KTM may have a new Adventurer on the drawing board

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pete640, Aug 21, 2015.

1. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    He is a sales guy , as i said dont shoot the messenger ,,, just sharing his observations.
    There is other jap brands at the same shop and ye he is pretty green so take from it what you will
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Thanks gordon
    I am keen for a change
    Maybe a 701 or 790 or t7
    Be a while away as gotta save the $ and want to wait & see these new bikes in the flesh
    Cruz likes this.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  4. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    DeLewis likes this.
  5. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the local dealer, or at least his parts guy is 16 and a knob.

Almost everything inside that 390 70deg motor along with my 450 and the 570's is KTM.

It does amuse me when people that are riding Berg's or Huskies for that matter rag on KTM, when in actual fact, that is what they are riding. A repackaged KTM. Of course there are points of difference otherwise they wouldn't sell (that of course only refers to Huskies now, unfortunately) but when it comes to the reliability stakes, they fell from the same tree.
    Wodger63 and 0405canvet like this.
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    I like it that much got another to ride for when I park & keep it. This one is not getting sold untill I cark it!!
  7. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    recently, pre 2009 Husaberg models are not KTMs, although the last ones were manufactured in Austria. KTM acquired Husaberg to learn how to make 4 strokes.
    Moff52, Dukehunt, Cruz and 1 other person like this.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Yes. My 1190 has been very reliable so far, possibly a little more stressed than the 950/990's, with 150hp. But none the less reliable.
    Don't really think that the poor reliability digs are pointed towards the twins.
    Wodger63 and Dukehunt like this.
  9. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    True. Bought it in '95 I think wasn't it.
    Mainly to, as you say get their 4stroke smarts. Story I heard was that it was the 501 motor that is in my 2000 model that they wanted. So smooth.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 390 'ktm' friends also bought 2 450 and one 400exc. All of them had stuffed motors and a number of rebuilds and sold them off. Then KTM went back to how the 'other' ktm engine was made to have reliable engines again. My 390 so far just happily keeps on keeping on. Quite happy my bike is not a real KTM.:clap:clap:clap
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Yep, about then; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husaberg

Adapted the 'berg top end to the 2t KTM bottom end, more or less for the RFS 2000 models.

I still have my '98 which is still a good thing.
    bigborett and Cruz like this.
  12. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I flogged living piss out of an 08 450 exc for the better part of 3 years, maintained it and sold it cause I broke down.

Cam chain tensioner was replaced as a preventitive measure, straightened the sub frame after to many failed hills but aside from that it was just regular consumables.
    Put a new top end in it while I was healing just for the hell of it and everything was still in spec. Coulda gone another year or two on the original.

Not sure I'd attack the longevity or reliability of a well maintained KTM...
    For me, it's more the fact they're a bit more highly strung and require you to be on top of your maitenance schedule. If you're happy to do that and go into it with that in mind, can't see a KTM being any less reliable than anything else...... unless of course you ride a 690. Then as long as you have the factory racing support truck following, you should be sweet :lol3

Husky is the thinking mans KTM isn't it?:augie
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    KSP were no different. “Oh you’ll have to try a Husky dealer” when most parts are 530/500EXC.

I’ve had plenty of KTM’s, never babied and no horror stories.
    Wodger63, Dukehunt and 0405canvet like this.
  14. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of the poor press regarding KTMs can be attributed to the change to EFI technology and the corresponding shift in troubleshooting techniques.
    Once people embrace the change in technology and get familiar with new systems many of the issues have gone away or become accepted as the new norm just like cleaning carby jets.
    Comments re highly strung "ready to race" machinery is also true, like buses compared to formula one race cars there will always be a difference in the longevity of the machinery designed for such different uses.
    • Buses = low performance, minimum maintenance, maximum kms.
    • Formula One = Max performance, maximum maintenance, minimum kms.
    These are obviously extremes but each bike sits somewhere between these extremes and not just the motor but suspension and quality of build, obviously the lighter a bike is made the more vulnerable it also becomes.
  15. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are mainly talking about 10+ year old bikes, maybe catch up a bit.
  16. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well there is that.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez I’d hate to go back to carb!

The EFI Bergs had issues with the thimble filter at 10 micron at the fuel rail. Seriously this filter was so tiny at 10 micron it was going to cause issues prematurely. They increased the micron to 20. :fpalm Cheap fix. Hardly sufficient for an EFI system. What should have been done is run a decent filter at the quick disconnect ala ZipTy Golan. Some preventive measures taken would help some from bitching at the local dealership workshop.

Nevertheless, the highly strung likes of the KTM/Berg are clocking up some serious mileage. An EFI Berg with 900 hrs on it. One owner complaining of a just detectable “tick” at 723 hrs. :hmmmmm
    Blakduk likes this.
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Heap of rubbish, I say.
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Corrected the spelling for ya mate. :D
    bigborett likes this.
  20. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    The 10 micron white conical filter was introduced on the 690 by a Tech Bulletin and installed at the injector elbow inlet, which caused issues, I see now that my 2016 has the 20 micron grey version installed at the quick disconnect fitting, so it appears that KTM do R&D just don't tell anyone.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.