Ktm my ride - enhancements needed

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ZiggyInNc, Mar 24, 2020.

1. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Care to share?
  2. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so I'm hopefully not distracting too much from the original topic of this thread.

I plan to open source my code - so more details later when it's ready (unfortunately I can't really test it now with the more strict corona virus lock-down :-()
    But here are the basics (to find out more JSON requests I suggest to dump the bluetooth packets send by the MyRide Nav app...):
    • connect the the Bluetooth UUID cc4c1fb3-482e-4389-bdeb-57b7aac889ae on the paired phone
    • now the format of every message is:
    • 4 byte big endian length field of the following data
    • 1 byte field with value 1 (I guess it may be protocol version number or so??)
    • JSON string with the request e.g. to display the GPS icon:
      • Code:
        {
            "UiContext": "default",
            "UpdateUI": {
                "GpsIcon": {
                    "Image": "GPS",
                    "Visibility": "full"
                }
            },
            "MsgId": "Restore#1"
        }

change "full" to "half" if you want a grey icon...

On a different topic... I tried to find out more about the dash and see if it's maybe possible to run our own code on it (would be cool to display the map in the dash and maybe also a permanent fix for disabling traction control or ABS). I did find the KTM open sourced code archives unfortunately it seems like it's only for the Bosch type displays in the 1290 and not for the JNS Instruments units we have in the 790?!? But in general it does look like the Linux on it (Bosch unit) is super old and should have some vulnerabilities.

So afterwards I did look around the FCC registrations in order to find internal pictures of the dash to maybe get a bit more infos (I don't play on opening mine because the display is so expensive :-(). Unfortunately I could not find one for the 790 :-(.
    But I did find ones for the 390 and 1290 series: (Click on Internal/External Photographs on the following links to see the interesting stuff)
    390 Display made by JNS Instruments

1290 Display made by Bosch

Will let you inmates know if I stumbled on to something interesting. If anybody knows more, has a firmware dump etc... - I would be very interested.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have never played (in a developer sense) with bluetooth on my phone. Perhaps I'll look at this if/when I run out of current projects while staying at home. Even if it means I'll have to buy the KTM My Ride app ;)
  4. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    :kboom
    V1Vr likes this.
  5. undingen

undingen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2259214 I have an update concerning the 3rd party app(s).
    First thing: as expected I did not get a reply from KTM about my dash questions - must be because of Covid19 I assume ;)

Unfortunately I also got stuck with the OsmAnd plugin - it keep on freezing and is unusable :(. But I plan to look into this in the future (maybe it needs a different approach)

I took this setback as a opportunity to think again about the problem and what you folks and I seem to not like about the KTM app (man on my device it does not even reconnect and I have to close and restart it!? - when bringing the bike home from the dealer I took a few detours because I couldn't get it working). This let me create a new android app which uses google maps and displays the direction on the dash.

It works by listening to the notifications - so it requires no new map app just start navigating your route in gmaps and run my app.
    Kind of a crappy way to fake not having proper android car support.

One of the problems I run into while implementing this is that the notification don't include the turn action as text - only show up as icons (which are slightly different between devices). As I could not find a way to display custom images in the KTM dash I had to train an AI instead to tell me which icon it's currently seeing in the notification and than translate to the name of the corresponding icon on the motorcycle (not only the AI learned a bunch of stuff while doing that :p)
    It seems to work but will fail for icons it did not see before (I think I caught the most common ones but will add more later on). Also this approach is limited: I can't show more information than Google maps is displaying inside the notification :(.

You can give it a shot here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.undingen.maps4ktm
    The app is for free and without advertisement (but with a "donation" functionality if somebody finds it's useful -
    hope it's appropriate to link to it else please let me know and I will modify my post)
    If you drive on the left side of the road please let the app know in the settings screen or it will display roundabouts incorrect.
    This is the first public beta release and I could only test it slightly so don't expect too much (here be dragons) but I did find it useful. Also my bike is currently in for the leaking coolant and the break recall so will likely only able to fix bugs starting from next week when I got it back.

I also plan to add features like e.g. showing phone battery percentage or maybe GPS speed later on (and reading advrider on the dash)

Feedback is welcome :)
    kzeb, [Art], ST3Martin and 5 others like this.
  6. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Unfortunately I only have an iPhone or i would be glad to try it out! Good luck with the beta.
  7. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't yet tried the KTM MyRide app, and after reading this, I am not in a hurry to? Can't wait for moto manufacturers with these nice new TFT displays to learn the lesson the auto manufacturers did about wasting their time and money on trying to build anything better than Google / Apple.

I get that there's a lot of software development going into bikes now, but re-inventing google maps or other nav programs? That's a level of hubris-induced stupidity that auto manufacturers were only capable of (looking at Ford and MyFordTouch / Sync), and are now (as of the last 4 yrs) coming off it and we're seeing a lot more of android auto / apple carplay as standard infotainment options.

Looks like Honda already learned this with the Africa Twin.
    BobcatSig, CaseyB and comradecasey like this.
  8. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. I had hoped that the my ride would just use google maps for routing and display directions on the tft
  9. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe getting leapfrogged by a competitor will give them the kick in the ass they need?

FWIW - I use mine all the time because it’s convenient but I don’t have a lot of faith in it and have to verify it’s routing. I also get the random freezes where it won’t update the TFT.

As for the delayed response (telling you to turn after you passed the intersection) I find it works better when the phone has a clearer view of the sky; i.e., a chest pocket works better than a pants pocket. Backpack also works well if you have a pouch that holds it up high. It’s not a cure all as the app does suck, but it’s an improvement.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  10. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to share the code implementing the protocol? Just to see if I can make something work on an iPhone.
    alonad, ZiggyInNc and comradecasey like this.
  11. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a multi day ride through unfamiliar areas and decided to use the ktm navigation ap and found it frustrating. It works well if you just want to get from a to b using the most direct route. This is almost never the case for me. I like to plan a route using specific roads, and this is very cumbersome to do with the ap. On google maps you'd simply drag the route to the roads you wanna take, takes a few seconds. On the ktm ap, you have to set the destination, then manually ad waypoints between the start and end points by finding an address to set each waypoint to. I found it very time consuming to do on the phone. Then if you don't hit a waypoint exactly while riding and just pass near it, the ap will keep trying to redirect you back to the waypoint, so you have to stop and pull out your phone and manually delete that waypoint. There should be a way to skip a waypoint using the bike controls. It would be great if ktm would allow us to use google maps, or if they'd at least update their ap to fix some of these deficiencies. The ability to plan a route in google maps and then import it to the ktm ap would be great. Maybe if enough of us complain to them, they might take it seriously.
  12. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    I just gave up and purchased a Garmin Zumo xt a while back: I haven’t seen any enhancements nor responses to my requests for enhancements since I bought the bike back in November.

It’s kind of disappointing though as I had hoped when I purchased the bike the integrated app would have negated the need to do that. For sure the my ride app wouldn’t have gotten me through the MABDR last week :-)
  13. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess we should have questioned why they didn’t realease any marketing material showing the user interface or user experience, just listed everything that could be possible if it weren’t basically useless because of the implementation
  14. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it says something when the bike comes with a spot to mount a stand-alone GPS.
    ZiggyInNc and windblown101 like this.