KTM LC8 Exhaust and Auxillary Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The racks can be modified fairly readily (cutting/ welding required) but the Jesse bags sold for 950s turn in under the rack and that interferes, which is a bit more involved to fix. We don't have plans for another version- it's hard enough to pay for a mold once, let alone twice. I'm not aware of any other built in tank options at all, save the ginourmous aqualine front tanks, which IMO compromise handling when full.

Sorry I'm not more help!
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Yes I have the Odyssey II bags on my 990 and figured as much. I may go back to Plan A, which is gutting the left OEM pipe, extending it down with stainless and turning it into the aux tank.
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds fascinating. I saw pics of a V-STrom that had a Stealth Tool-tube like that.
  4. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

It's a LOT easier to cut and modify alumimum to fit around the Adventure tank. That is what I did to my Happy Trails Tarhee's which cut under on my 990 even more than the Jesse's.

Here is a pic after I cut out what was needed for clearance, cut the parts to fill it back in and then took to a good aluminum welder who put in solid beads. You can cut aluminum with a jigsaw, bandsaw or table saw, it's soft, and easy to file too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really think the Adventure tank was worth making the luggage mods for. :thumb
  5. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    I think in the case of the Jesses that the rack itself might interfere with the tank. Hard to say without seeing the tank.
    Just got an email back from the manufacturer that Safari tanks probably won't work with my Hepco crashbars too. It seems all my shots are hitting me squarely in the foot!

Hmm...Plan C...half fill the tires with Unleaded...Plan D - never go further than 75 miles away from the last gas stop
  6. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done the 2:1 who has FMF Ti Q2s pipes? The previous owner of my bike installed as below:

[​IMG]

I noticed there are 2 rubber/plastic rings pressed into each silencer (thin outer one, thicker inner one). Removing the outer one:

[​IMG]

the 2:1 flange fits into the header:
    [​IMG]

I'll try bending the 2:1 mounts to move the entire 2:1 outwards a little so the top goes in as far as the bottom. I think I just need the outer seal removed (not the inner). Does anyone know? Else I'll verify w/ FMF.
  7. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I've got FMF silencer. Don't recall any fitament issue like you are showing. I attached the FMF to the pipe first then went to tie it down to the frame. I had to do some doctoring to the subrame bracket to get it to mount up.

Here in the desert, no rust like that either. :eek1
  8. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Just looked at my leftover can. It has a flush flange. Yours is raised & rusted. Both my rings are installed. My pipe plate is flat on the can on the installed one.

Both my rings are metal.
    Let's take this to PM. Pics coming your way.
  9. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mounted up the tank with SW Motech quick release racks?
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We got your email, and I've been searching to find if a customer has done this before, without luck. So I'm curious for the answer, too!
  11. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. As far as I can tell looking at pictures, it should work. Worst case scenario - I will order the tank and racks and post up here if it DOESN'T work!
  12. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at modifying my KTM racks to gain clear access to the tank for fueling.
    Does anybody remember a thread with pics about cutting and relocating the rack back tubes to do that? Something about cutting them off and flipping them left to right side. :ear

I recall there being some issue with the turn signals. :huh

BTW- I did attempt a search in OC. Seems like the search engine has issues since the site upgrade. At least for me.
  13. SocalCPA

SocalCPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After seeing the pics of other 2007 990 Adventure's with this mod I had to do it. I am tired of constantly wondering where the next fill up will be. I ordered my tank and the 2 in 1 one pipe from Advtank.com and also install the Remus single can. My order was sent with the wrong instructions and short a couple of important parts, so I got part way through and had to let it sit for a few days. I did get my parts by the end of the next week.

Next, after it was complete, I noticed that the gas cap was going to be hard to get too; actually it would not go on with the KTM racks so I had to cut out the back support, hopefully that won't be a problem in the future.[​IMG]
    So here it is after the support was cut out
    [​IMG]

No harm done, after seeing how other racks are made, I don't think I will miss this, and I can have another support welded in a some point.

Today I took it out to see what type of mileage I would get from the tank. The only problem was when I hit the first good rutted out climb and really used the suspension the swingarm hit the mounting bracket. I knew it would be close but under flex (with a full tank) the room I measured was not enough. The tank functioned as promised and I ended up gettin gas at 240 miles, and filled my tanks with 5.11 gallons, and the aux tank with exactly 2 gallons, I think that was about the most I would want to push it. Here are the marks from the swingarm hitting the bracket, I am going to modify this bracket, or the tank is coming off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was hitting too. I just bent the tank's bracket (by the petcock) out. So far it has seem to clear.

Question about that valve you're using to vent the tank. Have you had the tank in warm weather yet? If so any problems with it?
  15. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Another mate found this link for me on the bracket subject.
    It is what I'll be doing. :clap
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605227
  16. SocalCPA

SocalCPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. SocalCPA

SocalCPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interestingly enough, it was around 90 here this weekend and I rode all day, on off road, some steep and rough. No problem with the motocross type vent, and I didn't like the long rubber hose that came with it.

BUT, one thing I forgot to mention about the 2 to 1, and I can't be positive since I have just done the install and this was my first ride; with the weather being very warm, and riding through stop and go traffic, some slow going off-road, I noticed that gas/vapor was coming from the right side tank.

I am wondering if the 2 to 1 is getting much hotter and heating up the tank back by the frame and the exhaust at the midpipe? Anyone experience this? Could it be an exhaust leak making things hot? Will wrapping with the exhaust wrap I see on race bikes help? Any advice appreciated.
  18. nevermind

nevermind Wrong Again

Oddometer:
    I ride in temps above 90F quite a bit with the 2-1 setup and never had that issue. In fact, my bike runs a lot cooler with the Wings can I installed with the setup. Are you now running a single stock can? If you are, that could be your issue. My Wings was much lighter and much, much cooler. One other question, did you make sure the vent hoses on the tanks are connected properly? Especially the one across the top?
  19. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have read of many problems with wrapping the exhaust. Mainly the pipes rusting out quickly.

To help prevent the gas from boiling I placed self adhesive silver heat sheild on back side of tank by the exhaust. I purchased it from Summit Racing.

I also have an additional fan mounted on radiator which has made a world of difference with the overall cooling of the bike.

Here the thread for the fan:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465977
  20. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    I noticed this rubbing problem and thought to myself "I need to bend that bracket" - unfortunately one big bounce later it caught and ripped the bracket out of the tank. I keep the tank bungeed to my racks now :cry

Make this modification ASAP.

Jeff