg IMG_20210823_135113434.jpg IMG_20210823_135047808.jpg IMG_20210823_135030506.jpg IMG_20210823_135006817.jpg IMG_20210823_134952184.jpg IMG_20210823_134921516.jpg
    Jorugburn likes this.
  3. Wanderer7

Wanderer7 long time rider

Oddometer:
    When I bought it, I was told that Daniel Stern was impressed by the lighting.
    I will try to eventually take a picture of the lighting pattern. I can describe it as a very wide band of light that travels surprisingly very far, lights up very well and almost bluish, doesn't hurt the eyes and doesn't blind oncoming drivers. It also doesn't have that annoying factory cut-off line in the lighting pattern.

IMG_20210823_134859211.jpg IMG_20210818_135425882.jpg IMG_20210802_111325130.jpg IMG_20210802_112604570.jpg
    Jorugburn and PaulBarton like this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good.
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    In case anyone hasn't said yet, the LC4's stock wiring is undersized to some components, like the headlights. Eastern Beaver makes a kit that allows you to bypass the stock wiring if you are not an EE or journeyman.

Mentioned in case that's why the LED's won't work for you; maybe they're more sensitive to undercurrent.
    Wanderer7 likes this.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, Meat. To clarify, the LED light bulb is functional meaning it turns on and glows brightly but when it’s installed I don’t get the benefit of a headlamp. It looks more like back lighting with a diffuser or cut-off plate blocking it.

I’m aware of the issue with the wiring and my lights are wired independently through relays. Overall my wiring is a mess (but functional) so may look at some of the options available. I have an Eastern Beaver PC8 on both this 640 and my 1150gs so familiar with them and their products. Thanks for the tip.
    meat popsicle likes this.
  7. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m no EE, but I took comfort when installing my LEDs that they appear to draw a lot less current than incandescent bulbs. (2 x 20W IIRC)
    I am running a slightly trimmed down ADV wiring harness, although I did replace all the connectors, so I have a good contacts. But no extra relays.

I’m running a 10° spot and a 60° flood, and while the set up is not perfect, it is definitely bright enough for night trail riding.
    I’m actually Too old to enjoy driving on the street at night these days, but these lights are definitely too bright for oncoming traffic, even with just the flood on.
  8. NBAdv20

NBAdv20 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there!
    Has anybody else installed seriously lowered pegs on a 640A (-50mm)? How did you manage to get suiting positions for the brake and gear lever?
    Cheers!
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    From Daniel Stern's tech pages and chatting with him via email it seems sticking a different type of bulb in a housing can lead to poor results. Sorry I'm not sure what you did but that's all I can think of if its not projecting properly. If its the LED and the housing it came with then I guess it just sucks?
    Wanderer7 likes this.
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    The led bulb I put in the stock housings of both my 640’s clearly out performed the stock setup.

Was it as good as a dedicated led like a baja squadron? I’m sure it wasn’t but it was way cheaper and easier to install….
    Jorugburn and PaulBarton like this.
  11. Jorugburn

Jorugburn Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you remember what leds you used in your stock housing Doc?
    I would like to upgrade to the baja squadrons eventually but its not in my budget right now.
  12. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Bulb was the ADV Monster H1 Monster Mesh (same as @docwyte used in post above) put in stock housing. I've sourced a Hella 90mm R80 for the low beam which is a complete LED assembly that is direct fit to the mounting. It has a different connector which I've sourced. Once I have everything assembled and time to do it, I'll make the swap.
    Wanderer7 and Jorugburn like this.
  13. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    He used the ADV Monster H1 Mesh Monster but they are no longer in stock and there are no plans to restock them. (I checked).
    docwyte and Jorugburn like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s something to think about...
    The latest generation of the Squadron “Sport” LEDs are much brighter than the previous generation. Baja Designs turned up the driver so they are now brighter. It seems like every year around Thanksgiving time BD has a cash rebate on their LED products. What to do it find a black Friday sale that one of their distributors is having and buy a pair of squad “Sports”. Then mail in the rebate to BD. The price ain’t bad after all is said and done. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past 3 years.
    dunc289, Jorugburn and PaulBarton like this.
  15. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:

The 2 Squad sports cost around $250 combined, which to me felt like a decent deal. I hadn't priced LEDs for a while, but I seem to remember them being twice that or more a few years ago.

This has been in upgrade I've been thinking about doing for years. With LEDs getting cheaper and cheaper, I finally saw a dollar amount I could swallow.
  16. dunc289

Oddometer:
    Very interesting.
    How does that work?
    The rebate paperwork is in the box, or you apply on the web beforehand?
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the past the BD rebate form has been advertised on their website. It will probably be on their Facebook page as well. I’ve also seen it over in the VENDORS forum in the past. You make a copy of the online form, then send it in to BD along with a copy of the receipt of where you bought it. *And you must buy the LEDs from an authorized BD vendor....which there are many. I normally buy them from Racing Power Sports.com because they will have their own Black Friday sale as well. Double dipping????....you bet, and it’s totally legit! I usually see the sale start on either Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving day), or on Friday. I’ll planning on ordering a pair of S2’s for my John Deere riding lawn mower this year, ha!
    dunc289 likes this.
  18. dunc289

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.
    I've been happy enough with a pair of half price Vision X's that cost me $100 for both, but they're not quite the bees knees.
    Luckily for me, they're mounted in their swivels as if they were just attached to a Jeep fender, so I have options.

Much appreciated advice though.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  19. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure Baja Designs has a direct plug n play setup for my 690. I've been debating getting it but I've got a Cyclops bulb in my headlight now and it seems to be fine.
  20. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there still anyone servicing the factory dash/display units for the 640 Adventure?