KTM may have a new Adventurer on the drawing board

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pete640, Aug 21, 2015.

1. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Just buy some white wrap and some blue sharpie/textas and make your own Husky.:rofl
    Philthy1 likes this.
  2. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I think he means the second or third model, after the 790 has been de-bugged (well if not totally, less flawed.)
    Prototypes are so misleading. They look great and perform well, then the bean counters work out what the market will bear price wise and start to lower the quality of components to fit the need for profit /unit.
    Such is life! Sigh..........
    ozcruiser and darren70 like this.
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    It does look good in that video, apart from the steel protection plates.
    Unfortunately, we know we won't get that pipe set up plus a few of the other bits and pieces but it does look promising.
    Most of us would be changing the muffler at least, so maybe there will be an option available.
    The high seat looks so much better as well. I think my legs will still make it to the ground, you only need to touch the ground just before you fall off anyway.

They must be getting closer to a final spec surely? It's not that one though, it is one of the earlier prototypes.
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    No. He means the Husky.
    It's bit of a love hate thing Kym.

Although, as the(if there is one) Husky version would come a little later you would expect it to be a bit better sorted. Doubt there will be one though. Think the Huskies will stick to the lower capacities.
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    the ADV kidz colour in competition... :lol3 :deal

[​IMG]
    bikemoto, Sfcootz and bigborett like this.
  6. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    A good mate has started working for a dealership who represent ktm...

( dont shoot the messenger ) but a day in he sent me a text saying the 1290 was the best bike he has ever ridden ...

. a week later he sent me a text saying “Dude I don’t know about KTM anymore hey....they’re always in the shop here getting fixed, engines replaced parts falling off etc”
    I suggested that was because they are probably getting flogged off road ... he said the road bikes are coming in a lot too..

Besides the somewhat odd looks the 790 looks like it could be a popular bike . Lets hope it well made .
    Fearless Whetu, Cruz and darren70 like this.
  7. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is working in a bike shop! They see the broken bikes. The KTM Rallye had just a few bikes not finish out of about 300, that were ridden to the event, on the event and then ridden home. At least KTM has increased sales each year and r/d to improve the bikes instead of BNG.
    stumps, stujamur, bigborett and 2 others like this.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Perhaps he should have worked at a different dealership if he didn't want to work on KTM's.
    Be interesting to know how many motors and which ones, rather than an offhand comment from someone that uses dude in normal conversation.:-)
  9. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It's a good bet though that you see lots of broken bits in a bike shop otherwise they would not exist.
    Look in any dealers workshop and there are horror stories just waiting to be told...
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude? Honda dealership calling!
    bigborett and Dukehunt like this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :nod OF course... any mechanic who works at a brand specific motorcycle dealership/workshop is going to see the horror stories of the specific brand that the dealership sells. :norton Compounded by the fact that warranty claims and new model recalls/first model illnesses always make the most noise/attract the most attention... So, it is easy to understand why they "see" (or remember?) only the crap issues. But it can be a distorted view... you have to look at the percentage of the brand/model sold... not just the horror stories - because ALL makes/models have them...

oh...

... except for CCM and AJP... it seems they are flawless brands, with no horror stories...

... 'cause they don't have any dealerships or workshop staff to tell them... :imaposer

:hide
  12. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stujamer is a great guy. Wonder how his years on a Husky has warped his mind! Oh $hit, that’s my next bike, unless the Unikorn shows up!
    bigbrad likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    ...and sometimes it's the dealership that causes the horror stories. I could tell you a couple...

...in fact I could tell you many thousands while we wait for this orange unicorn to ever show up, but I'd rather be riding my lightweight factory built KTM Adventure bike.
    stujamur and AUSSIEADV like this.
  14. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll wait for the Husky 801 it will be the 790R new and improved model :jack
    Vertical C likes this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can’t call it an 801 Bruce. The 801 will be a version of your bike with the twin init.
    Dukehunt likes this.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    They haven't done much to fully fix known faults on some models that have been known for a few years now. That is the big negative against KTM for me. Quite a few friends have had f@#$ed bikes with the same known problems for a few years. They don't even want to talk about it on forums etc because they want to move the bikes on without doing a heap of money. As Stu mentioned re his mate, friend of mine owned a 640 and loved it, loved the 950SM etc and really liked the brand. Started working at a big multi brand dealer and was a bit shocked by the amount of KTMs with problems in the workshop every day. Changed his view about the company. When you look at certain models sales figures in Australia, which aren't high if you look at the top 10 in each range of new bikes sold, then the problems dont add up for me.
    Hopefully they will improve their problem fixing development as well as they push their Ready to Race philosophy.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce, sales figures can be a bit misleading. With the likes of KTM offering a substantial range compared to others the sales figures will be scattered across this range.

Yeah, no excuse for not addressing issues. It is the very reason I became anti Honda.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    In the ADV market, above 500cc, the sales figures added up still aren't huge compared to other brands.
  19. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:

But as with any brand, you only hear about the problems, not many people use forums to spruik how good there bike is, and what are some peoples problem's aren't for major issues for others. Alot of people have opinions on things they have never owned and only go by what others have said. In the end you do your homework, make a choice and deal with it. Get the best that you can live with and enjoy it. No all bikes are suited to there owners, or more importantly, owners making poor choices for themselves. Things are getting trickier though, with all the electronics on bikes these days, it does make it more difficult for average Joe to fault find etc.
    Wodger63 and Cruz like this.
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    One also has to remember and don't think many would deny this, that KTM's are a more highly stressed bike, performance wise than most. So without the proper maintenance I would expect a higher failure rate. That's the price you pay and it is one many of us are quite prepared to pay.
    Have to agree, the fuel pump and rocker arms should have been fixed on the 690's long ago.

@Cruz , how many of your 390 parts come in a KTM bag or with a KTM casting on them?

I really doubt there will be an "801". Don't think Husky will move up the capacities. The higher capacities will be left for KTM I believe.
    DeLewis likes this.