KTM LC8 Exhaust and Auxillary Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And by "got" I mean I had an indi do it as I am not comfortable (yet) doing stuff on my bikes. The installation of heated grips, the 2-1, the LV exhaust, and the ADVtank cost me 5 hours labour. About 2 more than I expected (so I guess I'll be installing the Zumo 220 myself), but (I hope) this way it got done right. I took the bike out for a spin and the burning rope smell disappeared after about 10 min.

The bike sounds a lot meaner with the Leo Vince pipe than with stock - even my wife noticed, and unlike what I was expecting, I thought it pulled a bit less strongly under 6k RPM. But that's just an uninformed first impression. Other than that, no remapping appears to be required.

Taking it on the road this weekend on a 1500 km ride to visit a friend. I'm looking forward to having more than 300km between fill ups. Though my butt still needs a break every 2 to 2.5 hours.

Now, if I can just find a good set of panniers and an engine guard, I'd be all set.
  2. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com

Oddometer:
    I'm in, thanks Ned for your help :thumb
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my 2to1 installed. Took about 1.5 hrs
    Lessons learned:
    With creative use of tools the luggage racks and side panels don't need to come off.
    Leave all the mount & clamp bolts loose until it is all lined up. I had to use some extra persuation (crowbar) to line up the support bracket bolt.

The left FMF exhaust can be used on the right side. It just means the tab will be on the outside of the mount vs inside.

Anybody want a FMF Q left can for a reasonable price. :evil

My 950 sounds very much like my 450 now with the single.

When the tanks come out I'll be putting that one. :D
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

5 days left on the preorder period!
  5. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Are we still on schedule for mid-August for the next batch of tanks??
    I'm seeing these threads installing the tanks lately.
    Getting the itch to do mine.
    Seems like I'll have to figure out bracketing and fuel line tapping still.
    Can't do anything until I git the tank in front of me. :D

I like the way my bike runs with the 2into1. Sounds way different. Almost like my 450 at twice the rpms.
  6. dooby

Oddometer:
    Any news in here Ned :ear
  7. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Ned is out riding.
  8. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed my bike was excessively loud today as we neared Baie Comeau on our way to the TLH. One of the bolts that attaches the 2-1 into the LV exhaust had fallen off and the remaining 2 were about ready to as well. I tightened the two remaining but I need to get another (plus spares?) before I head out on the TLH. Can anyone tell me what the bolt is so I don't have to take one out and do the "one of these please"
  9. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    A quick look on-line for KTM parts shows the bolts through the exhaust header into the exhaust are 0015080163 HH Collar Screw M 8x16 (07 990 Adv). When you did the 2 into 1 conversion you may have had three of these left over from he left side. Good luck.
  10. dooby

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update :thumb
  11. fencing5051

fencing5051 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    canyou supply remus single can with 2/1 pipe to aus
  12. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the 2-into-one and auxillary tank last week, and yesterday I finally got a chance to install it. :evil

[​IMG]

thanks Ned!
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Expecting mine in soon. Looks good.
    I was curious about the fluid levels.
    Does it look like if the main tanks are full to the cap (I top off) the fulid will be above the aux tank vent? If so this would cause gas to push back into the aux tank and out the vent hose. :eek1
    If that be the case a simple procedure would require leaving the aux tank off until the main tanks are down a gallon or so. Maybe 50-75 miles.
  14. neduro

Oddometer:
    Not to worry, we've got that covered!

The kit includes a one way valve that goes between the front tanks and the rear, so that flow can only go forward. This avoids fuel out the rear vent, and also prevents low fuel levels in the front getting spread out 3 ways instead of just 2 and preventing any potential for flow problems.

Personally, I frequently ignore the presence of the rear tank- when I'm just commuting/ short trips/ whatever, I just use the front. When I'm going somewhere that I want the range, I fill it.

:thumb

PS: We've had a devil of a time with shipping from Leo Vince, we've gotten some of the wrong stuff, no stuff at all, etc... it's getting ironed out and in the meantime we've spent a ton of money in extra shipping fees trying to make it right with you all. Sorry for any frustration that might be causing! We should be straight on that front going forward...
  15. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ned! :D
    I haven't received any shipping info on my tank. I just expect to see it appear someday. :lol3
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assume the correct part# has one extra "0" ..... 60005005001 "GRAPHIT RING 42X47X25 03"

How likely is it (presuming one is careful :1drink) that you will need replacements (2006 950Adv w/ 13000 miles)? I hate to start a project and have to stop for parts half way through but I also don't like having yet more parts I'll never use lying around.
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

Mine were hard to remove and I messed them up pretty bad, but I was able to sort of reshape them and stuff them in there. They seem to work fine.
  18. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any tricks to avoid this? I see a tip in the destructions about using a hose clamp/locking pliars to prevent the "gaskets" sliding backwards but I'm guessing this isn't the part that caused yours to get messed up?
  19. neduro

Oddometer:
    I've done probably 25 2 into 1 installs, and for about 20 of them, the graphite rings just slid right out. The remainder were a mess, I've reused them and they seem to work but they clearly were much worse for the wear after using an x-acto, screw driver, etc to remove them.

Seems to be a luck of the draw thing... :dunno
  20. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    For those of us (me anyway) on a budget and unafraid of potentially destroying a fine piece of planet-saving hardware, does anyone have knowledge of or a link to coring out the stock cat on a 990 adv? I saw some pix in this thread but no how-to. Anyone done it and been disappointed with the result?

Thinking I could modify the left side pipe into an aux tank too. I have Jesses and my understanding was that these wont work with Ned's tank(?)

Beautiful work btw Ned. Are u still in the Springs - I'm only about 4 hrs away...would buy you a cooling amber beverage on my way by sometime...:freaky