1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM LC8 Exhaust and Auxillary Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Found some links to my questions, at least for a 950 so far anyway...:flush
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you be interested in a FMF can? I have one leftover from my 2into1.
    PM if so. I sold off the stock mid-pipe, so no going back for me.
  3. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Possibly. Sending a PM.
  4. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ned,

I did my first ride with the 950 since installing the 2-into-1 and the ADV tank- best mod I've done to the bike by far. :thumb I've always had a slight flat spot that no amount of playing with the carbs ever fixed; with the 2-into-one, that's gone!

And the extra range is just freeing; I wasn't worried about fuel at all! Normally it's always on my mind. The placement of the aux. tank is perfect- I didn't notice the extra weight at all. :thumb

[​IMG]
  5. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Got my tank installed today. STill have to fill up with fuel.

I already had the midpipe done. The tank alone wasn't too bad of a job.
    I ended up doing some filing on my forward pipe bracket to allow for enough radial clearance for the tank bracket to work. I'm a little uneasy about that upper tank mount. I expected to see a full rubber grommet. I'm accepting that this works. There are so many out there working good already. :D
    Looking forward to doing a full week of riding to work without a gas stop. :clap
  6. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    :thumb

The issue is that the mounting bracket from KTM offers so little real estate within to work with. :dunno
  7. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess I drew a short(er) straw. The graphite rings were in great shape but the bolt on the right side header clamp sheared off. Was turning ok, progress being made and then 'ping' and that was that. Grrrr. Had about 5mm of bolt sticking out of the little steel cylinder, 30 min WD40 soak, propane torch, vice&channel locks yielded nothing. Notched the 5mm remaining, took the hand impact driver, corner of the impact bit snaps off and hits me face just under safety glasses :eek1 Back to soaking in the WD40, off to Sears, new impact bit, more propane torching, nothing, impact driver just slowly eats it's way through the stainless leaving me with about 2mm sticking out. Momentarily dallied with using a bolt extractor -- not sure why as they always seem to break off inside and really hose you -- till I remembered how hard it is to drill stainless.

$31 for a new clamp, ouch. Fun fun fun, was hoping to go ride this weekend.
  8. nevermind

nevermind Wrong Again

Oddometer:
    Thanks for adding this, it's good to know and I'll add some anti-seize next time I'm in there...

I have these sockets and they've worked well when I've had the real estate to work with:
    [​IMG]
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have a similar thing but lacked the real-estate. I'll be planning on using some hi-temp copper anti-seize on the new ones.
  10. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    That sucks! One idea- can you drive them through the other way? Sometimes the threads are cleaned out, and if the bolt is sheared off, maybe you can just push it through since there's no head to stop it any more.

Another technique I've used with varying success is drilling a pilot hole down the center of the snapped bolt, then going bigger and bigger until you can essentially crush the bolt out from wherever it is.

:dunno
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back side was flush when it sheared off, so no .... but thanks for the idea.

As far as anti-seize is concerned, whats the temp of the exhaust at the clamp area? I have a large tub of NAPA anti-seize thats rated for 1600 farenheit. You can get ceramic and nickel based stuff thats good upto 2400 farenheit.
  12. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Head temps are far less than that, so I'd be surprised if that far down the exhaust they reach anywhere near that. No testing to support that, tho...

:dunno
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Low fuel light on at 212miles. :clap Normal for me was 168miles before the aux tank. :D
  14. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    You'll find the fuel light lasts for a lot longer, too... there's still a lot of fuel in the rear tank when the light comes on. :thumb
  15. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My very first tank the fuel light came on at 170 (it was mostly offroad). I was able to easily get another 30 miles out of that and still had some fuel left.:D

Ned, With your aux tank installed about on average how far do you normally push it when the light comes on?

Also has anyone tried using one of those self venting things for the tank? My vent hose doesn't want to stay put.:lol3
  16. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Now this was interesting.:huh
    My LF light came on yesterday at 212. I kept driving to work and parked it. At the end of the day while riding home the F came up again and started counting up from zero again. I never cleared the LF lamp.
    I'm gathering that additional fuel drained from the aux tank and right tank to raise the left level enough for the level switch to reset.
    I got another 20 miles before the Fuel came on again. That was 230. :clap
    I rode home without issue. Odo sitting near 240 now.
    Like Ned noted additional mileage.:D :D :D
  17. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    I find it varies from install to install. When I was in Africa last year, we had 3 950's with the tank on the trip, all ridden side by side with the same jetting, and while we found our consumption was very similar, the lights never came on at the same time. I think it depends on how you route the hose, etc... what I would do is fill as quickly as possible after the light comes on a few times to get a sense for how much fuel remains, and go from there.
  18. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Filled up at the gas station for the first time. I now see why others have modified the KTM pannier racks. What a PITA to fill the aux tank. :eek1
    That's next on my mod list.:D
  19. ElJorgio

ElJorgio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    well, i got my 2-1 and aux tank a while back but just finally got through getting it all set up properly and completely. I had put up the tank but not done any of the plumbing. I had done the exhaust but some things just didn't seem to fit right. After ruining my graphite rings and then having to wait 2 weeks to get new ones..i was aggravated and just put it up kind of half-ass. Finally this Saturday i got in the garage and got it done....right!

Here are a few pics that might help others during the install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As mentioned previously, Happy Trails rack has to be modified
    [​IMG]

I filled up all tanks yesterday and didn't have any issue filling up the aux tank with the Happy Trails rack
    I am so glad i finally got this done:clap !
  20. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I understand these tanks won't work with the Jesse racks? Any plans for a modified version that will, or would it compromise the capacity too much to even make it worthwhile in your opinion?
    Know of any other built-in tanks that will work with Jesses?