KTM leftover bike discounting expires?

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Ron_Luning, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that KTM this year is presenting 2 incentives for buyers currently:
    1) 0.99% APR up to 60 mos - visible to customer everywhere, stated to expire December 31, 2018
    2) variable factory to dealer incentives on leftover 2017/2018, depending on the model - not readily available to the customer

Does the factory to dealer incentive expire December 31 as well? I wouldn't suspect that it would because those same bikes will still be sitting there on the dealer floor if they go unsold, but stranger things have happened.

I've got a SDGT rental reserved for January, and based on my experience there I may be looking to acquire a 2018 1290 SA-S. Without the discounting, the bike is not worth it to me.

Also, can anyone post up the USA discounting schedule for KTM models?
  2. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local dealer seems willing to negotiate on a 2018 leftover. I've been wondering if there would be a discount on paying cash rather than 1% financing.
  3. wtmklr

wtmklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a down payment on a 2018 about 10 days ago. Discounted $4000cdn
    panzer likes this.
  4. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year they were still discounting in February. This year, at least one of our local Portland Metro dealers currenty has no leftover stock, 19s are on the floor.
  5. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    Although traditionally (meaning maybe it was true at some point in the past) the thinking is that cash should be discounted, the reality is that the dealer gets paid either way and financing may actually provide a bit of a kicker to the dealer. I wouldn't suspect that any non-shady dealership would specifically discount for cash/check payment.
    krussell likes this.
  6. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that places where it snows/ices are likely to not have much movement of street bike stock between now and Feb. Portland is just rainy this time of year as I understand it, so maybe that's a factor, or the dealer is just good at projecting sales.
  7. krussell

Oddometer:
    Some Pacific Nortwest Examples

Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser WA, has one 1290SAR @ 15,199, and a 1090 @ MSRP.
    Power in Sublimity OR has a 1090 @ 11,999, a 1290SAR @ 14,999
    See See KTM in Portland has a 1290SAR @ 15,249 and a 1090 @ 12,499
    Motosport Hillsboro near Portland has a 1090 @ 12,499, 1290SAR @ 15,199, 1290SAS @ 15,499, but they typically add $500 in BS fees to what they advertise.

Last year at this time there were considerably more bikes around.
  8. ebnelson

Oddometer:
    I have a high value trade-in so they should make money on both sides of the deal. Hard for me to imagine financing $2k. I guess it might help bring my credit score even higher.
  9. krussell

Oddometer:
    High value trade in? Hmm, something other than a motorcycle? :-)
  10. ebnelson

Oddometer:
    1290 SA. It felt more like a personal watercraft over the last couple of days commuting here.
  11. firecrotch

firecrotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You think there are discounts now??? Just wait till the new 790 comes out. You havent seen discounts yet. lol
  12. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine the 790 is going to contribute to significant discounts on 1290's. They are different bikes in different categories really. Might slightly eat into 1090 sales, but even that bike will have people that are interested in older tech as opposed to TFT dash and other newer tech.
    panzer and krussell like this.
  13. PowerfulPierre

PowerfulPierre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't the 1090 discontinued now the 790 is out?

There were no 1090's at the UK bike show a couple of weeks ago and they are being heavily discounted by the dealers at the mo which leads me to believe that they want them gone.
  14. RX2RIDE

RX2RIDE Adventurer

Oddometer:

Former bike salesmen here... Dealers hate cash, salesmen love it. Dealers get paid for every bike financed and want salesmen to push financing. They hate cash because people have a hard time realizing a debt card is not cash and the dealers pay a 3% fee (or more), often don't want to spend the extra money on additional products or warranty, etc... Salesmen love cash because as a busy dealership it is quick and easy and you don't have to worry about the persons credit.
    TheBritAbroad and Ron_Luning like this.
  15. firecrotch

firecrotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wondered if you have cash+mentioning an identical slightly better deal If it makes a difference in leverage for getting some $ off. There a slightly used 1190 near me going for 8900 for example with 17k miles on it. Theres an identical one same years across the country with only 4k miles on it on it going for 7800. Of course Id have to pay for shipping and the hassle of that.
  16. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    They had the same financing deals last summer, and they just kept moving the expiration date back. I bought mine in July with the advertised end date of july 31, but my dealer checked and the financing offer had been extended through August.
  17. whipit1k

whipit1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just go buy the SAS before KTM withdraws the large discount
    you won't hate it
  18. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the future of the 1090, but it's still available for US market for 2019. Seems to sell better here than Europe.
  19. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    I believe the 1090R was specifically developed for the US or at least had extensive testing done here.
  20. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of competition in the UK for the 1090S, not so much the R - but we have virtually no tracks or trails in the UK so most people want the more road orientated Adventure bikes.

The S Started off quite expensive, almost immediately got discounted by a grand, but by then the press had judged it at the higher price point so the reviews tended to be "good but a bit pricey" - so now KTM are having to discount them by about 25%. I think if they had put cruise control on it and better paintwork it would of looked more like a premium product at a fair price - or they should of had it 10% cheaper to match the lower priced 800 Triumphs and the Suzuki DL which is where it competes.

When the 790 comes out there will be a big gap between the smaller lighter 790 and the much bigger 1290, I think a more basic 1290 would be the answer - take off the TFT / Keyless / Semi Active suspension and knock £3k off the price, the production costs would be similar to the 1090, but the price would be 20% higher - I would buy one (at the end of the year when they knock another £2k off them)